Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check splitting and alcohol

1. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I get a separate check if I'm only paying for myself with only what I order.
    This.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  2. Senior Member
    Yeah I am not a fan of spliting the check, but when that happens I don't do even splittys but what we each ordered and split tax and tip.
  3. Senior Member
    Usually everyone I'm with orders drinks so splitting evenly isn't a huge deal. If I ordered way more than someone else then I'll offer to pay more. Sometimes we each just pay for what we ordered but that usually ends up being a huge pain.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Same as what most others said, I always say at the beginning that my order will be on a separate check.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah... I almost always do separate checks. But if we had agreed upon doing an even split I wouldn't bitch about what someone else got.
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    People had to pay for your kids so I don't see that much different than you paying for their drinks.

I always think it works out in the end. I pay a little more this time and next time maybe i'll pay a little less.

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post
    People had to pay for your kids so I don't see that much different than you paying for their drinks.
    ~Becca~

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh yeah, if the bill was split with 4 kids on your side that's totally fair then. I'm sure that ended up being more expensive than a few beers.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't have a special rule JUST for alcohol when it comes to splitting the check. If I'm truly splitting the check (vs. getting separate checks, which is pretty much the same in practice but I think greatly simplifies things for cases just like this) then I think it makes the most sense to save that for when people are all ordering the same stuff. Like each person orders an appetizer, or you share one big one, that kind of thing.

I don't think there should be a special exception for alcohol. It would annoy me to split a check and someone order a dessert I don't want to eat too.

So my rule for splitting checks is, things are roughly even. I think one person getting drinks breaks that rule, but so does one person bringing a bunch of kids. In this case I think you were both breaking "correct" protocol, so no harm no foul. Unless the drinking person was ordering top shelf all night or just got completely sloshed, I imagine you came out ahead on this one, so I'd be ok with it.

Now if someone showed up with their kids and expected me to split that check BUT also to put my alcohol on a separate tab, I would be pretty annoyed.
  10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I get a separate check if I'm only paying for myself with only what I order.
    ^^

If you're splitting the check then just split it. If you only want to pay for what you got ask for a separate receipt. If you're low on cash and trying to budget and feel bad about not being able to contribute more (and we've all been there and it can be embarrassing) just throw out you find it easier to budget when you have receipts to track all your purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post

I always think it works out in the end. I pay a little more this time and next time maybe i'll pay a little less.

Oh yeah, 4 kids in the mix too? I wouldn't nitpick, kids meals add up!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast