Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: California Set to Mandate Childhood Vaccines

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    I'm torn.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    Good! Hopefully more states will follow. I will never understand how vaccines are even a debatable subject. Unless there is a medical reason (allergy or immunocompromised state) then vaccines should be required.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I'm so torn on this. I don't like the government telling me how to parent my children. However, due to Emery's inability to have some vax, due to her reaction as a baby (I've posted about it before), we rely on the herd immunity to keep her safe.

I think that not vaxing is irresponsible, if there is not a medical reason. So, don't think I am anti-vax. I'm just not sure how I feel, yet, about the government making it law. It will result in more home schooling, which isn't always a great choice. And these non-vax children will still be out in public, still out at Disney World or wherever.

I don't know what the right answer is, except for certain parents to just get their kids vaccinated if they can.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm so torn on this. I don't like the government telling me how to parent my children. However, due to Emery's inability to have some vax, due to her reaction as a baby (I've posted about it before), we rely on the herd immunity to keep her safe.

I think that not vaxing is irresponsible, if there is not a medical reason. So, don't think I am anti-vax. I'm just not sure how I feel, yet, about the government making it law. It will result in more home schooling, which isn't always a great choice. And these non-vax children will still be out in public, still out at Disney World or wherever.

I don't know what the right answer is, except for certain parents to just get their kids vaccinated if they can.
    But the government already does tell you how to parent your child. The law requires that you put your child in a car seat or booster seat, they aren't allowed to sit in the front seat until a certain weight/age, you can't leave your children in the car, you can't neglect them, you can't abuse them, in some states you are not allowed to spank them, in all but 29 states you cannot give them alcohol even in your own home until they are 21, and you have to provide them with a government approved education. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    But the government already does tell you how to parent your child. The law requires that you put your child in a car seat or booster seat, they aren't allowed to sit in the front seat until a certain weight/age, you can't leave your children in the car, you can't neglect them, you can't abuse them, in some states you are not allowed to spank them, in all but 29 states you cannot give them alcohol even in your own home until they are 21, and you have to provide them with a government approved education. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
    Yes, I know this. I wasn't posting to be argumentative either. I am just torn on this. I'm not arguing the science of vaccinations or the need for them. But, as a parent whose child cannot have certain vaccinations due to a horrible, horrible reaction, this makes me torn on the issue. They are taking away personal and religious exemptions. What if they then chose to take away medical exemptions? Will my child be banned from certain places due to the lack of vaccinations she has?

I'm not a doctor. I'm not a scientist. But, I'm a person/parent a little uncomfortable with this. Not sure how I feel yet on it.
  6. Senior Member
    Yes, I know this. I wasn't posting to be argumentative either. I am just torn on this. I'm not arguing the science of vaccinations or the need for them. But, as a parent whose child cannot have certain vaccinations due to a horrible, horrible reaction, this makes me torn on the issue. They are taking away personal and religious exemptions. What if they then chose to take away medical exemptions? Will my child be banned from certain places due to the lack of vaccinations she has?

I'm not a doctor. I'm not a scientist. But, I'm a person/parent a little uncomfortable with this. Not sure how I feel yet on it.
    I don't see them taking away medical exemptions. The issue I see occurring is what qualifies as a medical exemption.

ETA: Overall I'm happy with this but I get why people are uncomfortable with it.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I don't see them taking away medical exemptions. The issue I see occurring is what qualifies as a medical exemption.
    I know I sound like a crazy person and I'm not articulating my point very well.

My daughter is a legit medical exemption and I've had so much crap through the years about vaccinations. Like I would chose to not vax on purpose. It's just frustrating.
  8. Senior Member

They are not going to take away medical exemptions. Laws about requiring vaccines have been proposed multiple times and they always include medical exemptions. Those aren't even questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post

ETA: Overall I'm happy with this but I get why people are uncomfortable with it.
    I agree. I can see some doctors having the bright idea of setting up practice where they provide these parents with their "medical exemption". Hopefully the California Medical Board will be proactive in identifying those practitioners and will take their license away or at least suspend it for a bit as punishment.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I agree. I can see some doctors having the bright idea of setting up practice where they provide these parents with their "medical exemption". Hopefully the California Medical Board will be proactive in identifying those practitioners and will take their license away or at least suspend it for a bit as punishment.
    I can picture that exact same thing happening. There are some real quacks out there.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Which vaccines?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast