Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School board bans rebel mascot

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I see no issue with it. People wanted change, so the school board voted to change it. I don't see it as a "ban" but a change made by the school board. Is that not the reason people elect a school board, to make decisions for the schools?
    Well, school boards don't always make the decision for the 'schools' or the 'people' it is often highly political and do whatever gets them elected.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Maybe it hasn't been an issue people felt safe voicing until now.
    goes back to my less than 1%.. how can less than 1% have the voice of everyone?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    What is their reason for getting rid of it?

Is it because they are warped into the sheeple mentality and what the media is spewing out?

Getting rid of something because the people do not understand its meaning, and instead want to just 'abide' by what the media portrays is just downright stupid.

There is zero purpose for this school to spend $200K on changing uniforms and such to abide to what the sheeple and media want. For decades that mascot and song have been there, it hasn't been an issue, until now. And that's what I have a problem with.

And I don't know if I agree the whole community is behind it. only 200 people showed (According to article in OP). I'm not sure how big that district is, but 200 people in my community would not even be 1% of the community. So if the less than 1% are dictating what happens, then we are all in a world of hurt.
    Fort Smith isn't that huge. I know people in the community, as I'm from Arkansas. They are tired of this. There is a huge racist presence close to Ft. Smith, with the KKK, and people are ready to move on. Put this stuff in the past and have a community a little more progressive. That's a big thing for a town in Arkansas.

and where does it end?

Look at Ole Miss.. they have been the rebels for decades, and their mascot is a confederate solider.. are they now going to have to change their entire history just because the media and sheeple say it should?
    Ole Miss has addressed this before. They even said last year that it won't change. Plus, it would cost them an crazy amount of money to do so.
  4. Moderator

goes back to my less than 1%.. how can less than 1% have the voice of everyone?
    That figure is an insubstantiated assumption.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If they are making decisions just to get elected again, why in the hell would they be appeasing the less than one percent? They would need the vote of more than less than one percent to be relected...
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    What is their reason for getting rid of it?

Is it because they are warped into the sheeple mentality and what the media is spewing out?

Getting rid of something because the people do not understand its meaning, and instead want to just 'abide' by what the media portrays is just downright stupid.

There is zero purpose for this school to spend $200K on changing uniforms and such to abide to what the sheeple and media want. For decades that mascot and song have been there, it hasn't been an issue, until now. And that's what I have a problem with.

And I don't know if I agree the whole community is behind it. only 200 people showed (According to article in OP). I'm not sure how big that district is, but 200 people in my community would not even be 1% of the community. So if the less than 1% are dictating what happens, then we are all in a world of hurt.
    Just so you know, the word "sheeple" will make a lot of people want to completely disregard your posts. It's pretty insulting.

Anyways, I'm fine with them changing it. Change isn't inherently bad or neglectful of history or tradition. Schools have been changing their mascots to be more culturally sensitive since the 60's so it's not like this is new.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Moderator

Also, I have no problem taking away symbols of pride that give people no material benefit to allow people who have been harmed by those symbols in real ways to feel like they belong in their own public school. If you (general) take pride in Dixie, play it in your home or in gatherings of people who also take pride in Dixie. If the image of Confederate Soldiers means something significant to you, put a painting up in your house. But if the mascot of a school is representative of an oppressive history for students at your school- if many of your students are supposed to be represented by a song and symbol representative (though maybe not to some who claim the rest "just don't know history) of the violent oppression and abuse of their ancestors, it's time to change it to something that the students can ALL be proud to claim as their representative.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My whole 'issue' is the fact that people are associating racism with confederate flag, or rebel or any of that sort. None of it was or is even related to racism. Just because some people (okay maybe more than some) have failed to read a history book and determined that the confederate flag or rebels equal racism, doesn't mean everyone else has to appease them.

What about those who are not offended and know what the true history of anything confederate is? How are they being heard? Why aren't their 'rights' being seen? I'm just getting tired of the voice of the few overpowering the voice of many because wahoo in office (this case school board) wants to be politically correct, get re-elected, and not have any confrontation.

I think its wrong and it needs to stop.. This wouldn't be at the escalation it is if it weren't for the media. Confederate flag and the rebel do not mean racism, history proves as such. Confederate flag and rebel represent the civil war, which was not started out of racism...

but, I will leave it at that.. this is obviously a hot topic and I likely am out on my own limb regarding it. I'm not in the mood today to get into a knock down drag out fight on MSOS about it. These are my feelings about it all, and my opinions. I know what my history books have taught me, and I refuse to listen to the biased media that tells me other wise. I won't be a sheeple. So, in my head, in my knowledge, and what I know... the confederate flag, and rebels, and the like will always represent the civil war, not racism.

9. Moderator

I'm sorry (not sorry) but that "people don't know history and don't bother to read a history book" line is not only worn out, but dismissive, insulting, and completely ridiculous.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I couldn't care less. It is just a mascot and if they want to change it whatever .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast