Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An asking for money via social media WWYD?

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    If I have some serious issue, sure, but never for something that frivolous has some that I've seen. I've seen the cost of cancer care, I know a few patients who end up just planning to file bankruptcy because they know they can't dig themselves out of the whole it's going to put them in.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I wouldn't ever do that. I'm not saying I would never borrow money from friends or family if I was in a really tough spot but it would be a last resort sort of thing and I would definitely consider that a loan. Publicly asking for donations is really bizzare IMO.

I see them all the time on fb from dog owners that want help covering a vet expense. IDK I understand that unexpected things happen but I still don't get why other people should help financially. We waited quite a while to get our dog because we wanted to be in a good position to afford whatever might come up. I'd sell stuff or pick up odd jobs before I'd ask someone to give me money for my dog's care. Mostly I believe in preparing ahead of time so that when unexpected things pop up you are covered. Wanting a dog doesn't trump that responsibility.
  3. Senior Member
    I would never set one up for myself.

I think setting one up for yourself is like throwing yourself a bridal shower, poor etiquette. Now if my sister lost everything I might set one up for her.

Ive only once seen obe BS GoFundMe for a vacation and they didnt get a penny. I've mostly seen them for sick family members or unexpected funerals.
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I would never do it and think it's super tacky.

There was a guy who is a very public former addict who got clean about 6 months ago (I went to HS with him) that created one to go to nursing school and I ended up deleting and blocking him because he used his previous addiction as a heart string puller to get people to donate. I was super proud of him for turning his life around and supported him via phone during his rehab and the time following but for him to use his struggles to ask for money to go to school when he could easily get a part time job or get school loans just gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I wouldnt. Its my life- if I can't fund it, why should I try to make other people pay for it.
    This.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    I wouldn't ever do that. I'm not saying I would never borrow money from friends or family if I was in a really tough spot but it would be a last resort sort of thing and I would definitely consider that a loan. Publicly asking for donations is really bizzare IMO.

I see them all the time on fb from dog owners that want help covering a vet expense. IDK I understand that unexpected things happen but I still don't get why other people should help financially. We waited quite a while to get our dog because we wanted to be in a good position to afford whatever might come up. I'd sell stuff or pick up odd jobs before I'd ask someone to give me money for my dog's care. Mostly I believe in preparing ahead of time so that when unexpected things pop up you are covered. Wanting a dog doesn't trump that responsibility.
    I feel very much this same way.

And I don't think I would care as much because social media is weird in that it let's me see things about people's lives that are maybe none of my business so like when an unexpected vet bill or lay off happens and people make these public pleas for money I *personally* am a little inclined to judge like why did you take that trip to Florida and bring your family of 6 to Disneyland for 5 days when you can't afford 1000 for your dogs unexpected surgery or whatever, yknow? Or maybe if you didn't eat out three times a day and check yourself in to all those places for the past year you wouldn't have such a hard time affording XY or Z.

I feel a little like people use these events to get easy money from people because it pulls on their heartstrings, instead of doing the hard thing and figuring it out themselves.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I would entertain the idea for a lung transplant. Everyone I know has had to do some sort of fundraising for their transplant, because you typically need tens of thousands for travel (mostly of your family caregivers) and sometimes living arrangements to be nearer to your hospital after discharge but when you still have daily/weekly appointments.

To be honest though, I'm sick of gofundme, even for people with my disease, so I'm really unlikely to ever do it. It's just gotten too common place, and not even for a big event like transplant, but like "My car broke so I can't pay my co-pays" kind of thing. It sucks for people, but there's just too many of those stories, and unless I personally know someone, I wouldn't donate so I assume others would use the same discretion towards me.
  8. Senior Member
    I can think of almost no circumstance where I'd do it, and I find them presumptuous, self-absorped, and tacky 99% of the time.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I can't think of anything that would make me start one. Some of the ones I have see just make me shake my head. I just can't even begin to imagine posting a link on FB or a buy-sell-trade site asking for money for my vacation, or to pay my astronomical credit card bill, or for plastic surgery.
  10. Senior Member
    I can't think of a reason why I would start one. I think the only way would be if I knew someone who really needed help.....

DH has an ex friend who started one so he could persue an acting career. I thought it was beyond tacky.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast