Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Affluenza" teen sentenced today

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    it's just sad that we live in a society where an "affluneza teen" can be a real thing. We actually produce human beings with 0 sense of responsibility or empathy, that is scary.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch Set to Stay in Jail for Nearly 2 Years - ABC News

I think this is complete bullshit but I'm not surprised. He's got money and he's white.

From Facebook:
    Nonsense....I have seen/heard of/read of wealthy black and brown skined (to paraphrase you) people get away with crimes to include murder.

eta....my comment is in regards to your quote from FB which didn't copy into this post.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Nonsense....I have seen/heard of/read of wealthy black and brown skined (to paraphrase you) people get away with crimes to include murder.

eta....my comment is in regards to your quote from FB which didn't copy into this post.
    Like OJ?

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    it's just sad that we live in a society where an "affluneza teen" can be a real thing. We actually produce human beings with 0 sense of responsibility or empathy, that is scary.
    But that has nothing to do with "Affluenza."
    It has to do with parenting. And people with no sense of responsibility,empathy, morality, etc come in all economic levels.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    First, we have to get all our facts straight.
    1) He was charged and sentenced as a juvenile, in juvenile court. The big difference between the purpose of Juvi and Adult court is Juvi is designed for rehabilitation, Adult is designed to punish.
    2) He was transferred to Adult court because of his probation violation and his age now.
    3) He was not sentenced to 2 years. He had 2 years of his suspended sentence reinstated.
    4) After the two years (More likely anywhere from 12 months to 18 months), he is on probation until 2024.
    5) Each time he violated probation, the judge can continue to unsuspend time and throw him in jail or prison.
    6) he could potentially do up to 20 years (possibly up to 80).
    7) All else being equal, 2 years is not an unusual sentence for this case. its on the low side, but not that much. I have seen from almost no jail time for a kid to up to 5 years. where there were no prior offenses.
    It was my understanding--and I could be way wrong since IANAL-- that he didn't have a suspended sentence, and that's part of the problem. He wasn't given 40 years, (or whatever) suspended. His entire original sentence was 10 years probation and thus there's no sentence to reinstate, and thus they can only charge him for additional crimes (like parole violations), and can do nothing about the original deaths.

Is that not correct?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You generally can not put a person on probation unless there is suspended time. Most probation violations are not crimes themselves.
    Because it was in juvenile court though, the rules are very different. Looking now. I looked earlier, but couldnt find much
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Here ya go: (I'm still a little confused)

Determinate Sentencing
    In most cases, the juvenile justice system can only exercise control over an adjudicated offender
    for a limited time. For example, if a child is placed on probation, the probation must end on or
    before the offender’s 18th birthday. Similarly, if a juvenile is committed to TJJD, that sentence
    must be completed on or before the offender’s 19th birthday.
    Determinate sentencing, however, may result in a juvenile offender serving time beyond his or
    her 19th birthday, depending on the charged offense. (54.04(d)(3), F.C.) For example, a capital
    felony, a first degree felony or an aggravated controlled substance felony may result in a term of
    not more than 40 years. A second degree felony may result in a maximum term of 20 years,
    while a third degree felony carries up to 10 years.
    If the prosecuting attorney wants to file
    a determinate sentencing petition, the
    juvenile court must be informed at the
    time the charges are filed. The
    prosecutor must also seek grand jury
    approval of the petition. (53.045(b),
    F.C.) The approved petition for determinate sentencing is the equivalent of a grand jury
    indictment in adult criminal court. If the grand jury approves the petition, it certifies the fact of
    its approval to the juvenile court. (53.045(d), F.C.)
    Since 1999, a judge or jury may assess probation as an alternative to TJJD, if the sentence does
    not exceed ten years. (54.04(q), F.C.) If the probation term extends beyond the offender’s 19th
    birthday, the juvenile court must discharge the probation or transfer supervision to the
    Community Supervision and Corrections Department (CSCD) of the appropriate adult criminal
    court. (54.051, F.C.) If, after a hearing, the juvenile court decides to transfer the child, the court
    must transfer the child to an appropriate district court on the child’s 19th birthday. (54.051(d),
    F.C.) A new provision makes it clear that when a juvenile court transfers probation to an adult
    criminal court, certain restrictions and minimum probation terms of adult law do not apply to the
    transferred offender. If the criminal court judge revokes the offender’s community supervision,
    the judge may reduce the prison sentence to any length without regard to the minimum term
    imposed on adult defendants. (54.051(e-1) and (e-2), F.C.)
    After serving a minimum length of stay at TJJD, the offender may be retained in the juvenile
    system or transferred to an adult prison facility to complete the sentence. The goal is to give
    serious juvenile offenders an opportunity to be rehabilitated within the juvenile justice system.
    However, if all efforts at rehabilitation
    fail, the public will be protected by
    requiring the offender to complete his or
    her sentence in the adult prison or parole
    system.
    The Family Code currently contains a
    list of criminal offenses, including
    habitual felony conduct, for which a
    juvenile may receive a determinate
    Juvenile Justice Handbook 24 Office of the Attorney General
    sentence. (53.045(a), F.C.)
    The offenses include:
    • Murder (19.02, P.C.);
    • Capital Murder (19.03, P.C.);
    • Manslaughter (19.04, P.C.);
    • Aggravated Kidnapping (20.04, P.C.);
    • Sexual Assault (22.011, P.C.) or Aggravated Sexual Assault (22.021, P.C.);
    • Aggravated Assault (22.02, P.C.);
    • Aggravated Robbery (29.03, P.C.);
    • Injury to a Child, Elderly or Disabled Individual (22.04, P.C.) (if the offense is
    punishable as a felony, other than a state jail felony);
    • Felony Deadly Conduct (22.05(b), P.C.) (by discharging a firearm);
    • First Degree or Aggravated Controlled Substances Felony (Ch. 481, Health and Safety
    Code);
    • Criminal Solicitation (15.03, P.C.);
    • Indecency with a Child (21.11(a)(1), P.C.);
    • Criminal Solicitation of a Minor (15.031, P.C.);
    • Criminal Attempt (15.01, P.C.) (if the offense attempted was murder, capital murder or
    an offense listed under 3g(a)(1), Art. 42.12, C.C.P.);
    • Arson (28.02, P.C.) (if bodily injury or death occurs); or
    • Intoxication Manslaughter (49.08, P.C.).
    In 2001, the offenses of manslaughter and intoxication manslaughter, both second degree
    felonies, were added to the list of covered offenses.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    My bad it was an attorney, either way I'm 100% guaranteeing you that this dumb ass spoiled kid didn't look at his attorney and say, "I have affluenza" it was his attorney's defense strategy but the kid didn't claim it for himself and to say he did like it was stated in the OP is not correct.
    I'm not sure if it matters if he personally said it or if his attorney said it for him. That was still his defense, he still claimed it even if he (his parents) paid someone else to say it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    Probably any society could produce people like this. :/ Some people are just shitty. It would be sad if society let them off the hook, which it sometimes does but apparently not so much in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    But that has nothing to do with "Affluenza."
    It has to do with parenting. And people with no sense of responsibility,empathy, morality, etc come in all economic levels.
    Well, I am fairly certain it's been shown that poorer people display more empathy (or maybe it was compassion) than those who are richer and I wouldn't lay this all at the parents door step and say society has nothing to do with it. Technically lack of empathy is a personality disorder so it's most likely a result of a predisposition + environmental factors (like parents, etc.)
  9. Senior Member
    No mention of him being high on drugs and being behind the wheel when this happened?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12