Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: Take a Knee

  1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,288
    #81
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    Did you see the video where the wife of "him" has to nudge him to put his hand over his heart?
    He should be... FIRED.

    Of course she reminded him. She's a naturalised citizen, and the powers that be TEST immigrants on things like this before they let them stay. If she didn't know it, she wouldn't have been allowed to become a citizen.

    He, on the other hand, never took that test, and has probably forgotten every basic civics class he ever sat through.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Of course she reminded him. She's a naturalised citizen, and the powers that be TEST immigrants on things like this before they let them stay. If she didn't know it, she wouldn't have been allowed to become a citizen.

    He, on the other hand, never took that test, and has probably forgotten every basic civics class he ever sat through.
    it's not a requirement to put your hand over your heart, just a custom. those in uniform don't do it. In fact, my husband never does even when out of uniform because he's been trained to stand with his hands at his side, it's just not something he thinks about.


  3. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,326
    #83
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    it's not a requirement to put your hand over your heart, just a custom. those in uniform don't do it. In fact, my husband never does even when out of uniform because he's been trained to stand with his hands at his side, it's just not something he thinks about.
    somehow I don't believe it's the case that he knows what is customary and what is not. I could be wrong.

    I would pay good money to see him recite the pledge and/or the anthem from memory.
  4. Regular Member
    LifeHappens's Avatar
    LifeHappens is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    197
    #84
    Correct, the "he" in the video did not HAVE to do anything in regard to the flag or the anthem.
    But as Hillary Clinton pointed out (on a different issue):
    People in covfefe houses shouldn't throw covfefe.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,288
    #85
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    it's not a requirement to put your hand over your heart, just a custom. those in uniform don't do it. In fact, my husband never does even when out of uniform because he's been trained to stand with his hands at his side, it's just not something he thinks about.
    Your average immigrant thinks fairly hard about the customs and norms (both the legally mandated ones and the unspoken ones...and this one is not entirely unspoken, it's in your Flag Code, section 171) of their new country, in ways that someone born there might never need to. One WANTS to fit in, the other already has by default.

    The point stands. She would remind him because she had to consciously learn it...and because if she didn't do it, questions would be asked. People already shit on her for her accent, and for her very-good-but-not-perfect English. You don't think there would be a backlash if someone with a foreign name and an accented voice didn't treat the anthem with the expected reverence? In THIS context, when people not being reverent enough is the whole debate?
    Last edited by Matchbox; 09-30-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    tremblingturtle's Avatar
    tremblingturtle is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    14,195

    #86
    I am over it. I wish that the brutality would just end.

    After recent events in St Louis, everyone was saying they were fine with peaceful protest, but when they bring sports into the mix? I guess it is no longer fine. Everyone was all upset over a BLM sign at a baseball game. A sign. Held peacefully. Everyone is all up in arms about people literally doing nothing but kneeling. And then as a nation we wonder why peacefully protesting escalates into rioting.
  7. ...and carry a towel.
    Space Hedgehog's Avatar
    Space Hedgehog is offline
    ...and carry a towel.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,979
    #87
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Right now.. all I see is that these actions, even if peaceful, is more dividing of America.

    the minute you start questioning the flag or the anthem is the moment you divide America. As mentioned, we aren't perfect, we have history. But what country in this world hasn't had the same or more issues than us?
    Do you think Germans are screaming and yelling about their flag and what it represents? That flag could essentially make all Jewish feel oppressed, all East Germans feel oppressed.. do you see them out protesting what the flag and their Anthem means? Pick a country.. I am sure there isn't one out there that hasn't had the same sordid past that we have had, yet they are not protesting what it means. All I can say is, based on events in the past few years America has taken about 5000 steps backwards, instead of moving forward. And to me that is all this protest is. Its setting America back, and I foresee another Civil War in the not to distant future.... again, all my opinion, no one has to like it or agree with it.
    Just coming out of the woodwork to day Germany is the worst possible example for this. One, because Nazi Germany had another flag. This flag, the one of Germany today, is decidedly not associated with the Nazi period. It was the flag of the Weimar Republic first, the Nazis changed it, and then it was reinstated post WWII. Germany would never use the Nazi symbols to represent itself... both because of that it would mean to the Jews, Gypsies, gays, and political dissidents and their descendants... and because of what it means to Germans. So in your example, then, if national unity would mean asking German jews to stand for and salute the swastika, then not only they would protest... Germans would. And it would also be absolute political suicide to react to it like Trump did.

    Incidentally, almost the same is true of the German national anthem. While part of the same song, "Deutschlandlied", was used in Nazi times, and today, the Nazis used only the first stanza (the one that starts with "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles", or "Germany, Germany above all"). Today only the third stanza is the national anthem, and the first explicitly is NOT. So today the German national anthem starts with "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" - "Unity, justice and freedom."

    And second, Germany and Germans speak and learn a LOT about their dark history, their national shame, and are decidedly not dismissive of people's pain or concerns about it. Also, I cannot even imagine the reaction if it turned out German police was more brutal towards Jewish people here than towards others. And lastly, Germany decidedly does NOT have the worshipful attitude towards flag or anthem that the US does. In fact, the US obsession with hanging flags everywhere makes most Germans (and me... then again, I am a naturalised citizen) distinctly uncomfortable. And don't even get me started on the whole Confederate flag thing...

    So if anything, I would say Germany is an example against your point.

    And yes, I do know that I am saying all this as a nationalist party made it into the German parliament again. Believe me, there is a lot of dialogue about it here. But again... we are talking 13% of people. And 87% are currently engaged in very earnest soul-searching about how the hell did we let this happen, with our history.

    Okay, now back to regular programming.
    Last edited by Space Hedgehog; 10-01-2017 at 02:41 PM.
  8. Senior Member
    HerAirmansLove's Avatar
    HerAirmansLove is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    KAFB
    Posts
    2,389
    #88
    One of the guys stationed here has done locker room interviews with some of the players after their games in London and they've voiced nothing but appreciation and respect for our military. I think the fact that people are so upset about these protest says a lot about WHY they are protesting in the first place. They just want people to listen and realize that as Americans, there is no reason anyone should feel unwelcome in our country (especially because of the color of our skin). We perpetuate this idea that America is soooo great because we are so diverse and inclusive but to millions, this is not reality. I was once told that if someone tells you you've hurt them you don't get to tell them that you didn't. The same thing applies here, if someone tells you they feel unwelcome in America or like less of an American, who are you to say that's not true? If we truly wanted to be united we would listen to each other and make sure we all feel like we belong. The very fact that people are so up in arms tells me that Americans don't give a shit about us.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •