Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Significant Other = Best Friend?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    To me they are two completely different titles. The only possible way my husband could be my best friend would be if I married my best friend. My best friends have been that since middle school, so meeting and marrying my husband doesn't change that.

I never understood why that title is important, though. The title of 'wife' or 'husband' means so much more than the title of friend. It means you've chosen them, above all others, to make a life with you.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. Moderator

I don't say "should be" about anyone's relationship but my own. MY husband should be my best friend, and I his, yes. Doesn't have to be that way for others, but that's how we work. We don't do social. We have one couple we're friends with enough to hang out fairly regularly, but other than that, we are each other's social life and we like it that way.
  3. Moderator

My best friend is my best girlfriend. She and I have a unique bond. She is godmother to my kids and my person. It just so happens that her husband is my husband's best friend. Through the boys is how she and I met.

My husband is my husband. We are a team and he is the love of my life. I just wouldn't describe him as my best friend. If someone were to ask us who our best friends are, we would each say the name of the other couple. But, he is who I chose to share my love and life with. It's just different.

I wouldn't get too hung up on labels. He has chosen to love you and be with you. But, it's okay to have friends outside of you too.
  4. Senior Member
    I wanted to be best friends with my SO. One of the reasons I had such a hard time with my ex was that he considered another girl his best friend and not me. My ex also ended up cheating on me with that girl and went out with her as soon as I ended it with him. With DH we were best friends before we dated and we're still best friends. For me living with someone for the rest of your life it would seem to make sense for them to be your best friend.
  5. Senior Member
    Nah. I pretty much cringe when I hear the term best friend applied to an SO. Different strokes for different folks I guess
  6. Senior Member
    I don't want to date somebody that I wouldn't be best friends with, but I don't need one person to fill every role in my life.
  7. Senior Member
    Yeah I don't think there's anything weird about someone having a best friend that isn't their partner? It would bug me if they shared more personal things with their bestie before me or instead of me all of the time. But to call someone else their number one bestie would be fine?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My husband is my best friend; but, we do have other ones too. We are so exclusive that we can't operate without one another.

We both need those people that we can just bounce things off and sometimes, it is of the opposite sex.

I would try to figure out why you are feeling upset over this. It feels a bit controlling to me.

JMO
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post

I would try to figure out why you are feeling upset over this. It feels a bit controlling to me.

JMO
    I was going to say this too. Would you feel differently if said best friend was a man? Are you upset because she's a girl? You're basically making him feel bad because he has a best friend other than you. Someone he's known a lot longer and ideally you want him to stop best friends with her so he can be your best friend. That's a little bit childish and controlling.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    I was going to say this too. Would you feel differently if said best friend was a man? Are you upset because she's a girl? You're basically making him feel bad because he has a best friend other than you. Someone he's known a lot longer and ideally you want him to stop best friends with her so he can be your best friend. That's a little bit childish and controlling.
    She never said she wanted him to stop being best friends with her lol. Idk I think it's natural to want to be your SO's #1 everything when you've been together so long. She's just asking for our opinions, she's given us no indication that she's over there being a psycho over it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast