Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Gender and Biological sex are different

  1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #11
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    While yes that is true, most people say Gender Reveal because it sounds a lot more appealing than Sex Reveal or Anatomy Scan Reveal.

    I don't think anyone is trying to pigeon hole their future child into one gender identity or another.
    Agree with the bolded. I don't think anyone is trying to be offensive, mean, controlling, etc. when they say gender reveal.

  2. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #12
    The definition of gender is the state of being male or female. So yeah that's why people use it. It's been used that way for a long time. Gender can also refer to the pronoun attached to a word, like el or la in spanish. Those things aren't literally male and female, la pluma doesn't mean that your pen is literally female.

    Words mean lots of different things. If someone wants to call it a gender reveal, who cares.


  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #13
    Follow-up question: If I have a son, am I deciding his gender if I buy him a swim trunks instead of a girl's swimsuit when he's two or three? Does it depend on age?

  4. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,787
    #14
    I think it is largely because the word "sex" as such different connotations and denotations. "sex reveal" sounds like a peep show. And frankly, "anatomy reveal" might not be 100% accurate, if we want to split hairs. It is possible to be a male (sex) without having a penis and/or testicles. (Though of course that would make any in utero sex guess likely wrong.

    While I know it's not really correct, the use of "gender" in this context doesn't really bother me, as it is how the term is used colloquially, and because a vast majority of the time, sex and gender/expression are all the same. It's not like "literally", when people use it to mean the exact opposite of what it actually means. But I might be more sensitive to the incorrect usage of gender if my gender, sex, and expression didn't all follow traditional expectations.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Kirst's Avatar
    Kirst is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,151
    Blog Entries
    2
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Follow-up question: If I have a son, am I deciding his gender if I buy him a swim trunks instead of a girl's swimsuit when he's two or three? Does it depend on age?
    I think from a psychological perspective you would be "influencing" his gender identity. To say boys wear swim trunks and girls wear bikinis is teaching what it means to be a boy. But when he grows up, he decides what his gender is based on how he perceives himself as a person.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #16
    Yes the term has been used that way for a while but guess what, things change. When you KNOW better you DO better. I used to use the r word and I used to use the phrase "spaz" until someone educated me on how offensive they are. I post in here and it's followed by a really awesome diagram breaking it down and yet much of what I read is "oh it's been used that way for years, who cares?" Obviously some people care so maybe changing your vocabulary might be something to consider rather than blowing it off. The word nigger was (and is) used for a long time in casual conversation but it's offensive as fuck now, just look at the shit those high school girls got themselves into. At one point the majority of people were like oh it's no big deal. Evolution is not just biological it's mental too. Know better, do better. Or be ignorant and offensive.
  7. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,787
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Yes the term has been used that way for a while but guess what, things change. When you KNOW better you DO better. I used to use the r word and I used to use the phrase "spaz" until someone educated me on how offensive they are. I post in here and it's followed by a really awesome diagram breaking it down and yet much of what I read is "oh it's been used that way for years, who cares?" Obviously some people care so maybe changing your vocabulary might be something to consider rather than blowing it off. The word nigger was (and is) used for a long time in casual conversation but it's offensive as fuck now, just look at the shit those high school girls got themselves into. At one point the majority of people were like oh it's no big deal. Evolution is not just biological it's mental too. Know better, do better. Or be ignorant and offensive.
    Whoa there. I didn't say I use the term that way. I very much try not to, and to use "gender" when I mean gender and "sex" when I mean sex, though I have probably slipped up at some point. I said it didn't really bother me, and then I admitted that most likely, that is due to coming from a gender-conforming position of privilege.

    I do know better, and I also do better. I was just expressing my opinion on whether or not hearing it used incorrectly bothers me.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Because the two are synonyms and have been used that way since forever. The recent push to make them different is still pretty new and in the VAST majority of people gender and sex line up.
    The VAST majority of people are straight, should we eliminate LGBTQ terms because of that? Thats a pretty shitty reason, just because "most" people fit in a box.

    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    We will do a gender reveal with cupcakes in just a few short weeks. I call it gender reveal simply because I don't want to call it an anatomy reveal. Does this mean I am deciding my child's gender? Of course not! My child can identify as whatever he/she wants to.

    I have a question. Do you (general) think that parents choose the child's gender by purchasing gender specific clothing?
    Nope, parents do not choose the gender. An individual knows what gender they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Agree with the bolded. I don't think anyone is trying to be offensive, mean, controlling, etc. when they say gender reveal.
    They may not MEAN to be, but it is to some people.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    The definition of gender is the state of being male or female. So yeah that's why people use it. It's been used that way for a long time. Gender can also refer to the pronoun attached to a word, like el or la in spanish. Those things aren't literally male and female, la pluma doesn't mean that your pen is literally female.

    Words mean lots of different things. If someone wants to call it a gender reveal, who cares.
    You forgot the last part in your definition. the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

    And I care. People I know care. Transgender and genderqueer people care. LOTS OF PEOPLE care.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Whoa there. I didn't say I use the term that way. I very much try not to, and to use "gender" when I mean gender and "sex" when I mean sex, though I have probably slipped up at some point. I said it didn't really bother me, and then I admitted that most likely, that is due to coming from a gender-conforming position of privilege.

    I do know better, and I also do better. I was just expressing my opinion on whether or not hearing it used incorrectly bothers me.
    I wasn't lashing out at you so much as the people that are like eh who cares nbd. As for the bolded, you hit the nail on the head.
  10. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Yes the term has been used that way for a while but guess what, things change. When you KNOW better you DO better. I used to use the r word and I used to use the phrase "spaz" until someone educated me on how offensive they are. I post in here and it's followed by a really awesome diagram breaking it down and yet much of what I read is "oh it's been used that way for years, who cares?" Obviously some people care so maybe changing your vocabulary might be something to consider rather than blowing it off. The word nigger was (and is) used for a long time in casual conversation but it's offensive as fuck now, just look at the shit those high school girls got themselves into. At one point the majority of people were like oh it's no big deal. Evolution is not just biological it's mental too. Know better, do better. Or be ignorant and offensive.
    Ok well gender isn't an offensive word like retard or nigger? And also it's not being used incorrectly... Telling people your female infant is a baby girl isn't wrong? Like... It IS a gender reveal! We found out the baby is female and that means in like 98% of people that she's a girl so that's the gender we are going to raise her as. Like wtf, how is that wrong?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •