Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Beverage Tax

1. Wine-o
    Wine-o

Beverage Tax

Advertisements
    http://6abc.com/news/philadelphia-ci...-tax-/1388228/

Philadelphia is the first big city in America to implement a beverage tax on sodas and other sweet beverages. There has been heavy opposition to this bill with many tv ads, protests, etc. The tax is 1.5 cents per ounce and the public perception here in Philly is that cost will be passed directly onto the consumer (although there are no actual facts for how each company will deal with this tax individually).

I don't really have a strong opinion on this either way because that tax isn't going to prevent me from buying a soda. The main grocery store I shop at is actually outside the borders of Philadelphia and therefore not subject to the tax.

What are your thoughts?
    ~Becca~

2. Senior Member
    lmao a black market for non-alcoholic beverages.

I don't think the tax is going to prevent most people from buying a drink, or do anything for the case of consuming garbage in moderation. Especially when avoiding it is as easy as shopping at a store slightly outside the city borders.
  3. Senior Member
    I don't think it's gunna stop people from buying soda, but I imagine it'll bring in more money for Philadelphia?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I don't think it's gunna stop people from buying soda, but I imagine it'll bring in more money for Philadelphia?
    I hope all of the city counsel gets voted out of office at the next election. Taxes like this should be voted on by the people, not just counselmembers.
    If they are really concerned, why not tax anything with sugar. And diet drinks are excluded. Even though diet drinks can be as unhealthy as sugar drinks.
    Milk is not taxed, so chocolate milk wont be taxed, even though its full of sugar.

what about coffee drinks from starbucks. Lots of sugar in many of those drinks, but no tax.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I hope all of the city counsel gets voted out of office at the next election. Taxes like this should be voted on by the people, not just counselmembers.
    If they are really concerned, why not tax anything with sugar. And diet drinks are excluded. Even though diet drinks can be as unhealthy as sugar drinks.
    Milk is not taxed, so chocolate milk wont be taxed, even though its full of sugar.

what about coffee drinks from starbucks. Lots of sugar in many of those drinks, but no tax.
    this.

stupid arbitrary taxed voted on by a small select number of people in charge. If I were feeling rebellious (and was from Philly) I'd find a harbor to dump some soda in

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    this.

stupid arbitrary taxed voted on by a small select number of people in charge. If I were feeling rebellious (and was from Philly) I'd find a harbor to dump some soda in
    LOL
  7. Senior Member
    this.

You wouldn't even notice the difference in the Delaware River... Like others have said plenty of other drinks have lots of natural sugar, like orange juice. I don't know that this will change where people shop but small businesses think that they will take a hit. Personally, I don't drink enough soda to care either way. I just hope the revenue actually goes to pre-k and schools rather than padding a general budget.
  8. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

this.

This made my morning, B! Thanks!

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    this.

10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    You wouldn't even notice the difference in the Delaware River... Like others have said plenty of other drinks have lots of natural sugar, like orange juice. I don't know that this will change where people shop but small businesses think that they will take a hit. Personally, I don't drink enough soda to care either way. I just hope the revenue actually goes to pre-k and schools rather than padding a general budget.
    That's the thing though, it's NOT just going to Pre-K. Mayor K had been saying all along that this would fund Pre-K but then just days ago he was like j/k some of it is going to the general budget. That part I definitely understand people getting pissed about because he was lying to the public from the start of it.
    ~Becca~