Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: S/O.. Paid Maternity Leave

  1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #1

    S/O.. Paid Maternity Leave

    Advertisements
    Paid Maternity Leave was mentioned in the other debate thread, but oddly a friend asked me about this the other day. What my thoughts were about paid maternity leave.
    Her premise for asking me was that she read or saw that America is one of a few countries that doesn't give automatic paid maternity leave, and that other countries find this unacceptable (or something along those lines).


    What are your thoughts on it?
    Should our government automatically give every woman paid maternity leave? and if so, for how long?

    Or do you think maternity leave should be earned (whether through short-term disability plan, or PTO)?

    Any other thoughts regarding the issue?

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #2
    Personally, I don't think the government should pay. I think it should be left up to the employer and how they want to handle the paying of the woman. Beyond the FMLA, I think it is a non-government issue.

    I have had 4 pregnancies 3 I got paid maternity leave (combination of accrued PTO and short-term disability) and one I did not get any pay, but allowed to keep my job because of FMLA.

    I was perfectly okay with it. I chose to have children, and if my having children preventing me from doing my job then I shouldn't have to be paid full pay for a job I am not there to do. I did, however, pay into the short-term disability and accrue enough vacation (as per my company policy) to allow for pay while on maternity leave. Short-term was only 60% of my pay, whereas PTO was full pay.

    I feel a woman should due her diligence to get her finances in order while pregnant or save up as much leave she can before giving birth so they she isn't financially hurting.

    Think about this.. what if the government pays her for 12 weeks of maternity leave and then she decides to never go back to work?

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Twinderella's Avatar
    Twinderella is offline
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    48,077


    #3
    YES. Surely if Canada can manage a widespread maternity leave benefit for it's citizens, we can.


  4. Account Closed
    Yabos's Avatar
    Yabos is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Not Texas
    Posts
    12,236
    #4
    Uhmmm yes. I also read that the US has one of the shortest maternity leaves, which is also bullshit.
  5. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #5
    I think paid PARENTAL leave should be a thing. I work with a lot of guys and it's really sad they only get 1-2 weeks at home with their newborns because there's no paternity leave here. I get that mothers need it for healing and bonding and stuff but there's a ton of people, both moms and dads, who would love that bonding time at home.

    Personally, I think it should come from the gov't, not the employer (unless you work for the gov't) butttt then again I am pretty socialist
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #6
    Why do you think the government should pay for it though?

    Do you think men should get it?

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Why do you think the government should pay for it though?

    Do you think men should get it?
    I'm asking this because the argument I have heard is. 'what about those who either choose to not have kids or can't'. and the question I asked earlier was an argument as well.. 'what if the woman doesn't go back to work, is it then wasted money?'

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Personally, I don't think the government should pay. I think it should be left up to the employer and how they want to handle the paying of the woman. Beyond the FMLA, I think it is a non-government issue.

    I have had 4 pregnancies 3 I got paid maternity leave (combination of accrued PTO and short-term disability) and one I did not get any pay, but allowed to keep my job because of FMLA.

    I was perfectly okay with it. I chose to have children, and if my having children preventing me from doing my job then I shouldn't have to be paid full pay for a job I am not there to do. I did, however, pay into the short-term disability and accrue enough vacation (as per my company policy) to allow for pay while on maternity leave. Short-term was only 60% of my pay, whereas PTO was full pay.

    I feel a woman should due her diligence to get her finances in order while pregnant or save up as much leave she can before giving birth so they she isn't financially hurting.

    Think about this.. what if the government pays her for 12 weeks of maternity leave and then she decides to never go back to work?
    I don't understand the bolded.... so she gets 12 weeks paid and then is unemployed, big deal? How is that different than choosing to leave the workforce to be a SAHM?

    I don't want kids, and sometimes don't even like kids, but I totally think parents get the bullshit end of the deal in the US when it comes to this. How many families would be better off (emotionally, especially), if the parents got a real nice amount of time at home with the kids?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Why do you think the government should pay for it though?

    Do you think men should get it?
    Yeah. I think the parents should get equal amount (like, 4 months each), and they can either both use it, or donate it to the partner. If a guy doesn't want to take time off, he should be able to give his 4 months to his babymama, imo.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Serenity's Avatar
    Serenity is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,130
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I think paid PARENTAL leave should be a thing. I work with a lot of guys and it's really sad they only get 1-2 weeks at home with their newborns because there's no paternity leave here. I get that mothers need it for healing and bonding and stuff but there's a ton of people, both moms and dads, who would love that bonding time at home.

    Personally, I think it should come from the gov't, not the employer (unless you work for the gov't) butttt then again I am pretty socialist

    We have that! And it's awesome. Parents can split their leave as they see fit. And I think you can even save some to take some time off till they're like 3, so you don't have to take it at once. I'd have to look up the specifics, but I'm very fond of our maternity/parental leave.

    And yes, I think it should be a requirement for the employer. I think part is paid by the employer (and they have to, no ifs or buts) and part by the government. You can stay home for a year or even a little longer.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •