Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Teacher Salaries

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #11
    Advertisements
    I never know exactly where I land with this topic. TBH, I don't know what teachers make it many states. I'm only familiar with NJ where many of my family members and friends are teachers. Honestly, I have a doctorate as a healthcare professional, live in CT (fairly high cost of living) and will make marginally more than all of the teachers I know. There's no doubt that teaching is a demanding job with very poor guidelines on what makes someone a good teacher. I just don't entirely understand how we determine what appropriate pay is for teachers or for other professionals at that.
  2. Senior Member
    Serenity's Avatar
    Serenity is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,130
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    I never know exactly where I land with this topic. TBH, I don't know what teachers make it many states. I'm only familiar with NJ where many of my family members and friends are teachers. Honestly, I have a doctorate as a healthcare professional, live in CT (fairly high cost of living) and will make marginally more than all of the teachers I know. There's no doubt that teaching is a demanding job with very poor guidelines on what makes someone a good teacher. I just don't entirely understand how we determine what appropriate pay is for teachers or for other professionals at that.
    I guess you can determine how well you pay teachers on what kind of people you want to become teachers. I just finished my whole education process to become a teacher, which in my country is 5 years at the university (degree is equivalent to a MA, we just call it different) and then a 2 year training program. I have to admit, after 7 years and everything I put into this, I do expect to at least have a decent pay that puts me well above minimum pay.

    Teachers are important, because education is important and if people want well-taught children, they need to attract bright and motivated people and whether we like it or not, pay comes into play when you want to win smart people for this job. The department of education of my state advertises for the job with the slogan 'being a teacher out of conviction' (it sounds odd when translated) and we keep joking that conviction is the only thing that made us choose this job, cause it sure ain't the pay. We have quite the over-aging problem in our schools and in just a few years (3 to 6) it's going to bite the state in its ass, cause they're not doing anything to fix it, including raising pay.
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    amandalouwho2's Avatar
    amandalouwho2 is offline
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jarrell, Texas
    Posts
    10,443


    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I think education is grossly undervalued, and good teachers should be paid more. Of course... I also think our country needs to re-evaluate how we determine how "good" a teacher is. Standardized test results are not the way.


    The amount of work a teacher does for the amount of pay they actually receive is just disheartening. I actually got into an argument before on FB because someone tried to say that teachers should be supplying students with all their school supplies (paper, pens, pencils etc.) and that floored me. I asked if they actually knew how much a teacher made and how it seemed fair to require them to pay out of their pocket to provide THEIR child school supplies when they barely make nothing as it is... Also that setting your child up for success with their education is not just the teachers job alone, YOU as their parent play a giant role in that too. Or at least you would think so.


  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I guess you can determine how well you pay teachers on what kind of people you want to become teachers. I just finished my whole education process to become a teacher, which in my country is 5 years at the university (degree is equivalent to a MA, we just call it different) and then a 2 year training program. I have to admit, after 7 years and everything I put into this, I do expect to at least have a decent pay that puts me well above minimum pay.

    Teachers are important, because education is important and if people want well-taught children, they need to attract bright and motivated people and whether we like it or not, pay comes into play when you want to win smart people for this job. The department of education of my state advertises for the job with the slogan 'being a teacher out of conviction' (it sounds odd when translated) and we keep joking that conviction is the only thing that made us choose this job, cause it sure ain't the pay. We have quite the over-aging problem in our schools and in just a few years (3 to 6) it's going to bite the state in its ass, cause they're not doing anything to fix it, including raising pay.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I couldn't agree with you more. I would love the same for my field as $300,000+ in education should probably equate to more than the salary I'll be making. Similarly, it comes with social responsibility and risk. I guess my point is this isn't a situation unique to teachers. And like others have pointed out, there are bad teachers that are protected and good teachers that aren't. But, again, that's seen in other fields.
  5. Senior Member
    CountryStrong's Avatar
    CountryStrong is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,984

    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post


    The amount of work a teacher does for the amount of pay they actually receive is just disheartening. I actually got into an argument before on FB because someone tried to say that teachers should be supplying students with all their school supplies (paper, pens, pencils etc.) and that floored me. I asked if they actually knew how much a teacher made and how it seemed fair to require them to pay out of their pocket to provide THEIR child school supplies when they barely make nothing as it is... Also that setting your child up for success with their education is not just the teachers job alone, YOU as their parent play a giant role in that too. Or at least you would think so.
    To the bolded: A lot of us do this anyway. I always make sure I have extra paper, pens, pencils, etc. This year I had to go out and buy extra novels for my classes because the school didn't have enough.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    To the bolded: A lot of us do this anyway. I always make sure I have extra paper, pens, pencils, etc. This year I had to go out and buy extra novels for my classes because the school didn't have enough.
    Definitely not cool. My SIL is an art teacher so she runs into this frequently. Although my aunt is a lit teacher and has the same problem.
  7. Senior Member
    Serenity's Avatar
    Serenity is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,130
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. I couldn't agree with you more. I would love the same for my field as $300,000+ in education should probably equate to more than the salary I'll be making. Similarly, it comes with social responsibility and risk. I guess my point is this isn't a situation unique to teachers. And like others have pointed out, there are bad teachers that are protected and good teachers that aren't. But, again, that's seen in other fields.
    Oh, I totally agree. I think there are a lot of jobs that are so underpaid, esp anything related to social work. The fields that just don't make anything cause they don't sell anything.

    I also can only speak from my position and being from Germany, we don't have student loans to consider, at least nothing even remotely close to what you paid. I guess a couple of thousands might be the most anyone has to pay back and those are usually government loans and you at most have to pay back half of them. We also don't have the whole teach to the test thing. It is hard to get rid of bad teachers though but I think they try and at least get them out of the classroom and into other positions. Not that that always makes things better
  8. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,561

    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. I couldn't agree with you more. I would love the same for my field as $300,000+ in education should probably equate to more than the salary I'll be making. Similarly, it comes with social responsibility and risk. I guess my point is this isn't a situation unique to teachers. And like others have pointed out, there are bad teachers that are protected and good teachers that aren't. But, again, that's seen in other fields.
    I think a lot of the problem is that we seem to throw money at people for developing rare abilities instead of imperative abilities. We pay SO MUCH for entertainment: sports, media, fashion... and there is nothing inherently wrong with those industries, but putting our financial support there instead of places like education, research and development? It's a priority problem. It's not that entertainment isn't important, but I don't think that we as a society really consider what we're paying for.
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    amandalouwho2's Avatar
    amandalouwho2 is offline
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jarrell, Texas
    Posts
    10,443


    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    To the bolded: A lot of us do this anyway. I always make sure I have extra paper, pens, pencils, etc. This year I had to go out and buy extra novels for my classes because the school didn't have enough.
    I think that's why I was floored by the comment because I know most of you are already doing this like you said. I know my aunt shells out her own money to decorate her classroom or do extra activities for her class if the money she's allotted from the school won't cover it. Their tone from that post though was that teachers should provide supplies for everything requested (I'm not sure if the school lists are different from state to state but they're a little long here!) for each and every student to take the responsibility off the parent completely which is just ridiculous to me.


  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    amandalouwho2's Avatar
    amandalouwho2 is offline
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jarrell, Texas
    Posts
    10,443


    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I think a lot of the problem is that we seem to throw money at people for developing rare abilities instead of imperative abilities. We pay SO MUCH for entertainment: sports, media, fashion... and there is nothing inherently wrong with those industries, but putting our financial support there instead of places like education, research and development? It's a priority problem. It's not that entertainment isn't important, but I don't think that we as a society really consider what we're paying for.
    Soooo much yes with everything you just said. I agree 111110000%.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •