Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Gender and Biological sex are different

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    This is just getting so ridiculous, I really do not understand being so tightly wound up about someone saying their babies "gender" is a boy or a girl. I mean seriously, who exactly are we "offending" here? I would find it more passive/rude to go around correcting expectant parents on their child's "sex" or whatever because someone might possibly be offended if they called the babies sex their "gender". If/when DH and I get pregnant, I planned on having a gender reveal party... And I will probably call it a "gender reveal" party because essentially yeah, I'm revealing the child's sex to my family but I'm also establishing what gender I plan to raise my child as. I really don't see many infants/toddlers having existential crisis's because parents are raising them a specific way to match their biological sex. In the off chance that my child/future child are in that .03% of the population and we raised them a gender specific way that was not equivalent to what they felt then we will make the corrections when that happens. I really don't plan on raising my kids in some gender neutral world just because they might be transgendered when they get older. That's silly to me but maybe that works for other parents, whatever floats your boat! They're your children, you raise them how you see fit.
    Ermegersh! AMEN!

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Staying silent is cowardly. Horrible things have happened and gone for too long because no one would speak up because they didn't find it legit or they didn't care.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

are you seriously comparing the use of the word gender referring to a child's biological sex to discrimination by the Nazi's? I'm so done

3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    This is just getting so ridiculous, I really do not understand being so tightly wound up about someone saying their babies "gender" is a boy or a girl. I mean seriously, who exactly are we "offending" here? I would find it more passive/rude to go around correcting expectant parents on their child's "sex" or whatever because someone might possibly be offended if they called the babies sex their "gender". If/when DH and I get pregnant, I planned on having a gender reveal party... And I will probably call it a "gender reveal" party because essentially yeah, I'm revealing the child's sex to my family but I'm also establishing what gender I plan to raise my child as. I really don't see many infants/toddlers having existential crisis's because parents are raising them a specific way to match their biological sex. In the off chance that my child/future child are in that .03% of the population and we raised them a gender specific way that was not equivalent to what they felt then we will make the corrections when that happens. I really don't plan on raising my kids in some gender neutral world just because they might be transgendered when they get older. That's silly to me but maybe that works for other parents, whatever floats your boat! They're your children, you raise them how you see fit.
    Heads up, term is transgender. It's an adjective not a verb so the ed at the end is wrong.
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    are you seriously comparing the use of the word gender referring to a child's biological sex to discrimination by the Nazi's? I'm so done

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I think she was referring to my cowardly quiet self.

6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I understand the difference and I absolutely think that more clarity on the differences should enter society. However, I don't find it comparable to Nazi regime and mass genocide. I think conversationally it can present as a know better do better topic, but like other know better do better topics not everyone will follow. I do not think that it is helpful to inflate or jump on those using it incorrectly though just like I don't think it is helpful or productive to do the same in regards to carseats, babywearing, usage of slurs etc... I would, personally, rather approach it in a less forceful way in the hopes of actually changing perspectives.

We are recognizing now, societly, that there is a difference between gender and sex. This is something more recently explored and more relevant because of cultural evolution. As with that evolution it will take time for this new way of thinking to be both understood and accepted by the majority population. We can't expect something that has taken decades to be brought to the public eye and understood to be accepted and validated overnight or without debate and confusion.
  7. Moderator
    Closing for STAFF review.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567