Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88

Thread: Take a Knee

  1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    HisJuliet's Avatar
    HisJuliet is offline
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Together Again!
    Posts
    9,066
    #11
    Advertisements
    I guess I'm #overit My facebook is political minefield because I live in the heart of Trump county, but I have a lot of liberal friends from outside the area. Personally, I'm tired of politics in entertainment. Movies/professional sports used to be an escape, now there is politics at every turn. But, I understand that they are people too and have the right to their opinions. So, I guess, they have every right to do it. Heck, pre 9/11, the players weren't even on the field for the anthem.

    My issues is that I understand that the basis for the protest is racial disparity and poor treatment of black persons by the police specifically. But what I don't understand is what it will take to end the protest. I would gladly accept someone informing me of this, because I don't understand. I know the goal is to raise awareness and get the police to treat all persons with dignity and respect, but I don't know what it will take to say Mission Accomplished KWIM?
  2. Senior Member
    HerAirmansLove's Avatar
    HerAirmansLove is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    KAFB
    Posts
    2,389
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I mean exactly what I said. They have freedom of speech and the right to peaceful protest, and I support those rights. What I think about why they are doing what they're doing is irrelevant, i.e whether it's disrespectful or not, well intentioned or not, pertinent or not, doesn't matter.
    I mean, I would have gotten the same information if you had omitted the latter point, so apparently, it's relevant in some way. I may have interpretted it incorrectly but I felt it was extremely passive-aggressive.
  3. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    all the military experts come out during this kind of stuff!
    I saw one on FB this morning that said that the military leadership should be so offended by this disrespect that they prohibit all service members from watching sports games to show solidarity to each other. I was like... yeah, sure, all those people in the military are gonna be SO GRATEFUL they're not allowed to watch football/hockey/whomever else is protesting anymore
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I believe in peaceful protest and freedom of speech. My thoughts on the content of their protest are irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerAirmansLove View Post
    I'm a little confused by this. Do you care to clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I mean exactly what I said. They have freedom of speech and the right to peaceful protest, and I support those rights. What I think about why they are doing what they're doing is irrelevant, i.e whether it's disrespectful or not, well intentioned or not, pertinent or not, doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerAirmansLove View Post
    I mean, I would have gotten the same information if you had omitted the latter point, so apparently, it's relevant in some way. I may have interpretted it incorrectly but I felt it was extremely passive-aggressive.
    I'd like to hear your opinion though, B! Your first post was really cryptic and after all, it's a debates thread where differing (not necessarily irrelevant) opinions are supposed to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I saw one on FB this morning that said that the military leadership should be so offended by this disrespect that they prohibit all service members from watching sports games to show solidarity to each other. I was like... yeah, sure, all those people in the military are gonna be SO GRATEFUL they're not allowed to watch football/hockey/whomever else is protesting anymore
    hahahahah what even!? People on FB are the worst.
  5. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #15
    I'm actually really pleasantly surprised that so many teams have spoken out, I'm not sure what it's gonna accomplish but I like that so many people are doing it.

    I haaaaate all these people saying they're there to entertain/they have a right to protest but they're going about it the wrong way. Like how exactly? This is their platform. What else should they do, pray tell? This is like the single most peaceful and passive form of protest. The people bitching wouldn't be ok with anything they did. They're still playing the game. I really don't get what the "right" way to protest is, if this isn't it. Nobody else seems to have any good ideas either. I also hate that people are comparing it to Tim Tebow kneeling in prayer and being persecuted for it as if this is at all comparable?? People weren't offended that he was doing that because they took it as disrespectful to the flag/America/the military/veterans/wtf ever, they were offended because it's annoying. Completely different situation but white Christian guys love playing the victim and making things about them, what's new.
  6. Senior Member
    HerAirmansLove's Avatar
    HerAirmansLove is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    KAFB
    Posts
    2,389
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm actually really pleasantly surprised that so many teams have spoken out, I'm not sure what it's gonna accomplish but I like that so many people are doing it.

    I haaaaate all these people saying they're there to entertain/they have a right to protest but they're going about it the wrong way. Like how exactly? This is their platform. What else should they do, pray tell? This is like the single most peaceful and passive form of protest. The people bitching wouldn't be ok with anything they did. They're still playing the game. I really don't get what the "right" way to protest is, if this isn't it. Nobody else seems to have any good ideas either. I also hate that people are comparing it to Tim Tebow kneeling in prayer and being persecuted for it as if this is at all comparable?? People weren't offended that he was doing that because they took it as disrespectful to the flag/America/the military/veterans/wtf ever, they were offended because it's annoying. Completely different situation but white Christian guys love playing the victim and making things about them, what's new.
    Toxic religion and masculinity?
  7. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,323
    #17
    I have lost more friends over this....

    They have every right, and I totally support them. White silence is white compliance.

    I asked, just to be sure, if dh felt like he was being disrespected for the kneeling, have you ever noticed all the people claiming it is disrespecting our militart are NOT in our military?

    Furthermore, I never IN MY LIFE thought I would have to ask someone if they were a nazi sympathizer. An old (and no longer) friend if mine said they should all be fired. I asked what she thought should happen to the neo nazis, she in return asked if THEY had been a public disgrace to our nation... um FUCK YES NAZIS ARE A PUBLIC DISGRACE TO OUR NATION!!!!

    I am sick that cheeto face can't come out and say how terrible white supremacists are but will call kneelers "son if a bitch," and WHY is the "leader" of the free world speaking like that?!?!?!
    Why on EARTH should I have to worry when the president comes on tv that my kids will hear something inappropriate?

    I'm going to be on blood pressure medication when this is over.
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,238
    #18
    Neo-Nazis = "very fine people"

    Peacefully protesting athletes = "get that son of a bitch off the field!"

    Riiiiiiight. This isn't the first time athletes have used their public status to protest race issues (remember this?) but it IS the first time a President has been unable to stop himself having public tantrums about it. That picture's from 1968. LBJ was notoriously thin skinned, but he still didn't make the public statements like Trump has.

    Does he not have other things to think about right now? I know it's easy for normal people to forget that Puerto Ricans are Americans in every way but one, but the government should remember.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    amandalouwho2's Avatar
    amandalouwho2 is offline
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jarrell, Texas
    Posts
    10,443


    #19
    It’s their right to peacefully protest how they see fit. I guarantee you not one person who is bitching about them kneeling/staying in locker rooms whatever is standing every Thursday/Sunday/Monday when they air the games on TV they’re probably sitting happily on their couches waiting for the games to start. So it’s hypocritical IMO.

    I also saw somewhere that the teams weren’t even on the fields until 2009, that they would usually be in the locker rooms anyways. It’s their platform, I really hate when people say celebrities aren’t entitled to an opinion because they’re famous... like that’s their choice to do what they want with their plantform, whether we like it or not they’re still people and have rights too.


  10. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    It’s their right to peacefully protest how they see fit. I guarantee you not one person who is bitching about them kneeling/staying in locker rooms whatever is standing every Thursday/Sunday/Monday when they air the games on TV they’re probably sitting happily on their couches waiting for the games to start. So it’s hypocritical IMO.

    I also saw somewhere that the teams weren’t even on the fields until 2009, that they would usually be in the locker rooms anyways. It’s their platform, I really hate when people say celebrities aren’t entitled to an opinion because they’re famous... like that’s their choice to do what they want with their plantform, whether we like it or not they’re still people and have rights too.
    Right? Sorry them speaking up against injustice is getting in the way of your entertainment they're American citizens too.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •