Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: thug is the new nigger

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

thug is the new nigger

Advertisements
    Story on NPR today.
    guest is arguing that the word "thug" when used by white people is a subtle way of saying nigger without saying it.

Thoughts?

(I will try to find a link to the story)
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    I found this: Baltimore councilman tells CNN: 'Thug' is new n-word - CNN.com

I always thought "thugs" were criminals or people who are up to no good

3. Senior Member
    I agree tbh. Obviously it doesn't have the same history but that's exactly how it's being used now.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Everyone uses thug . I feel like he(she?) is just trying to find a way to be offended. Are we just going to have a list of words white people can't say? If so I will have to start saying ne'er do well when referring to a criminal.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I agree tbh. Obviously it doesn't have the same history but that's exactly how it's being used now.
    Yeah, I agree, as well. I have very rarely, I'd like to say never, heard someone refer to a white person, almost always male, thug but many times I've read and heard personally 'thug' in reference to black men who appear to be up to no good.
  6. Regular Member
    As a criminal defense attorney, I have never heard thug used in reference to race. I have many clients whom I consider thugs of all races: black, white, hispanic. I also have many black clients who are not thugs. I disagree that there is a racial connotation to it. I think it's just capitalizing on the race tensions that have enveloped the country lately.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Story on NPR today.
    guest is arguing that the word "thug" when used by white people is a subtle way of saying nigger without saying it.

Thoughts?

(I will try to find a link to the story)
    I have to disagree.

When I think of, or use, the word thug I am not specifying a person of any one race. A thug is a violent person, or criminal. Thugs come in all colors and from all walks of life. Anyone who preaches any differently, in my opinion, is just looking for a reason to be offended.

8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I've only ever heard thug used for black men. So yeah, I agree.
    People tend to use other derogatory words for men of other races, in my experience.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Yeah, I agree, as well. I have very rarely, I'd like to say never, heard someone refer to a white person, almost always male, thug but many times I've read and heard personally 'thug' in reference to black men who appear to be up to no good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I've only ever heard thug used for black men. So yeah, I agree.
    People tend to use other derogatory words for men of other races, in my experience.
    i disagree with these statements...maybe its a regional thing but where I'm from, New Hampshire, the word thug is definitely used to reference anyone who looks like they are up to no good no matter their race. IMO it has always been used more toward lower socioeconomic classes and people who live in poorer areas but there are def white and hispanic people there too.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    i disagree with these statements...maybe its a regional thing but where I'm from, New Hampshire, the word thug is definitely used to reference anyone who looks like they are up to no good no matter their race. IMO it has always been used more toward lower socioeconomic classes and people who live in poorer areas but there are def white and hispanic people there too.
    I would sometimes refer to Aaron Hernandez as a thug while the murder trial was going on. Most news networks here did too (that's probably how the word got stuck in my head). Aaron Hernandez is a former Patriots football player who is Hispanic.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast