Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School Supply Lists - Do they ask too much?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose. View Post
    What always irritated my mom (and me!) was the items that weren't needed until next semester. Every year there would always be 5-6 things that I would take on the first day and then be sent home with them and told to bring them back after Christmas break or whatever. My mom was a single mom with 2 kids when I was in elementary school. Every penny counted and had she known she could have waited a few months to buy a few things it would have been better.
    Now days, it is cheaper to purchase it when the sale is. Purchasing crayons now at $.5 a box compared to the $2.50 is better....
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  2. Senior Member
    Last year was our first year buying supplies. It didn't seem that excessive to me, and anything that wasn't used (mainly dry erase markers) was sent back at the end of the year so we'll just send them with him this year.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogadgetsam View Post
    I have never had to buy school supplies outside of a backpack and lunch box. The classrooms will ask for donations but they already have the necessities that they need. I'm not sure if its all of Connecticut that does this or just the two towns I've lived in. It's pretty awesome. however if/when I have to buy school supplies, I won't complain about it. It's whatever.
    That is great.. this has NEVER happened in any state my kids have been in school.

To the OP...
    I'm not sure my take really. There have been times where I felt I spent a crap ton, and then my sons still didn't have enough supplies (due to the communal thing) and I had go buy more supplies mid way through.

My thoughts are, if I buy all the school supplies required, and possibly extra of those I know are used often (like crayons and pencils) then my child should not go without, nor should I have to resupply midway through the year. My kid should have enough, if I bought enough for him.

The excessive part for me is when teachers demand they buy name brand, such as they HAVE to Crayola crayons and markers, or PaperMate pens, or Five-Star Mead notebooks. They won't allow generic versions of supplies. This is where I get irate. I shouldn't have to spend $4 on a box of crayons when I can spend $1, nor should I have to spend $7 on a notebook when I can get one for 50cents.

I understand that funding has reduced and teachers shouldn't have to fork out a ton of supplies for their classrooms, but they need to be respectful and realize that I am buying my kid supplies for him.. I'm not there to supply the entire classroom throughout the year.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Is there some great change that occurred that I never knew about? Growing up, my mom never had to buy communal shit.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Is there some great change that occurred that I never knew about? Growing up, my mom never had to buy communal shit.
    Same here, we never had communal supplies.. even my oldest didn't have it.. it was when my youngest started kindergarten (he's going into 6th now) when it all of a sudden became a thing.

I think it stemmed from a couple things:
    1. Funding for supplies dwindled
    2. Teachers feel they aren't paid enough to provide supplies
    3. Poor kids unable to purchase supplies, so those who could afford were expected to help
    4. Just because we allowed it to happen

All my opinion of course, I cannot confirm how or why it happened, just my perception based on what I've seen/heard at my son's schools

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Same. We definitely bought Kleenex for the classroom but that was always under "optional" supplies. Beyond that? We definitely never got dry erase or printer paper and I'm pretty sure my school district budgeted that in, at least. TBH stuff like that SHOULD be apart of the school's budget IMHO. Teachers should cover things like posters or whatever knick knacks for their class. School should supply the basics and students should just be in charge of like pencils and paper.
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    We didn't even have dry erase boards in Elementary school...

life's a party, rock your body
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Same. We definitely bought Kleenex for the classroom but that was always under "optional" supplies. Beyond that? We definitely never got dry erase or printer paper and I'm pretty sure my school district budgeted that in, at least. TBH stuff like that SHOULD be apart of the school's budget IMHO. Teachers should cover things like posters or whatever knick knacks for their class. School should supply the basics and students should just be in charge of like pencils and paper.
    I agree, in theory. But school district budgets have been cut across the entire nation, there simply is nor more money in the budget for incidentals like printer paper and dry erase markers. In my day there were chalk boards, not dry erase boards, chalk is cheap, dry erase markers are not. There also weren't printers, well at least not laser printers, we did get ink jet at some point, but those were mainly in the office, teachers didn't have printers at their disposal like they do now. Budgets haven't increased as technology has, so while the technology is there, the funds to support it are not.

9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post
    communist....
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post
    Yea, I'm sitting here trying to remember if we had to bring chalk. All I ever remember bringing to share with the class was Kleenex. We all had our own stuff. The teacher usually had a bin of crayons and whatever in case some kids didn't have their own.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast