Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: An asking for money via social media WWYD?

1. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    I find gofundme annoying. There are so many that raise my blood pressure. I've seen one that I'm not sure if I can talk about because it involves a banned member from here. Mods it's just names we can't mention right?
    If they were banned, not just closed their account, you can mention them. They lose their right to be protected by TOS when they break enough rules to get themselves banned from the site.

I personally would never make one, but I have contributed to one and shared it on my FB a few times over the last few years for my friend. She is saving for a headstone for her daughter who passed away and her family made a GFM for her friends and family to help her if they want to. She has been direct depositing money into her savings for three years and still can't afford it because they are paying off massive medical bills from when she was alive still. Breaks my heart.

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Twinderella View Post
    If they were banned, not just closed their account, you can mention them. They lose their right to be protected by TOS when they break enough rules to get themselves banned from the site.

I personally would never make one, but I have contributed to one and shared it on my FB a few times over the last few years for my friend. She is saving for a headstone for her daughter who passed away and her family made a GFM for her friends and family to help her if they want to. She has been direct depositing money into her savings for three years and still can't afford it because they are paying off massive medical bills from when she was alive still. Breaks my heart.
    Ok so nutjob shawna anne from way back when that faked the bruise and cuts and scratches and stabbings made a gofundme page. Blows my mind, she's tricked people into giving her over $4k.
  3. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Ok so nutjob shawna anne from way back when that faked the bruise and cuts and scratches and stabbings made a gofundme page. Blows my mind, she's tricked people into giving her over $4k.
    I do remember this one. I don't remember what "happened" though.
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Just as curiosity, for those that would start one if their spouse were critically ill/injured, what if you were the ill/injured one? As I said before I would consider it for my potential lung transplant but I feel like whether it was me or DH who actually set it up, we'd both be aware and in agreement as to whether to do it or not. I guess in this scenario I see it as a joint desicion, not simply a "starting it for myself" thing. Unless people are assuming the ill/injured person is unconscious, I suppose?
    For the record, if you needed to start one for your lungs, I would donate. Without a doubt. And I would not question for a second your motivations.

I would start one for my husband, if we were in desperate straits. (I would probably try to borrow from family first, but realistically, a medical emergency could swamp us.) I would totally oppose one for myself. I'm just really bad at asking for help for myself.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    For the record, if you needed to start one for your lungs, I would donate. Without a doubt. And I would not question for a second your motivations.

I would start one for my husband, if we were in desperate straits. (I would probably try to borrow from family first, but realistically, a medical emergency could swamp us.) I would totally oppose one for myself. I'm just really bad at asking for help for myself.
    I appreciate that I can definitely understand not wanting to ask for help, it's something that has come up recently for me and it is for sure tough. I haven't been in the near death transplant mode yet, but I've been exposed to it and pondered it for years. It's for sure still up in the air for me. I think I'd be more embarrassed if my mom or someone started it for me without my consent rather than deciding together with DH. (As a disclaimer, I'm not at all emotional about this topic or any of the responses. I just find it curious to hear other peoples thoughts on it).
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567