Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: thug is the new nigger

1. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Congressman?
    Police officer?
    HAHAHAHA this is actually my favorite thing that's ever been posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ok yeah, the actual definition of the word is not based on any particular race. But it's not about the definition of the word, it'a about how it's being used. And it's absolutely becoming a way for white people on the news to say the n word without really saying it. Come on.
    But yes, seriously. Everyone who's arguing "that's not the meaning of the word" is about five lightyears from the point. The point is that it's become euphemistic. Maybe not directly for the n word, but ABSOLUTELY in every place it's been used in the past few days, in NY, in Ferguson, it was supposed to mean "THAT GHETTO ANGRY BLACK PERSON." Words do not exist in a vacuum; they evolve and they absorb the meaning of their usage. Maybe if you can't see that then look at the variation of people they're calling thugs and try to shove them into your definition... are high school kids thugs? Are teachers who have joined the riots commonly referred to as thugs? Is Carmelo Anthony a thug? So why are they using that word?
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post

But yes, seriously. Everyone who's arguing "that's not the meaning of the word" is about five lightyears from the point. The point is that it's become euphemistic. Maybe not directly for the n word, but ABSOLUTELY in every place it's been used in the past few days, in NY, in Ferguson, it was supposed to mean "THAT GHETTO ANGRY BLACK PERSON." Words do not exist in a vacuum; they evolve and they absorb the meaning of their usage. Maybe if you can't see that then look at the variation of people they're calling thugs and try to shove them into your definition... are high school kids thugs? Are teachers who have joined the riots commonly referred to as thugs? Is Carmelo Anthony a thug? So why are they using that word?
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Senior Member

There's so much I want to say but I've been at work for 11 hours and haven't eaten and my hypoglycemic ass needs food so all I say is I want to say is
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I had this conversation on another message board a while back. (I think it was during the height of Ferguson.)

If asked to picture a "thug", what comes to mind for me is a certain type of person seen in bars in one area of San Diego. Sometimes people called them "Bro Diegos". Ed hardy shirt (though this was 6 years ago), muscled upper body, and probably an MMA wanna be. He's the first guy to call out anyone who so much as looks his way, or bumps him in a crowd. Oh, and he's white.

I whole heartedly disagree that is a substitute for "nigger" or that it is said with an implicit wink, or that it i always and inherently a dog whistle. "You know what I'm really saying, but can't actually say." A thug is a person who starts conflict, is quick to temper and slow to back down, and commits semi-minor crimes like theft or vandalism, often with a component of violent or threat there of. And there are *plenty* of those who are white, Asian, Jewish, Native, Hispanic, and anything else. Even female.

In fact, the notion to me that "thug"="black/nigger" is seemingly kind of racist. It's like people who criticize a black man who speaks clearly and articulately and with a newscaster's accent of not being black enough. They are equating "black" with speaking in a manner generally associated with a lack of education and class. *That's* the racism. And to me, it's the same here. Thug means what it means, and that has nothing to do with race. I won't deny that *some* people use it that way, but some people use "cheap" as a synonym for "Jewish", and that doesn't mean they are actually synonymous. It means the person using the lesser term with that implied wink is racist.

The phrase "act black", as generally used, is racist. POTUS is black (half, and self-identifies as). He speaks articulately. He doesn't seem to have a propensity for temper or violence. He wore mom jeans, for goodness sake, so certainly sagging pants and visible underwear aren't an issue. All those seem to be the things that people claim are part of "acting black". So what they are saying is that to act black is to engage in socially questionable behaviors. No. No. There is no "act black" because there is a huge range of behavior and choice available to black (and other) people. So by accepting that "act black" means those things, we are accepting--and engaging in--racism.

Words have meaning. And while those meanings do evolve, in this case, I think someone is trying to force the evolution, and to cast aspersions on those who disagree with that. And that their notion, while well-intended, it actually grounded in some racism. They hear "thug" and assume that the speaker is referring to black people and really meaning "nigger". They are the one equating "thug" and "nigger" and making assumptions about race. They assume "thug", which actually refers to anti-social and violent behavior is always or almost always meant as "black". That's the racism, not someone calling a violent brute a "thug", regardless of his race.

I love you.

Marry me. You have put into words everything that I couldn't figure out exactly WHY it didn't sit right with me.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

yes there are high school kids that are thugs.

There are white people that are thugs

There are black people that are thugs

There are young teens that are thugs

There are old people that are thugs

There are sober thugs

There are alcoholic thugs

There are mentally ill thugs

Thug can describe someone of any race, age, sexual preference etc. It is NOT indicative of a single race and as Vill laid it out, maybe the people that are trying to classify thug as a racial insult are the ones that are racist. Take a step back and examine what YOU think a thug is and what YOU classify a thug as.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post

There are sober thugs

Thug can describe someone of any race, age, sexual preference etc. It is NOT indicative of a single race and as Vill laid it out, maybe the people that are trying to classify thug as a racial insult are the ones that are racist. Take a step back and examine what YOU think a thug is and what YOU classify a thug as.
    Um, did you even read my post?
    I love that "YOU PEOPLE WHO SAY THINGS ARE RACIST ARE THE REAL RACISTS" argument so much though
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post

There are sober thugs

race/age/gender has nothing to do with it. All in how you act. I called plenty of kids that I went to school with thugs, because they were, they walked around constantly trying to start shit with anyone, including teachers. They were bullies, and I went to a mostly white school. People keep putting attachments to words that have no business being there.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

But it is NOT euphemistic for everyone. I recently moved from a county which was about 1% black. The rest was mixed between Indians, mexicans and whites. And there were a lot of gangs. The word thug was thrown around a lot. and it was always about criminals. No matter the race.
    So yes, in certain areas, there have been outbreaks of thugish behavior by blacks, so the terms has been used to describe them. And when white people are rioting after their team wins or loses a game, they are called thugs as well. These riots just don't make the news.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    But it is NOT euphemistic for everyone. I recently moved from a county which was about 1% black. The rest was mixed between Indians, mexicans and whites. And there were a lot of gangs. The word thug was thrown around a lot. and it was always about criminals. No matter the race.
    So yes, in certain areas, there have been outbreaks of thugish behavior by blacks, so the terms has been used to describe them. And when white people are rioting after their team wins or loses a game, they are called thugs as well. These riots just don't make the news.
    Definitely agree with the bolded. Another reason it is not the same as a racial slur.

Like in what you had in your OP, if the story was actually saying that every single time a white person uses the word "thug" they're really trying to use a slur, I totally disagree with that.

However, a 100% innocent word that's never used as a dogwhistle? Totally disagree with that as well.
  10. Senior Member
    Um, did you even read my post?
    I love that "YOU PEOPLE WHO SAY THINGS ARE RACIST ARE THE REAL RACISTS" argument so much though
    Not all people who say that it is racist are racist or doing so with racial influence, but plenty are.

You say that
    The point is that it's become euphemistic. Maybe not directly for the n word, but ABSOLUTELY in every place it's been used in the past few days, in NY, in Ferguson, it was supposed to mean "THAT GHETTO ANGRY BLACK PERSON."
    Sorry, but no. Nope. Wrong. Absolutely and 100% wrong. I used that word about Ferguson. Because some of those rioters (not the protesters, but the rioters) were thugs. Regardless of race, they were thugs and so I used that word. And I assure you, it wasn't euphemistic for "nigger". You can make that absolute and ridiculous claim, but it's based on nothing and it is patently wrong. And again, it comes back to *your* mind being the one that hears "black person" when I say "thug" about a rioter. When what was on my mind was "violent, opportunistic low life". And on top of that, you claim to know the intentions of "ABSOLUTELY" every person who used that term about Ferguson? Interesting.

Yesterday, there were "thugs" rioting in Istanbul. Am I calling them niggers, too?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456