Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Significant Other = Best Friend?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Significant Other = Best Friend?

Advertisements
    I was just wondering, do you think your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancé/husband/wife should be your BEST FRIEND?

Having some trouble dealing with the fact that my boyfriend (of 2 years) doesn't consider me as his BEST FRIEND. He considers another woman to be his best friend. I'm just "one" of his few best friends. I just feel off about that.

Just wanted some insight!
    Last edited by jaybeez55; 10-08-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: added more info
  2. Senior Member
    Hmmm. I call my dear friend of 20 years my best friend. If someone asked who my best friend was, I'd say her name. But I also consider my DH my best friend. It's just that if someone uses the term, I tend to assume they mean the more traditional meaning.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Different types of freinds. How long has he known each of you?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Me: 3 years (dated 2), her: 5 years
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybeez55 View Post
    Does "her" mean the person he calls his BFF? Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that this is another woman, than with just the 'best friend' label? Would you really feel the same way if the person he called his best friend was a man he'd know since he was 8 years old (as an example)?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    I was just wondering, do you think your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancé/husband/wife should be your BEST FRIEND?

Having some trouble dealing with the fact that my boyfriend (of 2 years) doesn't consider me as his BEST FRIEND. He considers another woman to be his best friend. I'm just "one" of his few best friends. I just feel off about that.

Just wanted some insight!
    If someone asked I'd probably say one of my friends names. DH is my partner and knows me better than anyone, but I don't typically refer to him as a best friend.

I think it's just a phrase. I wouldn't be too concerned by it. And I agree with PP, would it be different if he had said his best friend was a man?

7. Senior Member
    That's just something silly to worry about. You're his girlfriend, he loves you, do you need to claim ALL the titles? Do you have a problem with it because this other person is a woman?

My DF had a best friend but he also considers me his best friend and vice versa. I don't care that he calls someone else his best friend. I had an ex who had a female best friend. Didn't bother me.

If someone were to ask me who my best friend was, I would tell them it was my "traditional best girlfriend" if that makes sense. It wouldn't immediately occur to mention my DF.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Hmmm. I call my dear friend of 20 years my best friend. If someone asked who my best friend was, I'd say her name. But I also consider my DH my best friend. It's just that if someone uses the term, I tend to assume they mean the more traditional meaning.
    Can't agree more with this. DH is definitely my best friend and I tell him this. I'm closer with him than anyone else, however when I'm talking to other people I call my close friend my best friend.

I don't think it should bother you. Perhaps you are reading into this too much. My DH has a LOT of very close friends, both male and female. Your DB is with you for a reason.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you to everyone for replying!!!
    It's just that I get jealous sometimes and I just always thought your SO was suppose to be your #1 best friend.
    I'm glad I got other people's thoughts about it!
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    And yeah, I must admit the whole "she's a woman" thing felt weird to me. He has a few man best friends but he always considers her his #1 "bestie."

Just something I have to get use to!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast