Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School Supply Lists - Do they ask too much?

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

School Supply Lists - Do they ask too much?

Advertisements
    I feel like we had this similar discussion last year but it's a debate that is resurfacing in my house right now and I'm curious what everyone's thought processes regarding school supplies is.

Do you think the amount of school supplies being requested is too much? How do you feel about the "communal supplies" being utilized in classrooms?

Honestly, I think the lists are fine. Yes they may be long and seem excessive but I would rather my child be equipped with the supplies she needs to learn in that classroom versus her not having what she needs and requiring the teacher pay out of pocket to provide my child with supplies to do their job as the teacher to teach them. My MIL doesn't share the same sentiment as I do and said she wouldn't be purchasing everything on the supply list but only what she FELT like little BIL needed for just him alone... Idk that just seems really petty to me. I get not wanting to buy supplies for another student or not wanting to put supplies into a classroom pool but it's not like your child isn't going to use anything from the community supply closet at all in the year. I 100% doubt those school supplies go into a classroom supply pool and then your child is the only one who doesn't use anything from it. Or that you buy reams of printing paper and the teacher just hoards it all for themselves to print what they need on there.

My other thought process is that school funding has dwindled down more and more each year and the more it dwindles, the less teachers have to purchase supplies and actually setup their classrooms with the "allotments" they receive. So then these teachers go out and purchase supplies and pay out of pocket to make sure these children are taken care... but then we as parents have this expectation that they should buy more supplies and pay more out of pocket because we don't want a lengthy supply list to provide for OUR children's education... So we pay teachers dirt cheap salaries and then want them to take money they need to live and pay their bills to buy supplies needed to do their jobs. I don't get that.

It's like going to a doctor and saying HEY I'm hurt and need X,Y,Z and then you receive treatment and then you expect the doctor to pay for all the supplies that were needed to treat you. That's not how that works. You go to the doctor and you pay for the supplies they need to do THEIR job to treat you properly. So how is it not the same for teachers paying for the supplies our children need to equip the educators to just simply do THEIR jobs?

I got way more lengthy than I thought I would in this post but what are your opinions?

2. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

I have never had to buy school supplies outside of a backpack and lunch box. The classrooms will ask for donations but they already have the necessities that they need. I'm not sure if its all of Connecticut that does this or just the two towns I've lived in. It's pretty awesome. however if/when I have to buy school supplies, I won't complain about it. It's whatever.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I think they are excessive, I have several family members that are teachers so I know that if people want to "take a stand" and not purchase what's on the list then the teachers go out with their own funds to stock their classroom so I buy what's on the list.

I don't agree with the classroom pooling EVERYTHING a child brings in but it's not going to change and if I send DD with only what I think she's going to use then they are going to put that in the pool anyway so what's the difference? I don't mind classrooms asking for cleenex, printer paper etc but I don't get why all the colored pencils, normal pencils and and all other small supplies need to be pooled. I also really hate that it's on the list I buy 2 big boxes of dry erase markers that are used for the teachers. Those are super expensive and I feel like 2 boxes of 10 markers from each student is excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by gogogadgetsam View Post
    I have never had to buy school supplies outside of a backpack and lunch box. The classrooms will ask for donations but they already have the necessities that they need. I'm not sure if its all of Connecticut that does this or just the two towns I've lived in. It's pretty awesome. however if/when I have to buy school supplies, I won't complain about it. It's whatever.
    That's really awesome! That's NOT how Texas does it at all!

4. Moderator

I have not seen a list I found excessive, and I am fine with communal supplies in public classrooms.

I am glad, however, that DS is homeschooled now and I can buy as I go, picking up only exactly what is needed and will be used efficiently.
  5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I think they are excessive, I have several family members that are teachers so I know that if people want to "take a stand" and not purchase what's on the list then the teachers go out with their own funds to stock their classroom so I buy what's on the list.

I don't agree with the classroom pooling EVERYTHING a child brings in but it's not going to change and if I send DD with only what I think she's going to use then they are going to put that in the pool anyway so what's the difference? I don't mind classrooms asking for cleenex, printer paper etc but I don't get why all the colored pencils, normal pencils and and all other small supplies need to be pooled. I also really hate that it's on the list I buy 2 big boxes of dry erase markers that are used for the teachers. Those are super expensive and I feel like 2 boxes of 10 markers from each student is excessive.

That's really awesome! That's NOT how Texas does it at all!
    Dry erase markers was what specifically started our debate

My argument with those is that the teachers are not the only ones using the dry erase board. They may be the primary but I remember being called up so many times in class to do equations on the board or fill in the blanks or even some of the teachers would have us alternate writing notes for the class onto the board to practice writing. Some classes have small individual dry erase boards for each student to use as well so there is usually a rhyme and reason for what supplies are requested and why they're actually needed! I know it seems excessive but I'm sure there is an actual reason for each thing.

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Dry erase markers was what specifically started our debate

My argument with those is that the teachers are not the only ones using the dry erase board. They may be the primary but I remember being called up so many times in class to do equations on the board or fill in the blanks or even some of the teachers would have us alternate writing notes for the class onto the board to practice writing. Some classes have small individual dry erase boards for each student to use as well so there is usually a rhyme and reason for what supplies are requested and why they're actually needed! I know it seems excessive but I'm sure there is an actual reason for each thing.
    During our last ARD meeting with DD's teachers I specifically asked (for another reason) how often the kids write on the board in class and was told rarely if ever Later on when I started thinking about how many dry erase markers I buy it got me a little aggravated.

Like I said, I buy the stuff and send it I just don't know that it's necessary.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Dry erase markers are used by the kids through the year too. At least, at our last school they were. They would use them for fast math, spelling, ect. It isn't really for the teachers at some schools as they have the smart boards and don't use them much.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    During our last ARD meeting with DD's teachers I specifically asked (for another reason) how often the kids write on the board in class and was told rarely if ever Later on when I started thinking about how many dry erase markers I buy it got me a little aggravated.

Like I said, I buy the stuff and send it I just don't know that it's necessary.
    Okay then yeah I get that if you specifically asked and they said rarely at all then you know it's primarily for the teachers. So I can feel you on that one frustration, those markers definitely aren't cheap!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What always irritated my mom (and me!) was the items that weren't needed until next semester. Every year there would always be 5-6 things that I would take on the first day and then be sent home with them and told to bring them back after Christmas break or whatever. My mom was a single mom with 2 kids when I was in elementary school. Every penny counted and had she known she could have waited a few months to buy a few things it would have been better.

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Some years, yes. The list was excessive. This year I am pleasantly surprised. The longest list is for my 3rd grader. My 4th grader's list is almost half in size. And my 9th grader was just told to bring normal things like paper, notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, etc. But no specific list.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast