Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Do you think America should take in Syrian refugees?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Here's a small fact sheet outlining how it works. It also has a link to the Presidential memorandum from last year about 2015's limit.
    Refugees: A Fact Sheet | Immigration Policy Center

Actually.... many middle eastern countries have let Christians/Jews hide as refugees. Iran has a very large Polish population after people moved there during WWII, for example. Lebanon and Jordan both took in huge numbers of Chaldeans (Christians/Catholics) during the 2 Iraq wars despite being both Islamic countries. I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as many Americans believe.

I haven't seen a single source saying anything over 10,000.
    I stand corrected on the christians as refugees comment than. I don't recall knowing that information.

I will say though.....it is my opinion that what they say they will do to vet refugees and what really happens will be 2 totally different things. Hard to check anyone if they have no documents etc.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I haven't seen a single source saying anything over 10,000.
    As the Syrian refugee crisis in Europe and the Middle East became more dire over the summer, the Obama administration decided to re-evaluate how many Syrian refugees could be admitted. Ultimately, the President decided to set a goal of 10,000 for the current fiscal year, which goes until October 2016.
    In order to accommodate these additional Syrian refugees, the administration upped the total number of refugees it would allow in FY2016 to 85,000, with plans to increase it to 100,000 in FY2017.
    How do Syrian refugees get into the U.S.? - CNNPolitics.com
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I stand corrected on the christians as refugees comment than. I don't recall knowing that information.

I will say though.....it is my opinion that what they say they will do to vet refugees and what really happens will be 2 totally different things. Hard to check anyone if they have no documents etc.
    Yeah I totally get it's hard to check their backgrounds and everything, I just don't think the majority of them pose any danger. Usually refugees have to report to court (for eventual citizenship) and stuff, so I think it's far more secure than them sneaking here as undocumented refugees. It happens all the time. There's a guy here in San Diego who writes in the paper about his non-profit doing private citizen smuggling from the middle east (mostly Iraqis) and I have no idea why there hasn't been police intervention yet but that's certainly a far more dangerous way to go about it than applying as a real refugee.

Ah ok! So it would be an increase of 10K Syrians for this fiscal year, and as many as 25K Syrians for the following year. The 100K is for all refugees from around the world, not just Syrians. Obama won't be prez in 2017 though so I don't know if that will hold. We admitted 80K per year 2008-2011 so I don't think that's a huge deal but 100K might be a bit much.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ah ok! So it would be an increase of 10K Syrians for this fiscal year, and as many as 25K Syrians for the following year. The 100K is for all refugees from around the world, not just Syrians. Obama won't be prez in 2017 though so I don't know if that will hold. We admitted 80K per year 2008-2011 so I don't think that's a huge deal but 100K might be a bit much.
    Correct, the increase to 100,000 was in reference to the total number of refugees, not Syrians alone. And I agree-- the extra 20K in one year seems like it would be toeing the line financially. We can't help anyone if we founder under too many financial obligations at the same time. We need to be methodical and logical right now.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

6. Banned
    Banned
    Really, great topic! Having a bias opinion sometimes can make the difference.
  7. Senior Member
    A few, sure. But taking in a lot of them doesn't do them any favors. It's not just about *our* security issues, or anything like that. These people arrive, we give them some meager supplies to get started, and then they are basically left to mostly fend for themselves or to rely upon non-profits, many of which are already strained. That's not a recipe for success or happiness. I do think we need to help these people, and while I know that refugee camps have their many issues, I think that is the way to go.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345