Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender and Biological sex are different

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Gender and Biological sex are different

Advertisements
    Why do people always talk about "gender reveals" or "guess the gender" or "insert whatever gender". Gender is not defined by anatomy and cannot be determined by an ultrasound or tests or anything, it is up to that individual. The anatomy scan that happens around 18-22 weeks is to check the growth of the fetus and look for markers for issues. Finding out the sex of your baby is a perk, and it's the sex that you are finding out, not their gender.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    AGREED. Gender =/= sex.

I really like this diagram someone showed in one of my classes last semester.

3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    While yes that is true, most people say Gender Reveal because it sounds a lot more appealing than Sex Reveal or Anatomy Scan Reveal.

I don't think anyone is trying to pigeon hole their future child into one gender identity or another.

4. Senior Member
    I think people use "gender" when they mean "sex" like how people say "literally" when they mean figuratively/seriously/really. After so many people misuse a term it begins to take on a whole new meaning.

TBH, it wasn't until my college psych class that I learned the difference. But yes, there's definitely a difference

5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I love that diagram!!

I think people using that phrasing just because there's still sort of an assumption in society of the status quo - Like, my kid is gonna be definitely male or female (despite the fact that intersex is surprisingly common), definitely straight (despite all we know about gay/bi people) and definitely the gender they were born with (despite transgender/genderqueer being a possibility).

I do find the phrasing to be a bit odd though. Do OB docs call it gender too? At my work we're having some serious issues with a research project for LGBTQ people right now because none of that info about orientation or anything is coded in the medical records. I think we do actually record "sex" as "gender" too, now that I think about it....
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    While yes that is true, most people say Gender Reveal because it sounds a lot more appealing than Sex Reveal or Anatomy Scan Reveal.

I don't think anyone is trying to pigeon hole their future child into one gender identity or another.
    This. It's just the colloquial use of the word.

I Eelizah
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post

8. Senior Member
    Because the two are synonyms and have been used that way since forever. The recent push to make them different is still pretty new and in the VAST majority of people gender and sex line up.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

We will do a gender reveal with cupcakes in just a few short weeks. I call it gender reveal simply because I don't want to call it an anatomy reveal. Does this mean I am deciding my child's gender? Of course not! My child can identify as whatever he/she wants to.

I have a question. Do you (general) think that parents choose the child's gender by purchasing gender specific clothing?
  10. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    We will do a gender reveal with cupcakes in just a few short weeks. I call it gender reveal simply because I don't want to call it an anatomy reveal. Does this mean I am deciding my child's gender? Of course not! My child can identify as whatever he/she wants to.

I have a question. Do you (general) think that parents choose the child's gender by purchasing gender specific clothing?
    Parents make plenty of assumptions about (choose) their child's gender/gender expression before they're born or able to make decisions about their preferences. It's inevitable, in my opinion. People project themselves onto their children.

I don't think I have a fully formed opinion of the term "gender reveal". I mean it's inaccurate but I don't feel any particular way about it, positively or negatively. My parents elected to forgo finding out the gender of 4/5 of us kids prior to our births and I think i'll do the same. I prefer gender neutral baby clothing/supplies anywho. So I guess i'll never have to wrestle with it myself!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast