Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle social media with your SO?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    DH and I were friends on Facebook before we started dating. We made our relationship "Facebook official" the day after we officially became exclusive boyfriend/girlfriend.

Our engagement however we waited almost a week before we posted because we wanted to tell certain people in person.

We know each other's passwords for everything. Mainly because we each basically have 1 password for everything. We also know each other's phone passcodes so we pretty much have full access to everything. The only time I've used his password for anything was Amazon. I wanted to see what was in his shopping cart and/or what he had been looking at so I could get gift ideas. What did I find? Everything from my private wish list where he had done the same thing

We interact on Facebook pretty often. (I think it's just the right amount. We're not overly mushy or anything but especially things I post that are baby/pregnancy related I will tag him so his friends and family I'm not friends with can see it too.

2. Senior Member
    I became friends on fb with df the night i met him, we exchanged numbers and fb's.

I didn't add any pics of him until Sept. (We started dating in May), but I posted a heart on his wall in the beginning of June (this was all 2012) and that stirred up his sisters and family . I removed single and just didnt have anything until we got engaged. It just says engaged now, not to who. He doesn't have a relationship status. Were both not over the top with tags and posts.

Eta: we have our own fb's and don't know eachothers passwords.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Aww I love when you post about your husband
    Aww thanks! He's so great. And he puts up with my cheesiness, even though he is extra socially awkward

Oh, and I didn't answer about the password stuff. We have each other's, in case it was needed. I can't think of when I would though. And we def do not share an account. I have no desire to be friends with all his Marine buddies.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

DH doesn't do social media. My FB account is technically joint in that once he told me to Google people from his past and friend/message them. 99% of people know I am the only person actually updating or commenting but if anyone wants to get a message to him, I relay it. That's how it works for us. I know it is semi controversial. He does know the password if he tried really hard to think about it but it is not something he uses at all. I know it is weird but it works for us since he doesn't give a fuck about ever browsing a social media site.
  5. Moderator

DH doesn't do social media. When he used FB I knew his password, but not for any particular reason. I occasionally posted links to his wall of funny things I came across while he was at work so I wouldn't forget to show him, but that was about it. He stopped using it because a family member of his was too irritating for him to remain civil, so he decided it was better to preserve his relationships with people by not seeing how they behave on social media. People who want to keep up with his goings on just add me instead.
  6. Senior Member
    I met DH when Myspace was on the decline, and he convinced me I should get an account. We were in HS and we posted a bunch of mushy crap I’m kinda embarrassed about. . At some point during our LDR we both got FB. I wasn’t super into it so I hardly posted. Now I’m into it again and DH hardly ever posts at all. I will post the occasional picture of us but I usually don’t tag him because he probably won’t see it. I do know his passwords but I don’t check up on him.

7. Regular Member
    FB and I have an on-again-off-again relationship. DH and I are FB friends now, but our accounts don't say we're married. I don't change ANYTHING on the About Me section, and I've had an account since 2006. Hahaha. That's ridiculous - reading what I just wrote. But whatev. I'm not worried about it. Facebook isn't a big part of our lives. The husband has a fb account but he only logs in twice a year. That's it.
    For a while he and weren't friends on Facebook. That was after I got FURIOUS with his family. I ended up unfriending all of them, including him. I didn't bother re-friending him for a couple of years. So, it's hard to follow-up a statement about unfriending my husband's entire family (cue background music and teeny tiny violin) with the statement "I'm not into drama". Understood. But I'm not. (OF COURSE I'm not! Who is?! Not me dude. Somebody else. Anybody else.)That being said, I'm not about facebook drama or watching it unfold. Hahaha. Great lead-in. Crazy convincing.
    What I am is into safety and making informed choices. I could not handle the social media practices of the in-laws. After my MIL's co-worker's child went missing and despite the nature and the aspect of social media that was part of the investigation (and subsequent discovery of the 14 year old, alive, 9 months later), all of them thought it was ridiculous that I advocate for responsible social media use. LITERALLY. That's my soapbox. Not micro-managing. Not telling people what should or should not be posted on social media. Just responsible social media use. It's pretty freaking broad. Regardless, I just deleted them all. Including the DH. I didn't come up with that silly idea of understanding that social media can come with risks. You would think I did though. The husband was just swept up in the mass un-friending I did. He's of the same mind about the responsible social media use.
    The spouse could easily figure out my fb password, but he's got bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't bother trying to figure out his. I would just ask him. But I'm not interested in his fb account.
    I do think it's sweet to see husbands and wives being nice to each other on fb. Sometimes for a hot second I think, "Oh, I want to do that" but then I don't know...I pretty much immediately forget.
    It is absolutely my preference to not have my last name, my kids lasts names and who I'm married to on Facebook. No reason in particular. I do very little Facebook account maintenance and resent the idea of having to do any. So I just don't really use it that much. If my husband had a sudden desire to see my account or logon as me, I'd be a-okay with that. Although I would worry about his overall well-being because it would WILDLY out of character. Haha.
    Actually, come to think of it - I do read him fb messages that go back and forth especially when it comes to the guys I was in with. A lot of us have experienced some rough times over the years, and more then once my husband and I have kinda tag-team responded to the person on the phone and over Facebook. So that's how we do facebook together.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dell82 View Post
    FB and I have an on-again-off-again relationship. DH and I are FB friends now, but our accounts don't say we're married. I don't change ANYTHING on the About Me section, and I've had an account since 2006. Hahaha. That's ridiculous - reading what I just wrote. But whatev. I'm not worried about it. Facebook isn't a big part of our lives. The husband has a fb account but he only logs in twice a year. That's it.
    For a while he and weren't friends on Facebook. That was after I got FURIOUS with his family. I ended up unfriending all of them, including him. I didn't bother re-friending him for a couple of years. So, it's hard to follow-up a statement about unfriending my husband's entire family (cue background music and teeny tiny violin) with the statement "I'm not into drama". Understood. But I'm not. (OF COURSE I'm not! Who is?! Not me dude. Somebody else. Anybody else.)That being said, I'm not about facebook drama or watching it unfold. Hahaha. Great lead-in. Crazy convincing.
    What I am is into safety and making informed choices. I could not handle the social media practices of the in-laws. After my MIL's co-worker's child went missing and despite the nature and the aspect of social media that was part of the investigation (and subsequent discovery of the 14 year old, alive, 9 months later), all of them thought it was ridiculous that I advocate for responsible social media use. LITERALLY. That's my soapbox. Not micro-managing. Not telling people what should or should not be posted on social media. Just responsible social media use. It's pretty freaking broad. Regardless, I just deleted them all. Including the DH. I didn't come up with that silly idea of understanding that social media can come with risks. You would think I did though. The husband was just swept up in the mass un-friending I did. He's of the same mind about the responsible social media use.
    The spouse could easily figure out my fb password, but he's got bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't bother trying to figure out his. I would just ask him. But I'm not interested in his fb account.
    I do think it's sweet to see husbands and wives being nice to each other on fb. Sometimes for a hot second I think, "Oh, I want to do that" but then I don't know...I pretty much immediately forget.
    It is absolutely my preference to not have my last name, my kids lasts names and who I'm married to on Facebook. No reason in particular. I do very little Facebook account maintenance and resent the idea of having to do any. So I just don't really use it that much. If my husband had a sudden desire to see my account or logon as me, I'd be a-okay with that. Although I would worry about his overall well-being because it would WILDLY out of character. Haha.
    Actually, come to think of it - I do read him fb messages that go back and forth especially when it comes to the guys I was in with. A lot of us have experienced some rough times over the years, and more then once my husband and I have kinda tag-team responded to the person on the phone and over Facebook. So that's how we do facebook together.
    I didn't ask for all this
  9. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

I had a FB wayyyyyyyy before DH. He decided to get one when he was in Iraq so we could talk a little easier. We were engaged by the time he got a FB. I was at the movies with my friend and got a request from him, lol. Anyway, we're friends on FB, Ash, so you know that I post a lot of lovey dovey shit about my husband, he's awesome and I like to post about him. We tag each other in stuff all the time. He usually tags me in dumb shit, but whatever. I know his password because he tells me because he can't remember shit, so when he asks, I'm like, "oh wait, I know!" He doesn't know my password, but he could probably guess it. I don't think social media creates problems; people create the problems and then blame them on social media. If someone's going to be shady, I think they will be whether that have it or not.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divergent♥ View Post
    I had a FB wayyyyyyyy before DH. He decided to get one when he was in Iraq so we could talk a little easier. We were engaged by the time he got a FB. I was at the movies with my friend and got a request from him, lol. Anyway, we're friends on FB, Ash, so you know that I post a lot of lovey dovey shit about my husband, he's awesome and I like to post about him. We tag each other in stuff all the time. He usually tags me in dumb shit, but whatever. I know his password because he tells me because he can't remember shit, so when he asks, I'm like, "oh wait, I know!" He doesn't know my password, but he could probably guess it. I don't think social media creates problems; people create the problems and then blame them on social media. If someone's going to be shady, I think they will be whether that have it or not.
    I also love when you post about your husband idk I love seeing couples who are genuinely happy together. The only time the mushy stuff gets on my nerves is when I KNOW it's insincere, like my best friend for example posts the same sappy garbage about every douche she dates but she'll tell me about all the (serious) problems they're having at the same time. That's mildly annoying to me because I'm like who are you trying to fool lol
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast