Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: School board bans rebel mascot

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I thought I read or heard somewhere (maybe in a documentary) that he wasn't pro-slavery.

ETA: Going back and reading through, he used that to boost his image as a good/strong man. I think I heard he was not for slavery in the Ken Burns documentary. Perhaps they meant as a cause for secession? I will have to read further on this because I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    He actually owned slaves. Some where inherited, but not all.
    See my above post.

I am still trying to see where that documentary got the idea he was against slavery...s no luck thus far.

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Yeah I know. I think it is a stupid name no matter the reason.

Yes indeedy. Slavery was not a southern thing. It was an american thing.
    Slavery was an international thing. We just happened to be near the last to get rid of it, officially
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Ambitiously Blonde
    Ambitiously Blonde
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    and where does it end?

Look at Ole Miss.. they have been the rebels for decades, and their mascot is a confederate solider.. are they now going to have to change their entire history just because the media and sheeple say it should?
    As an Ole Miss fan/alumni they've already taken our mascot. It was a big uproar (and still has a lot of bitterness behind it among a lot of Ole Miss fans/supporters) I believe it was 2009 (maybe even 2008?) that they stopped letting "Colonel Reb" represent us on the field in sports or in the community. That's why they replaced him with a 'black bear' but we're still called "Ole Miss Rebels". It's all really ironic because they eliminated it due to the 'racism' factor and Colonel Reb was molded and characterized by a black man that used to attend the games in a 3 piece white suit every season. It originated from a black man, but no one bothered to hear the history or research the story behind it.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910