Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: School Supply Lists - Do they ask too much?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    I just finished buying my daughter's supplies. She is going into second grade. I spent close to $60 on them, and that is after not having to buy so many of a certain item since she was sent back with 2 boxes of crayons and 2 folders that were never used last year. With how our budget is right now, it does seem a lot to buy especially since the school requires each family to pay a community fee of $30 before the new school year starts. At least it seems like most of this stuff will be her's to use and not a sharing thing like the last 2 years.
  2. Ambitiously Blonde
    Ambitiously Blonde
    The elementary school here was sponsored by a big corporate company who purchased all the supplies for every kid this year. Otherwise, they have long lists. My niece is going into K and all she has to bring this year is a backpack and a nap mat.

However, on our lists normally we had to buy things like:

Germ-x
    Clorox wipes (the 3 pack)
    2 large cans of Folger's coffee
    Paper Towels (the bundle)
    Toilet Paper (bundle)
    Boys- Gallon sized ziploc bags
    Girls- Quart sized ziploc bags
    1 box of tea bags

That's on EVERY child's list. I asked one year when I was working as a staff coordinator for the Boys and Girls Club why the STUDENTS had to buy stuff like coffee and paper towels and tea and I was told point blank by a smirking principal, "To stock the teacher's lounge." I'm glad I didn't have kids (and still don't) attending because I would NOT be purchasing those supplies. To hell with that.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambzie View Post
    The elementary school here was sponsored by a big corporate company who purchased all the supplies for every kid this year. Otherwise, they have long lists. My niece is going into K and all she has to bring this year is a backpack and a nap mat.

Germ-x
    Toilet Paper (bundle)
    1 box of tea bags

That's on EVERY child's list. I asked one year when I was working as a staff coordinator for the Boys and Girls Club why the STUDENTS had to buy stuff like coffee and paper towels and tea and I was told point blank by a smirking principal, "To stock the teacher's lounge." I'm glad I didn't have kids (and still don't) attending because I would NOT be purchasing those supplies. To hell with that.
    Yeah I wouldn't be buying the coffee, tea or paper towels.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have human kids (8 furry four legged ones though) so I never knew this was an issue. My only experience with it is at the beginning of the school year, every office store having the lists from the local schools. I always thought these were recommended items for the students.
    I had NO idea that the schools were expecting students to provide supplies for the CLASS, ie communal supplies.
    How long has this been going on? From the posts here, it looks like it is common across the nations.

To me the saddest part about all this though, is how easily people say that they know whatever they don't buy the teacher will be stuck buying. Not as if they are saying the teacher SHOULD have to buy this stuff, but that it is accepted that the teach is expected to buy the stuff. I know teachers have always (as long as I remember back) bought some stuff from their own money, and many stores give teachers a big discount, but wow. I stopped to look at some lists today. Wow.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I don't have human kids (8 furry four legged ones though) so I never knew this was an issue. My only experience with it is at the beginning of the school year, every office store having the lists from the local schools. I always thought these were recommended items for the students.
    I had NO idea that the schools were expecting students to provide supplies for the CLASS, ie communal supplies.
    How long has this been going on? From the posts here, it looks like it is common across the nations.

To me the saddest part about all this though, is how easily people say that they know whatever they don't buy the teacher will be stuck buying. Not as if they are saying the teacher SHOULD have to buy this stuff, but that it is accepted that the teach is expected to buy the stuff. I know teachers have always (as long as I remember back) bought some stuff from their own money, and many stores give teachers a big discount, but wow. I stopped to look at some lists today. Wow.
    Well ultimately the kids have to have the supplies and if the parents won't provide them and the school won't give them funds the teachers are forced to go out and get them and pay out of pocket. It's a sad truth and ultimately the reason I suck it up and buy what's on the list but doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambzie View Post

Germ-x
    Toilet Paper (bundle)
    1 box of tea bags

What I would buy off that list....1 pack clorox wipes, one package of paper towels and the zip lock bags. I would not buy the coffee, tea, toilet paper or bundles of anything. AND I would let everyone I know know exactly why the coffee and tea is being told to be bought.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    What I would buy off that list....1 pack clorox wipes, one package of paper towels and the zip lock bags. I would not buy the coffee, tea, toilet paper or bundles of anything. AND I would let everyone I know know exactly why the coffee and tea is being told to be bought.
    I would probably buy the germ-x too although DD always has her own personal hand sanitizer on her backpack. I don't like sick kids or getting sick when DD brings it home!

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I would probably buy the germ-x too although DD always has her own personal hand sanitizer on her backpack. I don't like sick kids or getting sick when DD brings it home!
    Ah, I didn't even notice that. Yeah I would do that also.
  9. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    This years Kinder list for my daughter consisted of things like crayons, glue, a primary comp book, pocket folders and pencils. The pencils will end up communal. I'm not happy about that. I buy them the good pencils that don't break all the time. I will only be sending her with 2/4 boxes of crayons and 2/4 glues. Shes doesn't need 4 boxes right away. We were also asked for dry erase markers, 6 rolls of paper towels, 3 pack of Clorox wipes and purel as well as Ziploc bags. I will send in one can of wipes & 2 rolls of paper towels. With a note that says when the teacher needs more she is welcome to let me know. I'm just not cool with communal school stuff. I send the money on the good shit for my kids I should not have to supply for other students. This especially applies at DDs school where 100% of the kids at her school are military. Their parents can buy their own stuff. This may make me sound like a bitch but IDK!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567