Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Carolina passes discriminatory anti-LGBTQ bill

1. Vex
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    Blog Entries

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I mean, I'm pretty skeptical about laws protecting some nebulous idea of "gender identity," but this definitely is going way too far in the opposite direction. How is it anti-veteran, though?
    North Carolina Governor Signs Bill Banning Cities From Protecting LGBT People (UPDATE)

"The bill would also end anti-discrimination protections for veterans. At least two North Carolina jurisdictions — Greensboro and Orange County — have anti-discrimination ordinances in place banning bias based on military or veteran status. Under the new measure, cities and counties would be prohibited from passing protections for veterans or service members.

Stephen Peters, the Human Rights Campaign’s national press secretary and a Marine Corps veteran, criticized this consequence of the bill.

'Thousands of LGBT veterans have fought to secure our freedom, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the North Carolina legislature’s willingness to wipe protections for local veterans off the books,' he said in a statement. 'Gov. McCrory must take a stand for fairness and equality for all and veto any bill that would increase the risk of discrimination.'

During debate, state Rep. Grier Martin (D) introduced an amendment that would add protections for veteran status, sexual orientation and gender identity to the bill. Rep. Paul Stam (R), a veteran, argued he doesn’t think it’s necessary to protect veterans from discrimination — despite reports to the contrary. The assembly voted to table the amendment."
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex View Post
    North Carolina Governor Signs Bill Banning Cities From Protecting LGBT People (UPDATE)

"The bill would also end anti-discrimination protections for veterans. At least two North Carolina jurisdictions — Greensboro and Orange County — have anti-discrimination ordinances in place banning bias based on military or veteran status. Under the new measure, cities and counties would be prohibited from passing protections for veterans or service members.

Stephen Peters, the Human Rights Campaign’s national press secretary and a Marine Corps veteran, criticized this consequence of the bill.

'Thousands of LGBT veterans have fought to secure our freedom, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the North Carolina legislature’s willingness to wipe protections for local veterans off the books,' he said in a statement. 'Gov. McCrory must take a stand for fairness and equality for all and veto any bill that would increase the risk of discrimination.'

During debate, state Rep. Grier Martin (D) introduced an amendment that would add protections for veteran status, sexual orientation and gender identity to the bill. Rep. Paul Stam (R), a veteran, argued he doesn’t think it’s necessary to protect veterans from discrimination — despite reports to the contrary. The assembly voted to table the amendment."
    Yikes. This bill doesn't seem to be good for anybody. Poorly thought out, for sure.
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Yikes. This bill doesn't seem to be good for anybody. Poorly thought out, for sure.
    That's the thing, though. It *was* thought out. It was created, written, and signed into law within 24 hours. This was done on purpose.... they've seen the reaction from the film industry in Georgia after a similar bill was suggested. The backlash from HB-2 is going to be awful. I hope there's something we can do.
  4. Senior Member
    Sure it does. It's great for bigoted assholes. They are thrilled!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    That's the thing, though. It *was* thought out. It was created, written, and signed into law within 24 hours. This was done on purpose.... they've seen the reaction from the film industry in Georgia after a similar bill was suggested. The backlash from HB-2 is going to be awful. I hope there's something we can do.
    The within 24 hours parts makes me think that, yeah, it was deliberately done but not exactly well thought out. Especially if they're alienating groups like veterans and such. If they wanted to keep males out of women's bathrooms or whatever they supposedly were after, they could've done so without alienating quite so much of the population.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12