Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: Navy/Marine 18 weeks maternity leave for active duty WOMEN

  1. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #51
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Is it only for birth mothers? What if two women soldiers marry and adopt an infant together? Both of them get all that time off? If not, why not? It is maternity leave. Are they any less of a mother than one who gives birth?
    Does one of them have to choose who is going to be the father so that only one of them can take off? I hope not. But lots of problems and discrimination here.
    I don't think it's about being less of a mother or less of a parent... For ME yeah, women who are physically giving birth should get extra consideration in this scenario cause they are the ones birthing the babies and that's pretty damn stressful for a body. They are also the ones breastfeeding. Like 99% of time women will be the ones birthing & breastfeeding.

    I'm not against paternity leave & leave for adopting parents. I just do think mom's who are birthing their own kids do deserve special consideration. 18 weeks divided however they want is overkill IMO. I like the idea of splitting it between the parents but that only works of both parents are military lol.
  2. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    aBr's Avatar
    aBr is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Nellis AFB
    Posts
    616

    #52
    I think 18 weeks is a good amount of time and in fact I think civilians should be getting more time too. And sure, people will always abuse the system, but how many babies can you have for vacation time? You can only support so many people on a military budget. People will always abuse the system but you don't see us canceling all welfare programs just because people have a baby or two more for a bigger section 8 (That's what housing subsidy in Ohio is called, i'm sure it's called other things in other places) allotment. Also, I don't think it's crazy to not want to be separated from your 6 week old.

    I do agree that paternity leave should be longer. Bonding is important for mom AND dad! (Or mom and mom or dad and dad!)
  3. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBär View Post
    You had me until this.
    Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post
    Why is that more special?
    I don't know. I am not being bitchy, I just think that pregnancy isn't special because pretty much anyone can make a baby generally from about age 12 (plus or minus a couple years depending on the girl). But the ones who can't for years and years....I guess that can be special.

    I imagine it sounds like I am backtracking and I am not meaning to.
  4. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Sorry



    I don't know. I am not being bitchy, I just think that pregnancy isn't special because pretty much anyone can make a baby generally from about age 12 (plus or minus a couple years depending on the girl). But the ones who can't for years and years....I guess that can be special.

    I imagine it sounds like I am backtracking and I am not meaning to.
    I agree, it is special to them, and a wonderful gift. BUT it does not require any more time with the new baby, or for recovery, than the mother who just had a child the first time she tried.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    #55
    Double post.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I agree, it is special to them, and a wonderful gift. BUT it does not require any more time with the new baby, or for recovery, than the mother who just had a child the first time she tried.
    Agreed.
  7. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I don't think it's about being less of a mother or less of a parent... For ME yeah, women who are physically giving birth should get extra consideration in this scenario cause they are the ones birthing the babies and that's pretty damn stressful for a body. They are also the ones breastfeeding. Like 99% of time women will be the ones birthing & breastfeeding.

    I'm not against paternity leave & leave for adopting parents. I just do think mom's who are birthing their own kids do deserve special consideration. 18 weeks divided however they want is overkill IMO. I like the idea of splitting it between the parents but that only works of both parents are military lol.
    "Splitting" where only the dad is military means HE gets to take advantage of some of this time, if not all.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •