Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender and Biological sex are different

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Yes the term has been used that way for a while but guess what, things change. When you KNOW better you DO better. I used to use the r word and I used to use the phrase "spaz" until someone educated me on how offensive they are. I post in here and it's followed by a really awesome diagram breaking it down and yet much of what I read is "oh it's been used that way for years, who cares?" Obviously some people care so maybe changing your vocabulary might be something to consider rather than blowing it off. The word nigger was (and is) used for a long time in casual conversation but it's offensive as fuck now, just look at the shit those high school girls got themselves into. At one point the majority of people were like oh it's no big deal. Evolution is not just biological it's mental too. Know better, do better. Or be ignorant and offensive.
    Yeah, I really don't think you can compare the words nigger and retard to gender.

I respect your opinion, but I don't find it offensive. I would certainly never tell someone not to use the term "gender" when they're speaking about their child.

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Ok well gender isn't an offensive word like retard or nigger? And also it's not being used incorrectly... Telling people your female infant is a baby girl isn't wrong? Like... It IS a gender reveal! We found out the baby is female and that means in like 98% of people that she's a girl so that's the gender we are going to raise her as. Like wtf, how is that wrong?
    this.

I said who cares, because I certainly don't. But I also really don't care about a lot of words that people use. I don't spend my time trying to find things to be offended about.

3. Senior Member
    I don't mean this to be snarky, but by your definition does that mean that children have no gender until they are at an age where they can decide?

And what age would that be?
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yes the term has been used that way for a while but guess what, things change. When you KNOW better you DO better. I used to use the r word and I used to use the phrase "spaz" until someone educated me on how offensive they are. I post in here and it's followed by a really awesome diagram breaking it down and yet much of what I read is "oh it's been used that way for years, who cares?" Obviously some people care so maybe changing your vocabulary might be something to consider rather than blowing it off. The word nigger was (and is) used for a long time in casual conversation but it's offensive as fuck now, just look at the shit those high school girls got themselves into. At one point the majority of people were like oh it's no big deal. Evolution is not just biological it's mental too. Know better, do better. Or be ignorant and offensive.
    Those words are not even remotely comparable. That argument is a good one in a lot of settings, but not this one.

I Eelizah
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Those words are not even remotely comparable. That argument is a good one in a lot of settings, but not this one.
    Agreed

I think there's a lot of misinformation and incorrect assumptions about gender/sex and we could all stand to be better educated and more tolerant as a society, but I'm not sure comparing gender to slurs is the right way to get there.
  6. Senior Member
    Because if we can't do anything based on gender because that is undecided when they are born what about a name. Are we going to have to go with unisex names for all children now? We can't stop doing things that are gender specific just because that is not decided at or before birth.
  7. Senior Member
    The VAST majority of people are straight, should we eliminate LGBTQ terms because of that? Thats a pretty shitty reason, just because "most" people fit in a box.

Nope, parents do not choose the gender. An individual knows what gender they are.

They may not MEAN to be, but it is to some people.

You forgot the last part in your definition. the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

And I care. People I know care. Transgender and genderqueer people care. LOTS OF PEOPLE care.
    Well my quick Google search says 0.3% of the population is Trans so I'm not saying we get rid of terminology, just that we don't need to raise kids assuming they will be trans.

Eta: Gender isn't even "their" word. It was popularized by feminists in the 70s, not by trans-activists.
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Ok well gender isn't an offensive word like retard or nigger? And also it's not being used incorrectly... Telling people your female infant is a baby girl isn't wrong? Like... It IS a gender reveal! We found out the baby is female and that means in like 98% of people that she's a girl so that's the gender we are going to raise her as. Like wtf, how is that wrong?
    Because you found out the SEX of the baby not the gender. Why is this so hard to understand????
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    That's your opinion
  10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Because if we can't do anything based on gender because that is undecided when they are born what about a name. Are we going to have to go with unisex names for all children now? We can't stop doing things that are gender specific just because that is not decided at or before birth.
    jesus fucking christ. I never said that. I'm saying that there is a huge difference between gender and sex and the terms should not be used interchangeably.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast