Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-year ban on federal funding for Planned Parenthood

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

1-year ban on federal funding for Planned Parenthood

Advertisements
    House Approves Bill To Cease Funding Planned Parenthood : The Two-Way : NPR

By a 241-187 vote, the House of Representatives has approved a bill that would cut off federal money for Planned Parenthood. The bill isn't expected to pass in the Senate — and President Obama has said he would veto any bill that defunds the group.

Last year, Planned Parenthood received around $528 million in government funds that came to it through two federal programs that are aimed at lower-income Americans: Medicaid and Title X. (Our It's All Politics blog recently gave a detailed rundown of the group's funding.)

In today's debate on the defunding bill, a co-sponsor, Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Fla., said:

"Taxpayers should not be forced to financially support organizations whose behavior is at best unethical and possibly illegal. When it comes to defunding Planned Parenthood, the issue should not be partisan. This is about protecting the rights of taxpayers — but more importantly, protecting the basic right of human life. I will continue to give a voice to our most fragile Americans who cannot speak for themselves."
    Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., responded by saying:

"In fact, there were over 4 million visits to Planned Parenthood clinics last year, and over 90 percent of this was basic women's health care, and not abortions. So why are we talking about this today? Why are we talking about this legislation? Planned Parenthood does these services, and no federal funds are spent on abortion services that Planned Parenthood does provide. But yet the majority will take the radical step of denying women of the basic health care they need. This radical agenda is wrong — it's wrong for American women, and it's wrong for us, when the federal budget expires in just 13 days."
    Planned Parenthood says it only donates fetal tissue after abortions for medical research, legally and at the request of the patient. Planned Parenthood does receive reimbursements for the costs of preserving and transporting the tissue, which is explicitly allowed under federal law.
    The 3% of PP services that includes safe, legal abortions shouldn't overshadow the fact that PP saves thousands of lives through cancer screenings and HIV tests every year. It seems as though everyone has forgotten about the Hyde Amendment (which means that federal funds aren't used for abortions unless it's a case of rape, incest, or the mother's life is in danger). Planned Parenthood also does not receive funds (federal or otherwise) for "selling body parts" of the aborted babies and I'm tired of seeing all the BS on my facebook feed about these doctored videos of it. The tissue is used for medical research, just like dead peoples' organs and bodies can be.

I visit Planned Parenthood for my exams, preventive tests, and screenings. I can't imagine a world without it.

Obama Threatens To Veto Planned Parenthood Defunding Bill

I really hope he does veto this awful bill if it passes the Senate.
    Last edited by KittenMittens; 09-18-2015 at 10:41 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    I am not terribly sad about it because I dislike PP. If it goes through and they can operate without federal funding than great. If they can't than so be it.
  3. Senior Member
    This is just so ridiculous. Idk why conservatives are so goddamn concerned about women's bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I am not terribly sad about it because I dislike PP. If it goes through and they can operate without federal funding than great. If they can't than so be it.
    Why do you dislike planned parenthood?
  4. Senior Member
    I'm so fucking tired of this shit. Their money ALREADY doesn't go towards abortion services. And it's not like the government is handing PP a 500$ million dollar blank check. That money is coming (75% at least) through Medicaid for services provided. You wanna talk nanny state? Let's not allow those women to use their health insurance at PP to receive legal health services. I thought this was a free country.
  5. Moderator

I suspect there would be many more abortions if PP didn't exist. Meanwhile, I do feel an impartial investigation is justified. But funds should not be stopped unless a completed investigation reveals illegal activity, IMO.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I suspect there would be many more abortions if PP didn't exist. Meanwhile, I do feel an impartial investigation is justified. But funds should not be stopped unless a completed investigation reveals illegal activity, IMO.
    Okay, yeah, I do agree with this. I didn't realize this move was spurred by a scandal, but I get it now.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This is just so ridiculous. Idk why conservatives are so goddamn concerned about women's bodies.
    The thought of a woman being in complete control of her own body terrifies them. We aren't supposed to have any power, duh.
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBär View Post
    The thought of a woman being in complete control of her own body terrifies them. We aren't supposed to have any power, duh.
    Basically. I mean, why should something like an abortion or birth control be OUR decision?
  9. Senior Member
    Its not just about the decision of the woman, many republicans, especially the vocal ones, wholeheartedly believe that abortion is murder, and believe that a baby is a human being at conception. It's not this silly "well we don't want women to have control!!!!111!" because there are women who believe that abortion is murder too. It's a huge ideological difference between the parties, and I feel like mocking one side or the other doesn't solve anything.

I can't consider myself pro-life, but I don't really consider myself pro-choice either (as those terms are currently being defined anyway). It's a touchy subject. I don't think banning abortions is the answer, but I don't think easily accessible clinic abortions are the answer either. I'm for making abortions a procedure that you get after consultation with a doctor in a hospital, I find that act of getting an abortion because "oops got pregnant and I'm not ready/don't want it" to be disturbing. and that's MY opinion.

At any rate, this will never pass the senate. They'll probably filibuster it and it won't even go to a vote, just like the Iran deal stuff.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Basically. I mean, why should something like an abortion or birth control be OUR decision?
    First they let us get abortions and control our sexuality and contraceptive options...next thing you know, we're enslaving men in bunkers and then Satan shows up and and and APOCALYPSE!

When the Pope is more understanding and accepting of these things than the far right, you know they've reached new heights of oppressiveness. Let a mofo try to tell me to my face what to do with my uterus. lemme at em lemme at em.
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast