Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Athletes Stitting/Kneeling During the National Anthem

1. Senior Member

Athletes Stitting/Kneeling During the National Anthem

Advertisements
    This isnít exactly a new story, but Iím surprised it hasnít been discussed on here.

In case you hadnít heard, it all started with Colin Kaepernick:

Colin Kaepernick: I'll continue to sit during national anthem - NFL.com

"Yes, I'll continue to sit. I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed," Kaepernick said during an 18-minute interview session with reporters. "To me, this is something that has to change. When there's significant change, and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent and this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."
    And has since spread like wild fire:

NWSL Seattle Reign, U.S. women's national team player Megan Rapinoe's national anthem kneel a nod to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick

Four Dolphins kneel, Chiefs CB Peters raises fist during national anthem

Camden Football Team & Coaches Kneel During National Anthem, District Supports Expression | NBC 10 Philadelphia
    Many more athletes have followed suit.

This has sparked a huge debate and I wanted to hear everyoneís thoughts on this.

Iíll be honest, I donít have a strong opinion either way, meaning Iím not offended but I donít necessarily support it either. I guess I donít understand what exactly will change by doing this. I hope to gain some understanding by reading your responses.

2. Senior Member
    I agree with you. I don't support it. But I also don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of it. He's not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal. But I don't think he's protesting in the right way. If he wants change, that's not the way to go about getting change.
  3. Senior Member
    I err on the side of personal freedom, you don't have to stand, hell you have the right to burn the flag if you want to. We're free to protest in this country. That doesn't mean you're not going to piss a bunch of people off, but by all means go ahead. And I'll defend your right to do so.

But don't act surprised when you've angered a lot of people who associate the flag with sacrifice of soldiers and the freedom the U.S stands for. Yeah the U.S has done some pretty shitty things, but the flag is supposed to represent freedom, progress, everything we *could* be. It's an ideal. At least, that's my opinion of it. However, I'm fully aware that everyone interprets the symbol of the flag in different ways and they are free to act on their own interpretation.

4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I read a good article (can try to find it but not sure). I don't care that he did that and obviously think he has a right to, but I think it was a misguided social justice stance. Like there are more accurate, clear, effective ways to show your views on matters that are not necessarily related to the flag.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I err on the side of personal freedom, you don't have to stand, hell you have the right to burn the flag if you want to. We're free to protest in this country. That doesn't mean you're not going to piss a bunch of people off, but by all means go ahead. And I'll defend your right to do so.

But don't act surprised when you've angered a lot of people who associate the flag with sacrifice of soldiers and the freedom the U.S stands for. Yeah the U.S has done some pretty shitty things, but the flag is supposed to represent freedom, progress, everything we *could* be. It's an ideal. At least, that's my opinion of it. However, I'm fully aware that everyone interprets the symbol of the flag in different ways and they are free to act on their own interpretation.
    This is basically exactly how I feel.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't get the big deal about it in general because we all have a right to protest. People complain so much when groups protest in a way that's loud or destructive or inconvenient toward people who have nothing to do with the issue being protested. More than anything else i've heard/seen (on Facebook) "Well there's a better way to do it...". Now he's protesting in a way that's none of those things and people are mad all over again.

He probably should have kept it off the field, since that's his job and it's kinda unprofessional to bring your personal stuff to work, but if he's willing to put his job on the line for his convictions, ok.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    I don't get the big deal about it in general because we all have a right to protest. People complain so much when groups protest in a way that's loud or destructive or inconvenient toward people who have nothing to do with the issue being protested. More than anything else i've heard/seen (on Facebook) "Well there's a better way to do it...". Now he's protesting in a way that's none of those things and people are mad all over again.

He probably should have kept it off the field, since that's his job and it's kinda unprofessional to bring your personal stuff to work, but if he's willing to put his job on the line for his convictions, ok.
    This. This is completely anecdotal and just an observation I've made amongst my own peers, but it really seems like the only people who have a serious issue with his actions are the same people who reject the BLM movement as a whole. I can understand why people have an issue with BLM protests (when they get violent, blocking freeways, etc) but what is the "better way" Colin Kaepernick should have protested..? He's been entirely peaceful from what I've seen, he's put more attention on the movement that he believes in, and I'm sure he knew there would be some people offended.

Personally I'm WAY more bothered by the reaction to his choosing not to stand. I keep seeing this meme on facebook that says "bet he sits to pee too" and just like, what the fuck? And then there are people saying he looks like a terrorist etc. It's so gross and ignorant.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It doesn't bother me because I think he's being really respectful about it. I mean yeah people get pissy about the flag and I guess I get that, but it's really hard for me to see the "disrespect" in sitting or kneeling quietly while the anthem is being played. He's not being disruptive or obscene or making a scene. (Not that if he were being disrespectful it would necessarily bother me, I just don't get the vitriol about it at all).

I've been more disturbed by people's reactions to it like Heisenburg said, people calling for violence or that he should be kicked out of the country or personal attacks on his race/gender/etc. There's a really gross irony for those ideas to be expressed towards someone not being "American" enough. Also seen some memes about how some people are for-real oppressed and he's taking his freedoms for granted ... I don't get how expressing freedoms equates for taking them for granted but ok? Also someone pointed out that for-real oppressive countries are the ones most likely to actually punish people for not being "patriotic" enough like some are calling for Kaepernick and thought that was a good point.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    It doesn't bother me because I think he's being really respectful about it. I mean yeah people get pissy about the flag and I guess I get that, but it's really hard for me to see the "disrespect" in sitting or kneeling quietly while the anthem is being played. He's not being disruptive or obscene or making a scene. (Not that if he were being disrespectful it would necessarily bother me, I just don't get the vitriol about it at all).

I've been more disturbed by people's reactions to it like Heisenburg said, people calling for violence or that he should be kicked out of the country or personal attacks on his race/gender/etc. There's a really gross irony for those ideas to be expressed towards someone not being "American" enough. Also seen some memes about how some people are for-real oppressed and he's taking his freedoms for granted ... I don't get how expressing freedoms equates for taking them for granted but ok? Also someone pointed out that for-real oppressive countries are the ones most likely to actually punish people for not being "patriotic" enough like some are calling for Kaepernick and thought that was a good point.
    I feel like those people are totally missing the point though. Just because some countries have it worse doesn't mean there isn't oppression in this one. It's not a contest. A mostly good place can have some bad attributes and I don't see how anybody could possibly even argue that we have some very real issues right now that deserve attention.
  10. Senior Member
    What does kneeling do though? Is the main point to get the discussion going that things in this country need to change?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast