Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think America should take in Syrian refugees?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Do you think America should take in Syrian refugees?

Advertisements
    The title says it all. What are your thoughts on it and why? If you think they should be taken in, what do you think we should do with them? What services are we obligated to provide, if any. If you don't think we should take any in, what do you think should be done with them? Leave it to other countries to provide shelter? Leave them to deal with the issues within their own country?

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I can't really form a cohesive argument so I'm wondering what other people think.

I Eelizah
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I was wondering when this would be posted

I have so many feelings about this. I see both sides of the argument tbh. The situation is scary HOWEVER we shouldn't generalize HOWEVER how do we know etc etc etc.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    I was wondering when this would be posted

I have so many feelings about this. I see both sides of the argument tbh. The situation is scary HOWEVER we shouldn't generalize HOWEVER how do we know etc etc etc.
    I've been waiting for someone else do it since I don't really have an argument to contribute at present. However, today my fb exploded with it because our governor wants to deny them entry. So I decided to just go ahead and post.

I Eelizah
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think we should allow in a certain amount of them just like we do any other refugee. We let in Iraqis and Afghanis so why are Syrians different? Honestly saying we shouldn't let them in because they're muslim, or they're Syrian or "all terrorists" or whatever is racist and ignorant IMO. Yes we need to do our due diligence vetting and screening who we allow in but that screening shouldn't be based on religion or nationality.
  5. Senior Member
    Being from Germany, and from a country that has been taking in hundred thousands of refugees these last few months, and lots of them from Syria, yes, I do think we should take them in. (Can't speak for the US). I also think we should provide them with basic housing (a lot better than many of them have been getting) and some money so they can feed themselves.

France didn't get attacked by people fleeing the war in their countries, by people fleeing from the very people who now killed people in France. They deserve help.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Yes!
    I grew up in a teeny midwestern town that had tons of Hmong refugees. After a decade or two, they're fully integrated into the community and it's not a big deal anymore. I then moved to a city with a huge amount of Somali refugees. It was harder for them, I think, because urban life can be more brutal than small town living, but their communities are beginning to flourish. Then, in San Diego, DH and I lived in a neighborhood with tons (60K+) of Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic) refugees. They were so friendly and nice, although there is some tension between them and other ethnic groups here, especially Hispanics and [some] Caucasians. But after a generation or so, these issues seem to settle down and everyone becomes part of the community.

Basically, my view is that refugees should always be helped. I saw an interesting statistic online (gonna try to find a source) that said that at best guess, ISIS has around 34,000 members. However, there are ~23 million Syrians, which means only 1 in every 676 Syrians MIGHT be part of ISIS (which is unlikely, as many of ISIS's 34K people are not Syrian anyways). Should we deny so many a place to live because 1 might be a member of ISIS?

As for what we should provide... the same as we've provided Hmong or Vietnamese or Jewish or Somali or Iraqi or Congolese or Ethiopian refugees. Congress allows 70K refugees a year, I don't see why Syrian ones should be specifically excluded if we haven't hit the cap for 2015 year. Otherwise, we can bring them after the new year
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    At the moment....I am wishy washy on the subject. I don't want to say no because I know not all or even most Syrians are bad, but I don't want to say yes because I know posing as refugees is how they are getting into other countries.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    At the moment....I am wishy washy on the subject. I don't want to say no because I know not all or even most Syrians are bad, but I don't want to say yes because I know posing as refugees is how they are getting into other countries.
    This is where I'm at.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    This is how I feel. I soooooo want to let in a [certain number of] refugees and help, because most of these people are kind and good and are just fleeing the horrors, but some to pose as refugees simply to enter the country and then they get to train homegrown terrorists. I know besides 100% closing borders this can happen regardless, and I dont think we should do that obviously, but I have a hard time being excited to take on refugees.
  10. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!
    This.

Our governor has decided that it would be a bad idea to allow them into our state.
    Last edited by SamiLynn; 11-16-2015 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Better wording
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast