Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Salaries

1. Senior Member

Teacher Salaries

Advertisements
    Our union is currently in negotiations with our Superintendent and it is not looking good for teachers. We are looking at not getting any raises including cost of living for the 15-16 school year. Another salary freeze again.

I know there is constant debate about what teachers should make. Our county constantly has news articles about how greedy the teachers are in the district.

Thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    The teachers in my state and some other states recently went on strike cause they kept fucking around with salaries and pensions (besides other stuff that the governments have been messing up) and I was pretty annoyed I wasn't allowed to go on strike with them. My state is the one with the lowest salaries for teachers and soon it'll bite them in the ass.

I'm not sure what teachers in the US earn, but I think it isn't much, right? It's an important job and usually undervalued and underpaid. Do unions in the US have any pull to get things done, like going on strike and such?
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    The teachers in my state and some other states recently went on strike cause they kept fucking around with salaries and pensions (besides other stuff that the governments have been messing up) and I was pretty annoyed I wasn't allowed to go on strike with them. My state is the one with the lowest salaries for teachers and soon it'll bite them in the ass.

I'm not sure what teachers in the US earn, but I think it isn't much, right? It's an important job and usually undervalued and underpaid. Do unions in the US have any pull to get things done, like going on strike and such?
    Teacher salaries are normally on a step scale. In a perfect world for every year you are a teacher you would earn a step. I should be on step 7, however, I am on 5.5. They are public knowledge and you can google them to find your county's salary scale. We wouldn't go on strike, however, they are calling for "Work to Rule." This means that we only work during our contracted hours. 7:10-2:40pm. We do not take work home, do not stay late, etc. This would affect recommendation letters for colleges and just grading in general. If we couldn't get it graded during the contract day, it doesn't get graded.
  4. Moderator

I think education is grossly undervalued, and good teachers should be paid more. Of course... I also think our country needs to re-evaluate how we determine how "good" a teacher is. Standardized test results are not the way.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    Teacher salaries are normally on a step scale. In a perfect world for every year you are a teacher you would earn a step. I should be on step 7, however, I am on 5.5. They are public knowledge and you can google them to find your county's salary scale. We wouldn't go on strike, however, they are calling for "Work to Rule." This means that we only work during our contracted hours. 7:10-2:40pm. We do not take work home, do not stay late, etc. This would affect recommendation letters for colleges and just grading in general. If we couldn't get it graded during the contract day, it doesn't get graded.
    So very different from our system. I think we only have like three or 4 steps, and you earn them after a certain number of years, and you get more money no matter what. It's all fixed. I think you get the first raise after 6 months and the next one a few years in. Ours are public knowledge too. (I'm in Germany, everyone earns the same in my state, it's not dependent on county.)

I wonder how effective the 'work to rule' thing is since it seems to affect people too much. (at least not anyone not applying to college) I think here they try to solve things a bit more quickly and make concessions cause when teachers go on strike, lessons are highly affected or don't happen at all.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I think education is grossly undervalued, and good teachers should be paid more. Of course... I also think our country needs to re-evaluate how we determine how "good" a teacher is. Standardized test results are not the way.
    100% agree to the bolded. Teaching to a test does not make me a good teacher. I also teach with others who are horrible teachers, great people, bad teachers, but they could ultimately get the same scores on the tests as a remarkable teacher.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    So very different from our system. I think we only have like three or 4 steps, and you earn them after a certain number of years, and you get more money no matter what. It's all fixed. I think you get the first raise after 6 months and the next one a few years in. Ours are public knowledge too. (I'm in Germany, everyone earns the same in my state, it's not dependent on county.)

I wonder how effective the 'work to rule' thing is since it seems to affect people too much. (at least not anyone not applying to college) I think here they try to solve things a bit more quickly and make concessions cause when teachers go on strike, lessons are highly affected or don't happen at all.
    A lot of other countries treat their teachers much better than the US does.

The "Work the Rule" doesn't really work, unless teachers actually do it. However, most, including myself, care about the students too much to punish them for what the adults cannot figure out.
  8. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Very much agreed. I think it's BS how little you get, and to freeze your wages and not even give you a cost of living wage is ridiculous! Has a student I hated standardized tests, just like I hated the SAT, not every kid can sit and do all that for that long. Not to mention the school seems so oppressive that week.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    100% agree to the bolded. Teaching to a test does not make me a good teacher. I also teach with others who are horrible teachers, great people, bad teachers, but they could ultimately get the same scores on the tests as a remarkable teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    Very much agreed. I think it's BS how little you get, and to freeze your wages and not even give you a cost of living wage is ridiculous! Has a student I hated standardized tests, just like I hated the SAT, not every kid can sit and do all that for that long. Not to mention the school seems so oppressive that week.
    I rock at standardized testing. I had some TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE teachers. I had a physics teacher who decided in the first couple of weeks that our class wasn't going to listen to him, so he showed us DriveSmart videos for an entire unit because he said if he couldn't teach us physics, maybe he could bore us into not killing ourselves with bad driving. His words. I also had some really wonderful, amazing teachers. I would have scored the same on standardized tests either way though. It just tickles my educational fancy.

And that's why I think it's awful. It's awful that the physics teacher who let a whole class sleep through DriveSmart videos for six weeks and then gave out Cs in the class got paid the same amount as the teacher who successfully coached my AP French Lit independent study. It's awful that I could get terrible grades because I chose to be irresponsible and didn't pay attention or do homework or study and good teachers would be penalized for my choices, while others get penalized for students who are trying really, really hard and just can't get it. Or who underperform on standardized testing because their brains are wired for other forms of evaluation. And still others are rewarded for "test floaters" like me.

It sucks. We really need to revolutionize education. We can't encourage teachers to do well this way, and we can't encourage the best people to become teachers this way.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    This, 100%. I saw somewhere that did the math and teachers (on average) aren't even making what they'd make if they were paid minimum wage per hour they're at school, not counting all the after school stuff they have to do. Standardized tests are such bullshit.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast