Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athletes Stitting/Kneeling During the National Anthem

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This. This is completely anecdotal and just an observation I've made amongst my own peers, but it really seems like the only people who have a serious issue with his actions are the same people who reject the BLM movement as a whole. I can understand why people have an issue with BLM protests (when they get violent, blocking freeways, etc) but what is the "better way" Colin Kaepernick should have protested..? He's been entirely peaceful from what I've seen, he's put more attention on the movement that he believes in, and I'm sure he knew there would be some people offended.

Personally I'm WAY more bothered by the reaction to his choosing not to stand. I keep seeing this meme on facebook that says "bet he sits to pee too" and just like, what the fuck? And then there are people saying he looks like a terrorist etc. It's so gross and ignorant.
    I'm so with you on this. I'm really annoyed by all the military wives who are like "uhhhh hell no--my husband doesn't fight so you can kneel in front of the flag" and I kinda wanna be like, "um, actually, he did/does."
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I feel like those people are totally missing the point though. Just because some countries have it worse doesn't mean there isn't oppression in this one. It's not a contest. A mostly good place can have some bad attributes and I don't see how anybody could possibly even argue that we have some very real issues right now that deserve attention.
    I never thought of it that way! Like it was taking away from the issues here. I took it more like "hey when you're trying to persecute someone for kneeling/sitting during the anthem you're acting more like countries that we don't want to emulate" than minimizing what Kaepernick and others are trying to draw attention too. But I can see how it could be read the way you're talking about too.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What does kneeling do though? Is the main point to get the discussion going that things in this country need to change?
    Basically. I'm not trying to act like I'm an expert on protests but it seems like he's doing this more as a way to show support to the movement/contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way since (being a celebrity) his voice has a much further reach than most people. Which is another reason I think it's total bullshit that so many people are bashing him, because he hasn't said anything disrespectful at all. He's addressing a problem, and the people getting mad are part of the problem. It's not like he's on camera wiping his ass with the flag, he's choosing not to stand for the national anthem. Big fucking deal. He even started kneeling instead of just sitting it out to be more respectful of veterans/the military in general. People are acting like it's a slap in the face to vets and it has nothing to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I'm so with you on this. I'm really annoyed by all the military wives who are like "uhhhh hell no--my husband doesn't fight so you can kneel in front of the flag" and I kinda wanna be like, "um, actually, he did/does."
    Ughhhhhhh People are so dense. I also think the patriotic attitude in this country is way over the top and kind of creepy a lot of the time. I get that the flag represents ideals butttt it's still just a piece of fabric, idk why we have to idolize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I never thought of it that way! Like it was taking away from the issues here. I took it more like "hey when you're trying to persecute someone for kneeling/sitting during the anthem you're acting more like countries that we don't want to emulate" than minimizing what Kaepernick and others are trying to draw attention too. But I can see how it could be read the way you're talking about too.
    Lmao I probably just completely misinterpreted your comment.
  4. Senior Member
    It doesn't offend me, but I also think people (and employers) have a right to react to it. There's no amendment that protects him from repercussions of his "free speech". He's an entertainer, and frankly not a great one (barring one good season). And if there were a ven diagram of football fans and people who care a lot about this kind of patriotism stuff, there'd be a lot of overlap. So he's alienated to lot of his potential audience, making him a much less valuable entertainer.

This is extra stupid, because he wanted to be traded. yes, he made the 49ers less likely to want to keep him, but he also made every other team less likely to want him, because he's worth less now that he's pissed off a lot of their customers. Maybe he knew all this and decided it was worth it to him in order to support his cause. I have my doubts, but I suppose it's possible. Regardless, just has he has a right to make his statement, his fans and employers have a right to make theirs, and they have a right to limit how he's able to make his statement while he's on the clock.

Also, when he wore socks with pigs dressed as cops, he pretty much lost any change at the high road. That is what made him an asshole in my mind. Certainly there are legitimate issues with our system of policing, and with some specific incidents, and with race relations in general. But falling back on a stereotype and insulting an entire group in a childish, mean-spirited way only adds to divisiveness. I didn't care about the kneeling, but the socks put me firmly in the "dislike him" camp and I hope he doesn't end up at any team I support. Frankly, I think he's a dirtbag now, and I think that furthering stereotypes and insults about cops is really not much different than furthering stereotypes about races. He's shown himself to a bigot in his own way. And it's gestures like that that cause people to reject BLM, or to counter with "Blue lives matter" or whatever, because it makes it seems like one can't care about both, or that BLM is anti-cop, when really, they are anti-racist, dangerous cop.

So yeah, I think he's an ignorant, hateful piece of shit, but not because he didn't stand during the anthem or because he spoke out in support of BLM and tried to use his position to bring more attention to the very real issue we have.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Vill for the win

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I get why people are offended, I get why people are angry, I am not either of those things. I live my life in a very live and let live manner so it doesn't bother me if he chooses not to stand for the National Anthem. I will say that I think it was a poor way to protest and it was unwise to do so while he was publicly representing someone else's franchise because he's putting his livelihood and the remainder of his career on the line to do so.

7. Senior Member
    also I think it's really gross that some people are threatening to hurt others for not standing. Another football player, idk his name, I don't really care, posted on twitter that you better have a broken leg if you didn't stand or he was gonna give you one. like, wtf? this isn't north korea. if I don't want to stand I don't have to.

8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    also I think it's really gross that some people are threatening to hurt others for not standing. Another football player, idk his name, I don't really care, posted on twitter that you better have a broken leg if you didn't stand or he was gonna give you one. like, wtf? this isn't north korea. if I don't want to stand I don't have to.
    I just don't understand why people get so up in arms about what others decide to do...if it's not directly affecting me I don't really care all that much

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I just don't understand why people get so up in arms about what others decide to do...if it's not directly affecting me I don't really care all that much
    truth. I'm a libertarian so I reeeeeally don't care what adults do as long as it doesn't affect me. DH was horrified the other day cause I said I don't care if people do drugs. he was like "what about meth?! you don't care if people do meth??" and I said as long as theyre not bothering me wtf do I care if they ruin their bodies with drugs? maybe that makes me cold hearted, but I seriously don't care what people do in their free time unless they're affecting me or another person. kneeling for the flag? idgaf

10. Senior Member
    It doesn't bother me and I'm certainly not offended. I stand because I believe in what our country stands for and I feel very blessed to have been born here. That doesn't mean I think we are perfect and we don't have a long way to go in a lot of social areas. You can't expect that everyone will feel the same way as you, and he has the right to sit peacefully or kneel. If I was team management or the NFL I would slap a huge disclaimer on this behavior though and say is doesn't reflect the opinion of or represent the organization he works for.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast