Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Auschwitz mist showers anger visitors

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    There is a difference between finding something distasteful and actually being offended by it. I said OFFENSE to it is lack of education. Calm down, I didn't say anything about you or your stepmother being uneducated.
    I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but "calm down" only works to patronize when the other party is flipping a shit.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBär View Post
    This. I really think it's tasteless, but not intentionally offensive. Just kinda...derp derp derpy. Like this crossed nobody's mind during the planning phase? It'd be one of the first things I thought of.

Also I'm with Jen...I've never seen misters here!
    Also, I get that it wasn't actually the showers that killed people, but that is an image that many people hold in their head and hearts, as that was the false pretense used to corral the victims into one area. I think they could have definitely come up with something better. I've even seen misters from the ground, almost like a water park. Or a vertical column with water coming out at the sides. Just something that doesn't look like this.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

While I am not offended, I can understand why there are some that would be.

On a side note... Keep the personal jabs where they belong.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well, I don't have a lot of experience in Europe, or with those spray thingers. And I don't have a ton of knowledge on the actual mechanisms used to murder those at Auschwitz. But, if id walked into this museum, my first reaction would probably be "ick" and then id move on
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Nutmeg View Post
    So I'm so slow, but I definitely read this as you saying that you think the misters are hot like attractive hot I was like "um wow that's interesting i guess!"
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBär View Post
    Ashley is on the prowl
    be sure not to miss my appearance on TLC's Strange Sex.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    No, and I don't think it's tasteless either because the shower heads or misters or any kind of thing like that were not what killed the people. Airtight containers of zyclonB were dropped into the room (an airtight room, not a shower head or mister sitting outside), usually by a hole in the ceiling or some other kind of hole. The showers were fake. the shower heads were fake.
    They had people fainting in Poland due to the heat, and this was a quick easy way to keep people from overheating. I think offense at this is due to lack of education.
    Way to be dismissive. If one sees a tie between showers and the holocaust, one is ignorance and uneducated? Really? This post drips with condescension. You make it sound as though there is no actual tie between showers and the deaths at the camps. People were herded in to showers (whether this actually happened en masse a Auschwitz is a matter for debate, but I'm sure you knew that) and murdered there. Just because the poison didn't come out of shower heads doesn't suddenly mean there's no clear and obvious tie between the Shoah and showers. And from that tie, some are going to find it distasteful, and others offensive. Because the tie is obvious, even to someone who is educated on the subject.

Add me to the list of those who've never seen this in Germany. I think that's probably because it usually isn't as hot here as it is in a lot of other parts of Europe. I've seen them in Italy and Greece and maybe other places--places that tend to be hot. Germany, OTOH, just isn't prepared for this insane weather we've been having.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Way to be dismissive. If one sees a tie between showers and the holocaust, one is ignorance and uneducated? Really? This post drips with condescension. You make it sound as though there is no actual tie between showers and the deaths at the camps. People were herded in to showers (whether this actually happened en masse a Auschwitz is a matter for debate, but I'm sure you knew that) and murdered there. Just because the poison didn't come out of shower heads doesn't suddenly mean there's no clear and obvious tie between the Shoah and showers. And from that tie, some are going to find it distasteful, and others offensive. Because the tie is obvious, even to someone who is educated on the subject.

Add me to the list of those who've never seen this in Germany. I think that's probably because it usually isn't as hot here as it is in a lot of other parts of Europe. I've seen them in Italy and Greece and maybe other places--places that tend to be hot. Germany, OTOH, just isn't prepared for this insane weather we've been having.
    Which is probably why they look so poorly and haphazardly set up in that picture. I don't mind the idea of misters, but man those ones look like an eye sore!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Which is probably why they look so poorly and haphazardly set up in that picture. I don't mind the idea of misters, but man those ones look like an eye sore!!
    I, for one, think they look great.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

I've seen them in Germany, more in Bavaria where it does get hot. Like Vino said, in Munich. Besides that, Germany has nothing to do with it anyway considering Auschwitz is in Poland, where it does get hot.

I'm not being dismissive, I'm stating my opinion. I've seen a lot of news reports and things about this on facebook, on the whole it seems that people acting outraged aren't really that educated when it comes to the Holocaust. There are a lot of people who think the showers killed the Jews, when they didn't. You might think the tie is obvious, but I don't. Other parts of the camp, Auschwitz particularly, had showers that were used as showers. They bathed prisoners before putting them to work, as part of the cleaning process (likewise shaving their head, among other things). All those showers did was clean people. They had them at other camps as well, I stood in them at Dachau. They were just that, showers, and all that came out of the shower heads was water.

'Uneducated' isn't an offensive term. Uneducated doesn't mean stupid. It means you don't know about something, and a lot of people aren't super familiar with a lot of things that happened during this time period. I don't claim to know everything either. But I do, in my own opinion, think that a lot of the offense and outrage comes from those who aren't very educated about this particular topic. That's not an insult, it's not meant to be dismissive, it's just a statement.

10. Senior Member
    I do think they are in poor taste, if only for the way they look. I do understand the purpose of them, considering the heat, but well...

I have seen misters in different places, in Germany as well as in the Czech Republic They did look different though. Mist usually came from something on the ground. Might have been a better choice here too.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast