Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S/O.. Paid Maternity Leave

1. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Advertisements
    Because having children benefits SOCIETY. It benefits our culture. Those are future tax payers and it has been shown through TONS of research that longer maternity leaves effect families (especially the children) in a multitude of positive ways. It increases breastfeeding rates, increases the rates of women returning to work after having a baby, increases the financial stability of families, improves infant health, reduces maternal stress during pregnancy, there are even small decreases to the infant mortality rates in some groups. If the government isn't responsible for improving the overall health and wellness of the citizens and making positives steps towards improving the society of this country as a whole, who is?

2. Senior Member
    I am on the fence about it. I really like how Sweeden does their maternity/paternity leave. It is shared leave. They provide a couple with like a year or something of leave when a child is born and then the couple can decide who takes how much with like 60 days being allocated for each parent to use or lose I really like that idea since it encourages the men to take leave as well when a child is born. But an entire year is A LOT of leave for the government to provide and I don't know how well that would work here.

I don't get maternity leave. At all. I get 20 days of vacation a year which runs from July 1 to June 30 and I am not allowed to roll over any unused vacation days. So I will be taking 2 weeks of vacation after having the baby and then going back to work after that. It sucks big time. Especially since no day care will take a baby around here until they are 6 weeks old. But I knew this when we decided to get pregnant and I planned accordingly. It still sucks though. And DH will be gone for the first 6-8 weeks of the baby being born and by the time he gets back he won't be eligible to take his paternity leave since he has to take it within 45 days. So no paternity leave for him

So I do wish there was some kind of paid maternity policy provided by the government that encouraged both parents to take some leave after a baby is born/adopted. But I am not sure exactly what the right policy would look like.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I don't understand the bolded.... so she gets 12 weeks paid and then is unemployed, big deal? How is that different than choosing to leave the workforce to be a SAHM?

I don't want kids, and sometimes don't even like kids, but I totally think parents get the bullshit end of the deal in the US when it comes to this. How many families would be better off (emotionally, especially), if the parents got a real nice amount of time at home with the kids?
    I'm just saying in general, if the government (not employer) were to pay for maternity (whatever amount of time.. 12 weeks, 20 weeks) and the woman knew she was quitting and got paid anyway..

I just find that an abuse of govt funding (if it were to happen). You choose to have a baby, get paid for X amount of weeks of maternity and then not go back to the employer?

just thoughts and comments that I've heard people say about it.

I can see the point though.. it isn't right if they get paid govt money and then don't even continue work. The government, IMO, shouldn't pay people to have babies, its a personal choice that the govt shouldn't have to pay for.

And would this government paid maternity leave apply only to working mothers? or would it apply to ALL women (those who don't work)?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I'm just saying in general, if the government (not employer) were to pay for maternity (whatever amount of time.. 12 weeks, 20 weeks) and the woman knew she was quitting and got paid anyway..

I just find that an abuse of govt funding (if it were to happen). You choose to have a baby, get paid for X amount of weeks of maternity and then not go back to the employer?

I can see the point though.. it isn't right if they get paid govt money and then don't even continue work. The government, IMO, shouldn't pay people to have babies, its a personal choice that the govt shouldn't have to pay for.

And would this government paid maternity leave apply only to working mothers? or would it apply to ALL women (those who don't work)?
    But most women do go back... cause they have a job to go back... it's not like you get rich of maternity leave.

And the government wants babies... so yes, they should provide some means for parents to care for them.

Also, maternity leave compensates lost wages, so yeah, women who don't work don't lose wages...
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    We have that! And it's awesome. Parents can split their leave as they see fit. And I think you can even save some to take some time off till they're like 3, so you don't have to take it at once. I'd have to look up the specifics, but I'm very fond of our maternity/parental leave.

And yes, I think it should be a requirement for the employer. I think part is paid by the employer (and they have to, no ifs or buts) and part by the government. You can stay home for a year or even a little longer.
    I can get on board with a shared thing that can be used over time. I can also be on board if part is paid by employer and part by govt.. My issue is all government.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinderella View Post
    Because having children benefits SOCIETY. It benefits our culture. Those are future tax payers and it has been shown through TONS of research that longer maternity leaves effect families (especially the children) in a multitude of positive ways. It increases breastfeeding rates, increases the rates of women returning to work after having a baby, increases the financial stability of families, improves infant health, reduces maternal stress during pregnancy, there are even small decreases to the infant mortality rates in some groups. If the government isn't responsible for improving the overall health and wellness of the citizens and making positives steps towards improving the society of this country as a whole, who is?
    These I can agree with. I do think knowing I would be paid while on maternity leave would make me a better employee, but for me I would want it limited to the 9-12 weeks. IMO more at one time isn't needed. I know its different for each parent, as some need/want only 2 weeks and others want 6 months. I think 9-12 weeks is a happy medium to accommodate most (or many). But I can see your point here.

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I am on the fence about it. I really like how Sweeden does their maternity/paternity leave. It is shared leave. They provide a couple with like a year or something of leave when a child is born and then the couple can decide who takes how much with like 60 days being allocated for each parent to use or lose I really like that idea since it encourages the men to take leave as well when a child is born. But an entire year is A LOT of leave for the government to provide and I don't know how well that would work here.

I don't get maternity leave. At all. I get 20 days of vacation a year which runs from July 1 to June 30 and I am not allowed to roll over any unused vacation days. So I will be taking 2 weeks of vacation after having the baby and then going back to work after that. It sucks big time. Especially since no day care will take a baby around here until they are 6 weeks old. But I knew this when we decided to get pregnant and I planned accordingly. It still sucks though. And DH will be gone for the first 6-8 weeks of the baby being born and by the time he gets back he won't be eligible to take his paternity leave since he has to take it within 45 days. So no paternity leave for him

So I do wish there was some kind of paid maternity policy provided by the government that encouraged both parents to take some leave after a baby is born/adopted. But I am not sure exactly what the right policy would look like.
    Legally, if you've been with the employer for a year or work 1750 hours (which ever comes first) then you are protected under FMLA to get 6-12 weeks of leave. It will be unpaid, but by law it would fall under the FMLA and your employer would be hard pressed to deny it.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post

I had two weeks after each of my kids, too. SUCKED, and I was lucky enough to work from home. I can't imagine if I had to actually be away from them while I was working, too.

7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    But most women do go back... cause they have a job to go back... it's not like you get rich of maternity leave.

And the government wants babies... so yes, they should provide some means for parents to care for them.

Also, maternity leave compensates lost wages, so yeah, women who don't work don't lose wages...
    Unfortunately I know A LOT of women who did not go back to work, and several of those knew before hand that they weren't going back.

If this is really like short term where they get only a percentage of wages, then I could lean more towards it, and if it only applies to women who work..

8. Senior Member
    Unfortunately I know A LOT of women who did not go back to work, and several of those knew before hand that they weren't going back.

If this is really like short term where they get only a percentage of wages, then I could lean more towards it, and if it only applies to women who work..
    Well, why didn't they go back? I assume having childcare might be one reason.

Most women here go back. No why... cause we have affordable or even subsidized childcare. You gotta be able to afford to work.

And it's a high percentage. It's not like pocket change And of course only applies to women who work, and dads.
    (edit: I was wrong, I looked it up. You even get a small amount of money if you don't work.)
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

I guess I don't see it really as abuse of benefits, because it's temporary. I doubt it would be enough to inspire any woman to get pregnant again after the 12 weeks are up. But it is something that the gov't can do to invest, not only in families, but in the future of society as a whole. Babies with not-financially-stressed parents are healthier, happier, etc. And it would give the parents time to decide who, and if, either are going to become a SAHP. I feel like lots of people ASSUME they will be a SAHM or assume they won't, but the feelings change when baby is born. Or maybe the kid comes out broken, like I did, my mom was forced into a role of SAHM for 5 years due to my ridiculous medical problems, and I know it was very tough financially, even with Medicaid. Paid parental leave would have made the transition smoother, imo.

As for it being a personal choice, I agree that it is, but I think the US puts too much stock in "personal choice". Economics has shown that your earnings and job outlooks are rarely driven by personal choice, even engineers and computer scientists are under/un employed. If we can't invest in the people who drive society, why do we expect the economy to survive? And, in many parts of the US with shit-tastic sex education, having a kid is much less of an actual choice, especially if you don't have a planned parenthood or something to help with birth control.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Well, why didn't they go back? I assume having childcare might be one reason.

Most women here go back. No why... cause we have affordable or even subsidized childcare. You gotta be able to afford to work.

And it's a high percentage. It's not like pocket change And of course only applies to women who work, and dads.
    Plus the NIH has studies that prove that providing maternity leave increases the number of women who go back to work so... if that's the concern, it seems like offering MORE would be part of the solution, not the problem.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast