Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy/Marine 18 weeks maternity leave for active duty WOMEN

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Advertisements
    I like it and think it is a good place to start. Women get the short end of the stick on a lot of things. Yes, men deserve leave too but I'll take the step forward in infant bonding time. I also think that focusing on women who abuse it is a disservice and skews the perspective that most don't.
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Let me be clear: I think maternity leave is a great thing. I think the US really needs to catch up with other western countries in that aspect and grant longer leave. I have never had a child, so I don't know how long it takes to recover (on average). However, I also think it's important for fathers to have paternity leave. It is my understanding that they hardly get any leave once their kid is born, which doesn't seem right. Also, I know plenty of women in the service who have families and make it work, so that argument/excuse doesn't really work for me.

3. Senior Member

Personally for me if I had been able to stay home with Aria for 16 weeks it would have been EXTREMELY hard to go back to work. I did take 4 extra weeks on top of my 6weeks because I wanted her to go to daycare after getting more shots. Going back after 10 weeks was tough but it wasn't bad for me, I just feel 16 is a lot of 1 on 1 bonding to stop having.
  4. Senior Member
    It can be used intermittently over a year? How on earth is a command supposed to plan around that?

It's great for the moms, but sucks for everyone else in the command who is working more because a few people are out, yet their billets are considered filled, so the command is left short-staffed.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    SECNAV Announces New Maternity Leave Policy

I think it's too much but whatever. Where is paternity leave coming in? I think if it's not across the board it isn't fair.

Also how many MORE active duty are gonna get knocked up for ~5 months free vacation?
    Agree.....If it is going to be 18 weeks for women it needs to be 18 weeks for men. Women are not special. I don't know what the current amount is right now for either but I think 4 weeks is plenty for vaginal and 6 for c-section births (for either parent).
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Agree.....If it is going to be 18 weeks for women it needs to be 18 weeks for men. Women are not special. I don't know what the current amount is right now for either but I think 4 weeks is plenty for vaginal and 6 for c-section births (for either parent).
    I'm sorry but no. I agree men should have equal paternity leave, like many other countries. But seriously, women aren't special? Especially those that have housed and birthed tiny humans? That's pretty damn special. And giving some families longer to bond with their new baby based solely on how they were birthed? You do realize that the number of elective c-sections would skyrocket, right? And women would be having unnecessary surgery to be able to stay home with their child longer? I delivered my son vaginally but had a severe postpartum hemorrhage in which I lost over a liter of blood. My hemoglobin was 6. I'm amazed they didn't make me have a transfusion. It took 6 weeks for my hemoglobin levels to return to normal. At 4 weeks I was still winded after a walk around the block, when I had been doing CrossFit type workouts up til 32 weeks pregnant.

Women NEED at least 6 weeks to establish breastfeeding and their supply (if they choose to breastfeed) and to bond with their baby. Giving less time is almost cruel (in my unabashedly biased, new mom point of view).
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) getting pregnant, or taking this leave right before a deployment is and will be a career killer. It happens already.
    2) I am not a parent, but i don't think anything that requires having a kid is a "free vacation. You will be paying for it for the next 18 years. Though some women (and men) are stupid. And some of those are in our military, so who knows.
    3) If it starts getting abused, it will likely be re-examined.

My opinion, this is a bad policy which will be abused. You are in the military and want to have a kid? fine. plan accordingly.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    I think 6 weeks is too short and 18 is too long. Also, I do think women deserve more time than men. Giving birth is a pretty physically draining process. Like what a women goes through is pretty clearly different than men go through. And if they're breast feeding? Like, I'm sorry. Men & women ARE different when it comes to birthing a baby. But only one week of paternity leave is pretty ridiculous, too.
  9. Senior Member
    I think the 18 should be available for BOTH parents, split according to how they see fit. Mom can take all of it, or dad can take all of it, or they can take half the time together, or split it and not overlap. But yeah, I think the option should be there for fathers.
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I'm sorry but no. I agree men should have equal paternity leave, like many other countries. But seriously, women aren't special? Especially those that have housed and birthed tiny humans? That's pretty damn special. And giving some families longer to bond with their new baby based solely on how they were birthed? You do realize that the number of elective c-sections would skyrocket, right? And women would be having unnecessary surgery to be able to stay home with their child longer? I delivered my son vaginally but had a severe postpartum hemorrhage in which I lost over a liter of blood. My hemoglobin was 6. I'm amazed they didn't make me have a transfusion. It took 6 weeks for my hemoglobin levels to return to normal. At 4 weeks I was still winded after a walk around the block, when I had been doing CrossFit type workouts up til 32 weeks pregnant.

Women NEED at least 6 weeks to establish breastfeeding and their supply (if they choose to breastfeed) and to bond with their baby. Giving less time is almost cruel (in my unabashedly biased, new mom point of view).
    Yeah, 4 weeks my ass. I lol at that. Nope. I had fairly smooth recoveries after four of my babies, but dealt with significant supply hurdles and struggles for well-over 6 weeks with my fourth, and I had a very rough recovery, 10+ weeks, after my fifth. And also struggled with supply issues until after 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I think the 18 should be available for BOTH parents, split according to how they see fit. Mom can take all of it, or dad can take all of it, or they can take half the time together, or split it and not overlap. But yeah, I think the option should be there for fathers.

I think 18 weeks total for paternity/maternity leave makes sense. Both members can divide it up however they see fit.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast