Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: School Supply Lists - Do they ask too much?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I agree, in theory. But school district budgets have been cut across the entire nation, there simply is nor more money in the budget for incidentals like printer paper and dry erase markers. In my day there were chalk boards, not dry erase boards, chalk is cheap, dry erase markers are not. There also weren't printers, well at least not laser printers, we did get ink jet at some point, but those were mainly in the office, teachers didn't have printers at their disposal like they do now. Budgets haven't increased as technology has, so while the technology is there, the funds to support it are not.
    There is zero reason why the budget can't be increased or restructured. But yeah, in the mean time I get why parents are being asked to share that burden. That's fine but I also think that some of things in this thread like dry erase makers or name brand whatever should be at the parents discretion.
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Same. We definitely bought Kleenex for the classroom but that was always under "optional" supplies. Beyond that? We definitely never got dry erase or printer paper and I'm pretty sure my school district budgeted that in, at least. TBH stuff like that SHOULD be apart of the school's budget IMHO. Teachers should cover things like posters or whatever knick knacks for their class. School should supply the basics and students should just be in charge of like pencils and paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    There is zero reason why the budget can't be increased or restructured. But yeah, in the mean time I get why parents are being asked to share that burden. That's fine but I also think that some of things in this thread like dry erase makers or name brand whatever should be at the parents discretion.
    It SHOULD be a part of the schools budget to provide those supplies to the teachers but the sad reality now a days is that it isn't affordable at all with the amount of funding being cut from the education budget. Especially here in Texas. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 they cut about $5 billion dollars from the public education fund and that hit a lot of schools hard. Currently they are arguing in the legislature to bring some of those funds back to the public school system but it is still a very broken system.

3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    It SHOULD be a part of the schools budget to provide those supplies to the teachers but the sad reality now a days is that it isn't affordable at all with the amount of funding being cut from the education budget. Especially here in Texas. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 they cut about $5 billion dollars from the public education fund and that hit a lot of schools hard. Currently they are arguing in the legislature to bring some of those funds back to the public school system but it is still a very broken system.
    Yes, funding has been cut in the billions across the nation, some states and districts hit harder than others. The money is simply not there. You can't increase a budget if the money isn't there to increase.

I wanted to also add.. my opinion and thoughts are for the public school system only. Private school systems, IMO, are not subject to this sort of debate because they do not fall under state funding. They are almost strictly based on tuition and church (if its a church based one) funds, or parishoners.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I loathed the sharing aspect of supplies. I was helping with crafts in the Kindergarten room and this kid was reaching in the bin, breaking the crayons, and then rummaging around to find the one he "needed". I finally realized what he was doing. I asked him why he was breaking the crayons and all he could say was "because I want to". And the cheap crayons are not accepted at a lot of schools anymore. They have to be Crayola. You must buy certain brands of glue, crayons, pencils, and colored pencils. This was at every single school my kids attended before we started homeschooling.

A lot of schools are going to smart boards also. They require a special marker. There is times when regular white board is used so I don't see those ever coming off the list in my life time.

Over all, the money you pour into kids is getting to be more insane. In some schools they require all supplies and an activity fee.
  5. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    And on the funding issue I think a little less money going into new sports arenas, and fields and into actual education would make a world of difference.
  6. Senior Member
    I'm not into the whole communal supply thing. The only classroom items my mom ever had to buy were tissues, everything else on the list was solely for me. Idk if that's because I went to private school or if it's just a change of the times, though.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    And on the funding issue I think a little less money going into new sports arenas, and fields and into actual education would make a world of difference.
    Where are you finding that the budgets are going to these things?
    In my district this isn't the case. We haven't build a new field since we've lived here, and upkeep comes out of the budget and tax payer money. New fields are only built with a new shcool

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Ok, I just found out from a friend who teaches in our old district, they require students to have paper, pens, their own markers/colored pencils and none of this communal shit. No kleenex, no printer paper, no rulers- thats all done by the schools. Its straight up supplies.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    Yeah, it's not like there isn't money anywhere that can't be reshuffled around.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    I agree with this. A few things I can understand (like Kleenex and stuff) but I don't think parents should have to spend hundreds of dollars a year on school supplies - but teachers shouldn't just have to pay out of pocket either.

Texas it's nuts how they gutted our education system. I think taxes should fund public schools but good luck getting people to agree to that, ugh. Everyone thinks someone else should pay.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast