Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Navy/Marine 18 weeks maternity leave for active duty WOMEN

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Agree.....If it is going to be 18 weeks for women it needs to be 18 weeks for men. Women are not special. I don't know what the current amount is right now for either but I think 4 weeks is plenty for vaginal and 6 for c-section births (for either parent).
    At 4 weeks I was in no condition to return to work, I was in worse shape then my friend who had a C-section! I don't think additional leave for women has to do with the fact that they are "special". It is about bonding with your child and recovering from child birth. Newborns can be extremely challenging and not everyone gets things down in 4 weeks
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSunshine View Post
    At 4 weeks I was in no condition to return to work, I was in worse shape then my friend who had a C-section! I don't think additional leave for women has to do with the fact that they are "special". It is about bonding with your child and recovering from child birth. Newborns can be extremely challenging and not everyone gets things down in 4 weeks
    As for recovery time. men don't need to recover. We didn't have an alien just rip up our lower parts trying to get out, nor did we get ourselves cut open trying to get it out.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I'm sorry but no. I agree men should have equal paternity leave, like many other countries. But seriously, women aren't special? Especially those that have housed and birthed tiny humans? That's pretty damn special. And giving some families longer to bond with their new baby based solely on how they were birthed? You do realize that the number of elective c-sections would skyrocket, right? And women would be having unnecessary surgery to be able to stay home with their child longer? I delivered my son vaginally but had a severe postpartum hemorrhage in which I lost over a liter of blood. My hemoglobin was 6. I'm amazed they didn't make me have a transfusion. It took 6 weeks for my hemoglobin levels to return to normal. At 4 weeks I was still winded after a walk around the block, when I had been doing CrossFit type workouts up til 32 weeks pregnant.

Women NEED at least 6 weeks to establish breastfeeding and their supply (if they choose to breastfeed) and to bond with their baby. Giving less time is almost cruel (in my unabashedly biased, new mom point of view).
    No women aren't special. I don't get why people think that getting pregnant and popping out a kid is in any way shape or form special or incredible or some huge thing. Yes some women suffer from infertility, and that sucks wanting a child and having difficulties conceiving but can we just cut the crap with You're So Special Because You Spawned? Yay congratulations you had sex and got knocked up. I don't get why it's heralded as this amazing feat when it really isn't that amazing. You don't see people praising dogs that have a bunch of litters or rats that will pop out 18 babies at a time. Or an elephant that is pregnant for TWO YEARS. Reproduction does not make you special.
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I do like the idea of a set amount of time for the parents to split, I could get onboard with that.
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It can be used intermittently over a year? How on earth is a command supposed to plan around that?

It's great for the moms, but sucks for everyone else in the command who is working more because a few people are out, yet their billets are considered filled, so the command is left short-staffed.
    It really sucks for everyone else, especially right before a deployment. People have to pick up all the extra slack for someone being out that long.

I'm so curious how this would work in billets like my DH's right now. He's recruiting and even four days of leave can backlog him and their RSS. How in the world would they deal with an 18 week loss?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    All I know now is that I'd rather only get 1 week of maternity leave than be an elephant. Damn.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    It really sucks for everyone else, especially right before a deployment. People have to pick up all the extra slack for someone being out that long.

I'm so curious how this would work in billets like my DH's right now. He's recruiting and even four days of leave can backlog him and their RSS. How in the world would they deal with an 18 week loss?
    Its called not planning ahead. Something the military does not need more of.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post

omg seriously. DH's office is literally down to 3 cpls and they JUST got a master sergeant a few weeks ago. They were busy enough 6 months ago when they had 10 workers but they all keep leaving or getting out and no one is there to replace them.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Is it only for birth mothers? What if two women soldiers marry and adopt an infant together? Both of them get all that time off? If not, why not? It is maternity leave. Are they any less of a mother than one who gives birth?
    Does one of them have to choose who is going to be the father so that only one of them can take off? I hope not. But lots of problems and discrimination here.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Is it only for birth mothers? What if two women soldiers marry and adopt an infant together? Both of them get all that time off? If not, why not? It is maternity leave. Are they any less of a mother than one who gives birth?
    Does one of them have to choose who is going to be the father so that only one of them can take off? I hope not. But lots of problems and discrimination here.
    What if two MEN soldiers marry and adopt an infant? Are they both SOL?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast