Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: School board bans rebel mascot

  1. Moderator
    twistertwin's Avatar
    twistertwin is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    8,576


    #21
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My whole 'issue' is the fact that people are associating racism with confederate flag, or rebel or any of that sort. None of it was or is even related to racism. Just because some people (okay maybe more than some) have failed to read a history book and determined that the confederate flag or rebels equal racism, doesn't mean everyone else has to appease them.

    What about those who are not offended and know what the true history of anything confederate is? How are they being heard? Why aren't their 'rights' being seen? I'm just getting tired of the voice of the few overpowering the voice of many because wahoo in office (this case school board) wants to be politically correct, get re-elected, and not have any confrontation.

    I think its wrong and it needs to stop.. This wouldn't be at the escalation it is if it weren't for the media. Confederate flag and the rebel do not mean racism, history proves as such. Confederate flag and rebel represent the civil war, which was not started out of racism...

    but, I will leave it at that.. this is obviously a hot topic and I likely am out on my own limb regarding it. I'm not in the mood today to get into a knock down drag out fight on MSOS about it. These are my feelings about it all, and my opinions. I know what my history books have taught me, and I refuse to listen to the biased media that tells me other wise. I won't be a sheeple. So, in my head, in my knowledge, and what I know... the confederate flag, and rebels, and the like will always represent the civil war, not racism.
    Except Arkansas didn't fight, in the Civil War, under that flag. The Rebel flag, or the Stars and Bars, flag that is so popular, wasn't even the flag that they fought under. So, it holds no symbolism in Arkansas.

    You can't sit there and want people not to change, when they want to change. This town is done with the Rebel flag and mascot. They want a change. You can't force your feelings on a town that wants change, then call them sheeple.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    tremblingturtle's Avatar
    tremblingturtle is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    14,195

    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My whole 'issue' is the fact that people are associating racism with confederate flag, or rebel or any of that sort. None of it was or is even related to racism. Just because some people (okay maybe more than some) have failed to read a history book and determined that the confederate flag or rebels equal racism, doesn't mean everyone else has to appease them.

    What about those who are not offended and know what the true history of anything confederate is? How are they being heard? Why aren't their 'rights' being seen? I'm just getting tired of the voice of the few overpowering the voice of many because wahoo in office (this case school board) wants to be politically correct, get re-elected, and not have any confrontation.

    I think its wrong and it needs to stop.. This wouldn't be at the escalation it is if it weren't for the media. Confederate flag and the rebel do not mean racism, history proves as such. Confederate flag and rebel represent the civil war, which was not started out of racism...

    but, I will leave it at that.. this is obviously a hot topic and I likely am out on my own limb regarding it. I'm not in the mood today to get into a knock down drag out fight on MSOS about it. These are my feelings about it all, and my opinions. I know what my history books have taught me, and I refuse to listen to the biased media that tells me other wise. I won't be a sheeple. So, in my head, in my knowledge, and what I know... the confederate flag, and rebels, and the like will always represent the civil war, not racism.
    All of my history books have told me that the entire reason for the civil war was slavery. That the south wanted to succeed because they wanted to continue to treat people as property.

    If you (general you) are so proud of a symbol that is representative of a bold hatred, by all means, fly the flag at your house. Get pictures of rebel soldiers tattooed on your body, paint it on your walls. But don't force it on people who do not believe it is as harmless as you think it is.

    The entire basis of the civil war was racism and slavery. How does the flag and the rebels not represent racism?
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Twinderella's Avatar
    Twinderella is offline
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    48,077


    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Also, I have no problem taking away symbols of pride that give people no material benefit to allow people who have been harmed by those symbols in real ways to feel like they belong in their own public school. If you (general) take pride in Dixie, play it in your home or in gatherings of people who also take pride in Dixie. If the image of Confederate Soldiers means something significant to you, put a painting up in your house. But if the mascot of a school is representative of an oppressive history for students at your school- if many of your students are supposed to be represented by a song and symbol representative (though maybe not to some who claim the rest "just don't know history) of the violent oppression and abuse of their ancestors, it's time to change it to something that the students can ALL be proud to claim as their representative.
    Exactly this.

    And sheeple is a terrible term. People who disagree with you are not sheeple. Racism is associated with the confederate flag because the confederate states seceeded in an attempt to preserve slavery. That is what history proves and scholars and historians the nation over agree on. Denying that now doesn't make it not true, and calling people names who accept that as a part of history doesn't prove your point.


  4. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Maybe it hasn't been an issue people felt safe voicing until now.
    I'd believe that if rebels were only soldiers from the american civil war.

    But even still since the confederate soldiers are american veterans I don't see why anything needs to be gotten rid of. Well I mean I guess we could do away with the american flag as well. And anything about Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Martin Van Buren, William Harrison, James Polk to name a few for owning slaves (thus being ok with slavery). Oh wait, since it was people (yes some black) in Africa selling blacks to be slaves lets get rid of anything african. So if we want to get our panties in a bunch over history, lets go all fucking in.
  5. Senior Member
    Serenity's Avatar
    Serenity is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,130
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    My whole 'issue' is the fact that people are associating racism with confederate flag, or rebel or any of that sort. None of it was or is even related to racism. Just because some people (okay maybe more than some) have failed to read a history book and determined that the confederate flag or rebels equal racism, doesn't mean everyone else has to appease them.

    What about those who are not offended and know what the true history of anything confederate is? How are they being heard? Why aren't their 'rights' being seen? I'm just getting tired of the voice of the few overpowering the voice of many because wahoo in office (this case school board) wants to be politically correct, get re-elected, and not have any confrontation.

    I think its wrong and it needs to stop.. This wouldn't be at the escalation it is if it weren't for the media. Confederate flag and the rebel do not mean racism, history proves as such. Confederate flag and rebel represent the civil war, which was not started out of racism...

    but, I will leave it at that.. this is obviously a hot topic and I likely am out on my own limb regarding it. I'm not in the mood today to get into a knock down drag out fight on MSOS about it. These are my feelings about it all, and my opinions. I know what my history books have taught me, and I refuse to listen to the biased media that tells me other wise. I won't be a sheeple. So, in my head, in my knowledge, and what I know... the confederate flag, and rebels, and the like will always represent the civil war, not racism.
    So which history book do you recommend? Cause my history books taught me something different. You know, the whole civil war to keep slavery and such, but I guess that's nothing racist...


    If they wanna change it, more power to them. Seems like a great decision.
  6. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #26
    I will say if the rebel they are using is specifically a confederate soldier I am ok with them changing the image, again a rebel isn't just a confederate soldier. And I am ok with confederate flags being taken off state gov't property. I am NOT ok with monuments, parks, graves etc being destroyed.
  7. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,562

    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I'd believe that if rebels were only soldiers from the american civil war.

    But even still since the confederate soldiers are american veterans I don't see why anything needs to be gotten rid of. Well I mean I guess we could do away with the american flag as well. And anything about Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Martin Van Buren, William Harrison, James Polk to name a few for owning slaves (thus being ok with slavery). Oh wait, since it was people (yes some black) in Africa selling blacks to be slaves lets get rid of anything african. So if we want to get our panties in a bunch over history, lets go all fucking in.
    I really love dismissive rhetoric like panties in a bunch and such, it adds so much value to a conversation.

    Of all places, I feel a public school is a place where students should be able to walk through the doors and feel "there is a place for me here." I feel symbols like Dixie and Johnny Reb are prohibitive of that goal. If that means my panties are in a bunch, I guess I'll keep buying the bunchiest ones I can find. Extra-bunchy, please, no original recipe.
  8. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    aBr's Avatar
    aBr is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Nellis AFB
    Posts
    616

    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Fort Smith isn't that huge. I know people in the community, as I'm from Arkansas. They are tired of this. There is a huge racist presence close to Ft. Smith, with the KKK, and people are ready to move on. Put this stuff in the past and have a community a little more progressive. That's a big thing for a town in Arkansas.



    Ole Miss has addressed this before. They even said last year that it won't change. Plus, it would cost them an crazy amount of money to do so.

    I agree with all of your points and with the resident who was interviewed. Not everyone who likes the confederate flag or wants to keep "johnny rebel" as their mascot is racist or even thinks of those things as racially charged symbols, but they simply are. There's just a matter of history to it. My mom's from Alabama and I know very well that some people just consider them symbols of the south and southern pride, but like the interviewee said, there's probably a much better way to represent the community as a whole. As far as "Dixie" goes, that song wasn't written as some kind of patriotic theme, it was written to be performed in conjunction with blackface in minstrel shows. I was in marching band in high school and i'm gonna say there's a likely chance I wouldn't have been if Dixie was our fight song.

    It's about time. Even if it costs money. It's about time.
  9. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #29
    Yes Twister Twin hit the nail on the head. Race is a big deal here. We are about 20 miles from Fort Smith. We had a black family harassed straight out of town. People vandalizing their house and hanging nooses in the trees outside of their house. This was in the late 90's. Fort Smith has a big black population for this area. But they still aren't welcome in the smaller communites. I have family that has gone to this school in question and there is a lot of outrage from them.

    I don't fly the flag due to my family history. But I don't give a rats butt if someone else wants to fly it.
  10. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #30
    And Southside High School is made up of rich white kids mostly. Northside is mainly composed of black and Asian students in the "rougher" part of Fort Smith.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •