Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog awarded military Purple Heart

1. Moderator

Advertisements
    She also got a Combat Infantryman Badge from a retired soldier... it's just symbolic gestures from people who are proud of her and grateful for her work and protection. It's not like Obama came and presented her a medal instead of giving one to a human who was wounded in action.
  2. Senior Member
    From what I understand, she was given the Purple Heart medal from a retired service member who has previously earned it. She wasn't formally awarded the Purple Heart from the president or anything. If the person who earned it chooses to pass it along to the dog, then he should be allowed to do that. It's his medal to do with whatever he chooses.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    From what I understand, she was given the Purple Heart medal from a retired service member who has previously earned it. She wasn't formally awarded the Purple Heart from the president or anything. If the person who earned it chooses to pass it along to the dog, then he should be allowed to do that. It's his medal to do with whatever he chooses.
    Ah, that makes sense to me! I'm totally cool with that.

I do have to say, I don't agree with anyone who is not a military member formally receiving military awards. Human, dog, cat, whatever.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    I was wondering if it was something like that! Like that guy who gave his Purple Heart to Trump or whatever.

To me that's totally different than the military awarding her a Purple Heart ... that to me has 0 to do with other people not getting them when they should. It's a completely different process if someone who already won it wants to give it to someone else.
  5. Senior Member
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/k9-office...023638582.html

Here's a video of a definite informal passing down the Purple Heart from someone who has received it formally, to the dog. I think the original article is a bit misleading and makes it sound like she was officially awarded it. That sounded odd to me since I can't imagine there aren't very strict guide lines.
  6. Moderator

Knowing that it was informally given, I think it's fine. Someone gave Trump their Purple Heart. Someone gave John Cena their NAM. This is along the same lines.

It has nothing to do with anyone else who has not been recognized for their efforts/sacrifices in war.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Knowing that it was informally given, I think it's fine. Someone gave Trump their Purple Heart. Someone gave John Cena their NAM. This is along the same lines.

It has nothing to do with anyone else who has not been recognized for their efforts/sacrifices in war.
    I'm less bothered by the dog getting it than trump getting it. At least the dog has helped people.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I'm less bothered by the dog getting it than trump getting it. At least the dog has helped people.
    YES.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Same here.
  10. Senior Member
    I'd rather a dog get it than Trump
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast