Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The phrase "My People"

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    I use the phrase "My People" when referring to my Indian tribe. More specific in my bloodline. My mom was 100% Lumbee and the first in her blood line to marry outside the tribe. So my family is all Lumbee on her side. They use the term "My People" to refer to the tribe. We spent our summers there. We took her back "home" to be buried after she died. I know most of them very closely. I actually met a girl on facebook who was Lumbee. My mom said to ask her who her people were. She knew what it meant instantly when I said it. And we wound up being related from way up the tree so to speak. I had a friend tell me that it was disrespectful for me to refer to my tribe as my people if we dont live on their land and are 100%. We dont have a Dawes number because she wouldnt add us. So where is the line drawn at in your personal opinion?
    I honestly could not find it in my mind to even have 1% of interest to have a line to draw on this. If your people are not offended that you say that without being 100% or living there than who the eff cares what someone who is not Lumbee thinks. That is my opinion. Too many people think their opinion on things that matter not even remotely to the average person is super important and needs to be considered. No.
  2. Senior Member
    I see nothing wrong with it, especially because the group to which you are referring seems to be just fine with it.

I also see nothing wrong with using "my people" to refer to a social group, to the people who share a hobby or interest, or anything else. I think "my people" means, more or less, the people with whom one identifies. So to a dedicated marathoner, runners might be "her people". What's wrong with that?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I honestly could not find it in my mind to even have 1% of interest to have a line to draw on this. If your people are not offended that you say that without being 100% or living there than who the eff cares what someone who is not Lumbee thinks. That is my opinion. Too many people think their opinion on things that matter not even remotely to the average person is super important and needs to be considered. No.
    Evan if they are lumbee, screw them
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I see nothing wrong with it, especially because the group to which you are referring seems to be just fine with it.

I also see nothing wrong with using "my people" to refer to a social group, to the people who share a hobby or interest, or anything else. I think "my people" means, more or less, the people with whom one identifies. So to a dedicated marathoner, runners might be "her people". What's wrong with that?

Df always refers to my friend and family (to include aunts, uncles, cousins) as "your people". It's not insulting, I see it as you have a close connection with them.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Except there is no reason to limit "my people" to natives, or any other cultural group. None of them invented the p hrase, nor c I inedible it nor have an exclusive on it.
    The people who come into your group are using the phrase absolutely correctly.

"My people" are any group for which I identify myself with. The commonamity among them is what makes them a group, a culture, and, some would say, an extendedfamily.
    People need to stop being so artificially sensitive over multiple uses of phrases or words.

the people who are telling OP that she is not "their people" are actually being racist and exclusive.
    I agree with you. My post was fairly out of context as to why this facebook group annoys me with it. It's a group of 20K+ people, and they see a few swear words (which are censored in most groups on the same topic) and decide that it's "their people", just seems to be jumping the gun a bit to me and really isn't related to the racist/not racist aspect of the terms use. I've been in a bit of brain fog lately. I agree with your points here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12