Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S/O Happy Memorial Day

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't wish people a Happy Memorial day and I don't use it is an day to thank living service members for their service.

I am not, however, a sanctimonious asshole, so I don't care to get self-righteous about what others do with the day. And that's what all the Facebook memes about the differences in holidays seems like to me--a chance to feel superior.

And honestly, there are funeral wakes that include laughter and drinking and joviality. People remember and observe loss differently. So even someone having a drunken bakcyard BBQ and who dares to feel--*gasp!*--happy on Memorial Day might be doing so in a mindful way.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't wish people a Happy Memorial day and I don't use it as a day to thank living service members for their service.

I am not, however, a sanctimonious asshole, so I don't care to get self-righteous about what others do with the day. And that's what all the Facebook memes about the differences in holidays seems like to me--a chance to feel superior.

And honestly, there are funeral wakes that include laughter and drinking and joviality. People remember and observe loss differently. So even someone having a drunken bakcyard BBQ and who dares to feel--*gasp!*--happy on Memorial Day might be doing so in a mindful way.
    This! The first fb meme I saw, I was like-- okay, that's kind of cool, there's lots and lots of people who have NO IDEA what Memorial Day is about, maybe some of them will see it, and "get it" and then by Sunday night more than 3/4's of my news feed was taken up by those meme's and the other 1/4 was posts like, "Those who this holiday represents, please come in for free ice cream" from a local ice cream shop... well that's one way to not have to give away free stuff? I guess? Sooo there's a war of meme's and people still don't get it.

I do think there are far worse things that you can do than thank a service member any day, so people who get bent out of shape about that kind of make me roll my eyes. Yeahhh Memorial Day isn't really the day for that, and some education might be indeed given, but a nasty eye rolling snarky, "don't thank me today, today is for those who have passed on" isn't really solving anything either.
    Last edited by JennyJennJenn; 05-26-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Mistype

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It doesn't upset me when people say "Happy Memorial Day" but I guess I don't say it myself. I don't say much of anything and I don't put much on FB in general. There's nothing wrong with getting together with family and friends to enjoy a weekend. I'd like to think people know what the day signifies and even that they know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day but my opinion doesn't make the world go 'round

I saw a few memes explaining the difference and I didn't take them to be a snooty superiority thing but I also didn't see any that were scolding people for getting it wrong or whatever.

There was only one post I saw that icked me out. She was posing in the bathroom mirror wearing a little american flag outfit making like a pouty face and tugging at her shirt trying to be sexy. "Happy Memorial Day!!! "
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I would never say anything rude to anyone who said "Happy Memorial Day" but we did explain to DD why she shouldn't say that at breakfast yesterday morning because, as with any other holiday, she came bounding down the stairs saying "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY". We didn't get onto her but just explained why it's probably not the best holiday to wish someone a happy day on because it's a day to honor those who have served our country and died in the line of duty. She understood and we moved on with our day

I think it's odd to get offended by someone offering a nicety in our largely un-nice society these days (not that everyone is rude just that with all the technology we don't really interact face to face as much as we used too) so if someone says it to me I smile and nod and say have a nice day.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I would never say anything rude to anyone who said "Happy Memorial Day" but we did explain to DD why she shouldn't say that at breakfast yesterday morning because, as with any other holiday, she came bounding down the stairs saying "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY". We didn't get onto her but just explained why it's probably not the best holiday to wish someone a happy day on because it's a day to honor those who have served our country and died in the line of duty. She understood and we moved on with our day

I think it's odd to get offended by someone offering a nicety in our largely un-nice society these days (not that everyone is rude just that with all the technology we don't really interact face to face as much as we used too) so if someone says it to me I smile and nod and say have a nice day.

This. There's a big difference between a quiet FYI, truly intended to inform someone, and what I perceive to be the tone of the FB memes--judgey, superior, and condescendingly pedantic.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sldanlm View Post
    There's something I read once, about soldiers who gave their lives to defend this country.

"We should not be sad that such men died. We should be glad that such men lived."

General George S. Patton, Jr.
    Perfect. That is how I feel.
  7. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I don't like the phrase but I don't go crazy on people over it.
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Here's another story that, to me, illustrates how disproportionately some are reacting now:

This Coupleā€™s Memorial Day Wedding Photo Did NOT Sit Well With Some People | Top Right News

(I cannot make my computer cooperate to quote what I would like - but the summary is that a couple is pictured praying before their wedding. The groom is in his dress uni. Posters objected to media using a wedding photo . . . but wrongly assumed it was taken for the purpose of commemorating Memorial Day. [The station that shared it did make it about the Memorial Day weekend.])

Edited to clarify.
  9. Senior Member
    I wouldn't freak out about it or anything, but I find saying happy memorial day kinda tacky. There is nothing happy about remembering the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Its like saying happy holocaust remembrance day or something like that. I get there is a difference between the two so don't jump my back, I am just saying. I also don't see a big deal out of someone pointing out what memorial day exactly is.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    I think agree with the common theme here. I'm not going to be bothered by people getting it incorrect, but I'm probably not going to say "Happy Memorial Day" either. It's a day of remembrance, but in a world where the military world is very very separate from the civilian world (more so than it ever has been) there's a lot of people who don't "get it" who don't have that connection, who don't understand what it is to loose people close to you to war... Frankly, I'm just glad it's being acknowledged.
    Sadly there are many within the military community (active duty, dependents and former active duty) who don't know what memorial day actually is.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12