Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex education in schools?

1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Advertisements
    Around here its not so black and white (sex ed v no sex ed) but rather the shades of grey. Meaning, what does "comprehensive" all include? Contraceptives? LGBT? At what age do we move from our bodies ourselves to sex? How often do you talk about it?

I'm totally pro sex ed (because obviously from my posts I'm still learning shit about my period!) But I don't have answers for the grey areas and I don't know who does.
  2. Senior Member

I think this topic honestly depends on a lot of circumstances.

Would I rather teach my DD about sex ed? Yes. However, some parents do not get that opportunity.

I teach in a district that has a wide variety of students from those dealing with severe poverty to other whose parents are often out of town and are rarely ever seen. I have thought that student's whose parents are never around for whatever reason need to be taught sex ed somewhere. Otherwise how do they learn? Some, honestly, learn from experience, as sad as that is. I have had students ask me, while 8 months pregnant with DD, if babies really did come out of belly buttons. I referred the question to the parents and the health teacher, because sex ed is in his curriculum. But these were 9th graders! The scary part about that is that a good number of our students, it gets bigger every year, is sexually active. I think that they need to be educated on what it means to be sexually active, including the consequences of being active without using protection, getting pregnant.

We have had a couple of pregnant students who honestly did not think they could get pregnant from sex.

Look at most of the Teen Mom stories. All of those, if not most, of them did not believe they could get pregnant from having unprotected sex just once.

Should parents be responsible for teaching sex ed to their children? Yes. However, most do not for whatever reasons and honestly, teachers are with the kids the same amount of time if not more than parents during the school year. If children/teens are not going to be educated by their parents then by who?
  3. Senior Member
    I honestly can't think of any good reason to be against sex education. As for the argument that kids forget, here in Germany we start with sex education in primary school. Like 4th grade. Of course nothing explicit or contraceptives and stuff, just basics of how pregnancy happens, how those body parts are called, etc. And then it comes up again over the years in biology class, I think the most extensive in like 8th or 9th grade.

I also think sex education should include contraceptives, use thereof and all the STDs you can get. And I also think it should include LGBT as more than just a side note that such people exist... There are gay kids who need to learn that stuff too and it's just not included. Might be now. It's been a few years. It's important for a lot of reasons.

Sure, you could say it should be up to parents to decide when to talk about it or when to talk about it, but on my part, I wouldn't trust that all parents do it, without false information or lots of gaps. School is for educating kids so that's what school should do.

As a side note, I honestly really do not understand the whole not wanting schools to teach that in biology. I really do not.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I honestly can't think of any good reason to be against sex education. As for the argument that kids forget, here in Germany we start with sex education in primary school. Like 4th grade. Of course nothing explicit or contraceptives and stuff, just basics of how pregnancy happens, how those body parts are called, etc. And then it comes up again over the years in biology class, I think the most extensive in like 8th or 9th grade.

I also think sex education should include contraceptives, use thereof and all the STDs you can get. And I also think it should include LGBT as more than just a side note that such people exist... There are gay kids who need to learn that stuff too and it's just not included. Might be now. It's been a few years. It's important for a lot of reasons.

Sure, you could say it should be up to parents to decide when to talk about it or when to talk about it, but on my part, I wouldn't trust that all parents do it, without false information or lots of gaps. School is for educating kids so that's what school should do.

As a side note, I honestly really do not understand the whole not wanting schools to teach that in biology. I really do not.
    If we are more open and honest with children about their bodies, and each other, they will be more comfortable with them.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    If we are more open and honest with children about their bodies, and each other, they will be more comfortable with them.
    And less likely to end up pregnant... it might also help fighting abuse. If kids know a certain touch is wrong and not okay, they might actually talk to a teacher or someone they trust.

It's just such an important thing to teach children, it's not something I feel comfortable leaving up to parents. This might get me yelled at, but I fully stand behind that.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it's the parent's responsibility to teach sex ed at home. School is for learning academic type things.

I never had formal sex ed because I was in private school through 9th grade. My mom told me a few things but was never ready to tell me everything. I turned out fine. Filled in the missing pieces on my own. Got my own birth control when I was 18. Used condoms and didn't get pregnant.

Honestly I think kids will be kids and explore and risk getting pregnant with or without sex Ed so I don't feel that's a valid argument

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    And less likely to end up pregnant... it might also help fighting abuse. If kids know a certain touch is wrong and not okay, they might actually talk to a teacher or someone they trust.

It's just such an important thing to teach children, it's not something I feel comfortable leaving up to parents. This might get me yelled at, but I fully stand behind that.
    No, I completely agree with you. There are shitty people out there who should not be parents, unfortunately. And teachers are told to look for signs and what not. They are told to look for students to write odd things in their journals. Or to touch themselves inappropriately. Or to do whatever. But. What if we started teaching children about their bodies from the time they were young? What if it was part of a "sex education" program that didn't get "graphic" until they were ready for that whose initiative was to empower children with the knowledge to make decisions that were good for them. I feel like abstinence only programs takes all decision making away from kids. You don't even give them a chance to make a good decision. And, they now don't know anything for when they *are* ready to have sex. They become an adult in a committed relationship, and they don't know anything, because they never learned anything. It's kind of like how schools don't teach other adulty things - like applying for loans, filling out taxes, etc....when you become an adult and have to do them, there are lots of adults who are like "uhhh...how do I adult?" Prepare your adults to adult. Prepare children to stand up for themselves. And do not make them ashamed of their bodies. I wonder if things like anorexia would decrease if we started talking to kids about their bodies at a younger age, too. I feel like so many kids are taught that their bodies are something to be ashamed of, but what if they weren't? What if this not only was a "sex education class" but, a "health" class with a trip to "sex ed" for a hot minute.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Do you want this scene happening irl? I didn't think so. KEEP SEX ED OUT OF SCHOOLS.

/sarcasm if that wasn't clear lmao
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post

Do you want this scene happening irl? I didn't think so. KEEP SEX ED OUT OF SCHOOLS.

/sarcasm if that wasn't clear lmao

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose. View Post
    I think it's the parent's responsibility to teach sex ed at home. School is for learning academic type things.

I never had formal sex ed because I was in private school through 9th grade. My mom told me a few things but was never ready to tell me everything. I turned out fine. Filled in the missing pieces on my own. Got my own birth control when I was 18. Used condoms and didn't get pregnant.

Honestly I think kids will be kids and explore and risk getting pregnant with or without sex Ed so I don't feel that's a valid argument
    IMO, education is only maybe a quarter of the battle, the other three-quarters are access to health care/safe sex options and motivation to actually follow through.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast