Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy/Marine 18 weeks maternity leave for active duty WOMEN

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Navy/Marine 18 weeks maternity leave for active duty WOMEN

Advertisements
    SECNAV Announces New Maternity Leave Policy

I think it's too much but whatever. Where is paternity leave coming in? I think if it's not across the board it isn't fair.

Also how many MORE active duty are gonna get knocked up for ~5 months free vacation?
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I think paternity leave should be included. What do men get now - like 9 days or something?

Unfortunately, I wonder the same thing as you in regards to people having children to get some free leave.

3. Senior Member
    Eh, I don't think maternity leave exactly counts as "free" leave. You do have to have a baby to get it, after all.

Personally, I think it's great. I think if you believe that women belong in the military, then you kind of have to support this, or something like it. I can't imagine a job that requires me to be away from my children, sometimes for a year at a time, and only gives me six weeks of leave when having a baby. A lot of women choose not to make a career out of being in the military because previous policies weren't exactly family friendly. Now, talented women will have incentive to stay in.

My roommate had 8 years in as an officer and was really good at her job, but unfortunately chose to get out, simply because she couldn't imagine having kids while in.
  4. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Eh, I don't think maternity leave exactly counts as "free" leave. You do have to have a baby to get it, after all.

Personally, I think it's great. I think if you believe that women belong in the military, then you kind of have to support this, or something like it. I can't imagine a job that requires me to be away from my children, sometimes for a year at a time, and only gives me six weeks of leave when having a baby. A lot of women choose not to make a career out of being in the military because previous policies weren't exactly family friendly. Now, talented women will have incentive to stay in.

My roommate had 8 years in as an officer and was really good at her job, but unfortunately chose to get out, simply because she couldn't imagine having kids while in.
    Not everyone values children how you do. Unfortunately, some people have children for certain advantages, this could lead to those situations.

When I think of free leave, I think of leave that hasn't been earned and leave that won't be taken away from their annual leave pot.

5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Honestly I think there are a lot of people who have a lot of stupid reasons for having kids. This, which will be awesome for responsible, loving, intelligent parents, is not, in my opinion, going to make a significant impact on the number of kids whose parents should not have had them.

I do absolutely think that paternity leave should be equal.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

You would be amazed at how many women that "want" to be in and "want" to do their job and be an example and blah blah blah all of a sudden pop up preggers when deployment is looming.

I'll admit it I'm cynical but the military is not a job like other jobs, we've had that discussion. Have your kid on shore duty, not while on a seagoing command where it is going to put extra pressure/work on your coworkers. Have the kid because you're at that point in your life, not because oh shit, lets get out of deployment, oh bonus FIVE MONTHS of free leave now. Before captain save a ho comes in all "you can't plan pregnancy" etc no you cannot, but you sure as shit can ATTEMPT to prevent it and as a former active duty person I saw how many women through prevention out the window when we were lookin at leaving.
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Not everyone values children how you do. Unfortunately, some people have children for certain advantages, this could lead to those situations.

When I think of free leave, I think of leave that hasn't been earned and leave that won't be taken away from their annual leave pot.
    That's the part that is bugging me. If you save up your 75 days and want to use it past your 6 weeks maternaty leave, good on you. But PAID VACATION for having a kid in the military which is what maternity leave pretty much is pisses me off. I'd be comfortable with say a 6 week maternity leave and then an x amount of UNPAID time off to care for the child/acclimate/etc. But paying military members to have a kid and do nothing for five fucking months makes me RAGE.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    That's the part that is bugging me. If you save up your 75 days and want to use it past your 6 weeks maternaty leave, good on you. But PAID VACATION for having a kid in the military which is what maternity leave pretty much is pisses me off. I'd be comfortable with say a 6 week maternity leave and then an x amount of UNPAID time off to care for the child/acclimate/etc. But paying military members to have a kid and do nothing for five fucking months makes me RAGE.
    This.

Six weeks was pleanty for me. Even after a c section.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. Senior Member

Maternity leave policies in the US are horrible compared to other counties. This is a great step forward.
  10. Senior Member

I think it's great, wish I had 18 weeks when I had my son in the navy. I didn't feel ready to return to service both physically and mentally after 6 weeks.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast