Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex education in schools?

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Sex education in schools?

Advertisements
    So I have to write a persuasive essay for my English class and the topic I picked is "should sex ed be taught in schools?" My opinion is a very resounding yes. Reasons being that some kids won't be taught at home or may be taught incorrectly (YOU'LL GET PREGNANT AND DIE!). I have to include opposing viewpoints and other than religious reasons I cannot think of any. So I'm wondering if there is anyone here that thinks sex ed should NOT be taught in schools, and if so would you care to share why?

I put this in debates because I figured there is a chance it might get a little heated. Doubtful, but you never know.
  2. Senior Member
    This is not my opinion becauase I believe it should be taught in schools for the exact reasons you mentioned. But a lot of people claim it will encourage teens to have sex earlier.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I agree whole-heartedly with you. However sex education is basically my profession so I thought I would say some of the things that are arguments we get.
    I would recommend not using 'religious reasons' as a reason and instead breaking it down more than that. Is your argument for comprehensive sex education or just any? Most schools to have abstinence only education. So my counter argument is for why we should have comprehensive sex education.
    Anyways, reasons we get.
    1. Sex education promotes/ encourages teens having sex.
    2. Sex is a private thing and should be discussed within families only.
    3. Instead of 'religious reasons' specify separate parts of it. I.e. condoms/ birth control are against many children's religions.
    4. Parents don't want their children to learn about sex in the school environment.
    5. Stories and questions shared or asked by students can be used as fodder for teasing and bullying

Umm... that's all I have rigHt now. Lol if you need any more help let me know!
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I know some people feel that since it's a sensitive topic, it should be taught by parents rather than the gov't. I think the reasoning behind this is that parents can more easily decide if their children are ready to learn about it, and are potentially better at giving good info. Of course, this assumes that all parents are smart, willing to educate themselves and their kids, and not in denial. But oftentimes schools will disseminate really awful info, even if it is "sex ed". Like, DH never learned that you shouldn't double up on condoms and he totally thought it was a good idea for people to do, which he apparently learned in his high school.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yanksluvr1285 View Post
    This is not my opinion becauase I believe it should be taught in schools for the exact reasons you mentioned. But a lot of people claim it will encourage teens to have sex earlier.
    This is what I was going to say. The other opinion I have heard (again, *I* don't agree with it...I think SexEd makes kids more knowledgeable in how to protect themselves)...is that it is the parent's responsibility to decide how and when their children learn about Sex, and putting Sex Education in schools takes that power away from them. By the time they are getting Sex Education, they already know some things, and if you haven't cleared it up at home, it needs to be cleared up with proper info somewhere. Buuuut. I am sure I am preaching to the choir right now.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I've had this debate a few times in college. Here are some reasons we discussed in one of my classes. Not my opinion though!

-Parents may think it encourages their kids to have sex earlier
    -Younger students won't retain the information because they're not old enough to understand
    -It's the parents' job, not the government's
  7. Senior Member
    I have some non-religious family members what think school should be for academic subjects only; anything else is a waste of taxpayer's money.

I vehemently disagree but that's what some think.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I've had this debate a few times in college. Here are some reasons we discussed in one of my classes. Not my opinion though!

-Parents may think it encourages their kids to have sex earlier
    -Younger students won't retain the information because they're not old enough to understand
    -It's the parents' job, not the government's
    On the bolded, my school taught the most comprehensive sex ed (still not much more than "use condoms or try to wait") when I was 12 so by the time I actually was sexually active, I'd forgotten pretty much all of it My high school did basically nothing on the subject.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    On the bolded, my school taught the most comprehensive sex ed (still not much more than "use condoms or try to wait") when I was 12 so by the time I actually was sexually active, I'd forgotten pretty much all of it My high school did basically nothing on the subject.
    My school actually did a more biological discussion of the human body around 12 - and then we did discuss condoms and waiting....and then in high school we had a more comprehensive health class. Lots of super disgusting pictures in that class. Not just STI's, but drugs, too. Yuck yuck yuck. (I've never done drugs, and I always have safe sex, I think it was effective. X D)
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  10. Senior Member
    It's something that should be taught by the parents? Sex ed in schools can contain false information?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast