Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Salaries

1. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I think education is grossly undervalued, and good teachers should be paid more. Of course... I also think our country needs to re-evaluate how we determine how "good" a teacher is. Standardized test results are not the way.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

2. Senior Member

I also think that creating "good" teachers requires more education. I know of so many of the teachers in my building are career changers. Nothing wrong with that, however, I believe that a profession that is educating our country's future leaders should be educated more themselves. I honestly didn't learn much from my BS education classes in college. What prepared me was student teaching and that was only for 3 months. I think we need to begin to model our teacher's education after other countries where it is really tough to become a teacher. I think that in itself would help get rid of the need to have standardized testing to make sure we have "good" teachers.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    I also think that creating "good" teachers requires more education. I know of so many of the teachers in my building are career changers. Nothing wrong with that, however, I believe that a profession that is educating our country's future leaders should be educated more themselves. I honestly didn't learn much from my BS education classes in college. What prepared me was student teaching and that was only for 3 months. I think we need to begin to model our teacher's education after other countries where it is really tough to become a teacher. I think that in itself would help get rid of the need to have standardized testing to make sure we have "good" teachers.
    You can have our system 7 years... with way too many exams. You need an MA plus a 2 year training program, though this one seems to be cut back to one year, but still.

But I agree that it would help getting rid of standardized testing. Plus, that kind of testing is pointless anyways. It doesn't tell you much beyond what students can memorize.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    You can have our system 7 years... with way too many exams. You need an MA plus a 2 year training program, though this one seems to be cut back to one year, but still.

But I agree that it would help getting rid of standardized testing. Plus, that kind of testing is pointless anyways. It doesn't tell you much beyond what students can memorize.
    However, I'm sure you learned a lot more that I did in all those classes. I guess now as a "veteran" teacher, I know that you learn more with experience than anything else. Going through classes on creating lesson plans and other things didn't really help me truly learn how to teach. That's the biggest thing.
  5. Senior Member
    However, I'm sure you learned a lot more that I did in all those classes. I guess now as a "veteran" teacher, I know that you learn more with experience than anything else. Going through classes on creating lesson plans and other things didn't really help me truly learn how to teach. That's the biggest thing.
    Well, I got a lot of theoretical knowledge. And way too much detailed knowledge to ever use in class. The real challenge was to break it down to the level of the kids. There are definitely things that can be left out, but I think they should be replaced by something more useful. I mostly disagree with the amount of exams we had to go through. That was a little excessive. The thing that really taught me practical stuff was teaching English to senior citizens while at uni. They are kinda like kids so that got me experience

How long have you been teaching?
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Well, I got a lot of theoretical knowledge. And way too much detailed knowledge to ever use in class. The real challenge was to break it down to the level of the kids. There are definitely things that can be left out, but I think they should be replaced by something more useful. I mostly disagree with the amount of exams we had to go through. That was a little excessive. The thing that really taught me practical stuff was teaching English to senior citizens while at uni. They are kinda like kids so that got me experience

How long have you been teaching?
    Seven years. The practical stuff comes when you are actually in the classroom. When you can interact with students and see what works with different levels and what doesn't.
  7. Senior Member
    For me, I feel some districts pay the teachers more than enough. Others do not. It just depends on the district. I do not feel all teachers and all districts need to be paid better. Some districts all together are fine, some districts need to be paid better and than in some places just some teachers need to be paid better. It is not an all or nothing for me.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    For me, I feel some districts pay the teachers more than enough. Others do not. It just depends on the district. I do not feel all teachers and all districts need to be paid better. Some districts all together are fine, some districts need to be paid better and than in some places just some teachers need to be paid better. It is not an all or nothing for me.
    Just curious. What amount or salary is more than enough? Since I have only ever been a teacher I just wonder if I'm bias because of all the talk from the other teachers around me that we do not make enough. I don't know what is considered enough in other professions or non-teachers.
  9. Senior Member
    Well, for a district near me some teachers make nearly 100k. The district is wealthy but the cost of living is very very low. I know there are other districts out there like that in other places so for me it is not an all teachers are paid well or all are underpaid. It varies by district at the very least and by teacher to teacher after that.

*while not quite at 100k it is closer to that than further away.
  10. Senior Member
    Seven years. The practical stuff comes when you are actually in the classroom. When you can interact with students and see what works with different levels and what doesn't.
    I already am in the classroom, so I've noticed that. But there are definitely more practical parts that can be included at university, like longer internships than we currently have. Though, every class and age brings its own challenges. My 6th graders this year are worlds apart from my last year's 6th graders, who I now teach in 7th grade. I think that's the most interesting thing I've learned.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast