Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Affluenza" teen sentenced today

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

"Affluenza" teen sentenced today

Advertisements
    'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch Set to Stay in Jail for Nearly 2 Years - ABC News

I think this is complete bullshit but I'm not surprised. He's got money and he's white.

From Facebook:
    Kill four people. Claim to suffer from affluenza. Court agrees. Sentenced to recover from condition in a country club atmosphere. Break terms of probation. Flee the country as a fugitive. Be taken into custody after binging on alcohol and prostitutes. Extradited back to America. Sentenced to two years in prison. Out by 21.
    *Justice in America, 2016.
    *Does not apply to black or brown youth.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    First, we have to get all our facts straight.
    1) He was charged and sentenced as a juvenile, in juvenile court. The big difference between the purpose of Juvi and Adult court is Juvi is designed for rehabilitation, Adult is designed to punish.
    2) He was transferred to Adult court because of his probation violation and his age now.
    3) He was not sentenced to 2 years. He had 2 years of his suspended sentence reinstated.
    4) After the two years (More likely anywhere from 12 months to 18 months), he is on probation until 2024.
    5) Each time he violated probation, the judge can continue to unsuspend time and throw him in jail or prison.
    6) he could potentially do up to 20 years (possibly up to 80).
    7) All else being equal, 2 years is not an unusual sentence for this case. its on the low side, but not that much. I have seen from almost no jail time for a kid to up to 5 years. where there were no prior offenses.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    First, we have to get all our facts straight.
    1) He was charged and sentenced as a juvenile, in juvenile court. The big difference between the purpose of Juvi and Adult court is Juvi is designed for rehabilitation, Adult is designed to punish.
    2) He was transferred to Adult court because of his probation violation and his age now.
    3) He was not sentenced to 2 years. He had 2 years of his suspended sentence reinstated.
    4) After the two years (More likely anywhere from 12 months to 18 months), he is on probation until 2024.
    5) Each time he violated probation, the judge can continue to unsuspend time and throw him in jail or prison.
    6) he could potentially do up to 20 years (possibly up to 80).
    7) All else being equal, 2 years is not an unusual sentence for this case. its on the low side, but not that much. I have seen from almost no jail time for a kid to up to 5 years. where there were no prior offenses.
    all this

Also- he never "claimed to suffer from affluenza" he was coined the "Affluenza teen" by a judge during the case. I'm not sticking up for the kid because he's a dirt bag but this isn't an equal rights thing.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by Shoshana8; 09-20-2017 at 02:24 AM.
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    all this

Also- he never "claimed to suffer from affluenza" he was coined the "Affluenza teen" by a judge during the case. I'm not sticking up for the kid because he's a dirt bag but this isn't an equal rights thing.
    I agree with Asher, but he did (via a hired gun "expert") claim to suffer from affluenza. The Judge did not coin the term. Ethan's psychologist testified that "affluenza" (pysch's term) was why he could not understand right from wrong.
  6. Senior Member
    This has nothing to do with race, so let's not make it about that
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    I agree with Asher, but he did (via a hired gun "expert") claim to suffer from affluenza. The Judge did not coin the term. Ethan's psychologist testified that "affluenza" (pysch's term) was why he could not understand right from wrong.
    My bad it was an attorney, either way I'm 100% guaranteeing you that this dumb ass spoiled kid didn't look at his attorney and say, "I have affluenza" it was his attorney's defense strategy but the kid didn't claim it for himself and to say he did like it was stated in the OP is not correct.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    he did not. His parents did. And at that age, or most any age, no defendant is saying to his attorney "You know, I don't feel right making that argument, because it might get me a lighter sentence than I really deserve."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. we were all rooting for you
    Thanks for the facts about the case. I really actually appreciate you explaining the difference between adult/juvenile tbh. I Should have clarified in my OP that I was aware of some of those points, my bad. I failed with getting my point across in my OP I just really did agree with that quote even though it didn't really specify many details. Regardless of age, I still think it's sad that this piece of shit is only being sentenced to this for killing four people.
    Last edited by KittenMittens; 04-13-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Cause I suck at thinking today
  10. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    My bad it was an attorney, either way I'm 100% guaranteeing you that this dumb ass spoiled kid didn't look at his attorney and say, "I have affluenza" it was his attorney's defense strategy but the kid didn't claim it for himself and to say he did like it was stated in the OP is not correct.
    I knew it was his lawyers and not him. Again, should have clarified.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast