Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: thug is the new nigger

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I would sometimes refer to Aaron Hernandez as a thug while the murder trial was going on. Most news networks here did too (that's probably how the word got stuck in my head). Aaron Hernandez is a former Patriots football player who is Hispanic.
    Aaron Hernandez is a thug lol.

Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    i disagree with these statements...maybe its a regional thing but where I'm from, New Hampshire, the word thug is definitely used to reference anyone who looks like they are up to no good no matter their race. IMO it has always been used more toward lower socioeconomic classes and people who live in poorer areas but there are def white and hispanic people there too.
    It's not a regional thing. Here in Arizona. it has zero correlation to race. In fact, if one were to argue it had racial undertones, in Arizona, the argument would be thug referenced Hispanic individuals. Same with New Mexico, which is where I'm from.
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I listened to this on the way home from work. I'm not very articulate today, but I can say I've never used the term "thug" with race in mind. I use it the same way I use "punk"

3. Senior Member
    i disagree with these statements...maybe its a regional thing but where I'm from, New Hampshire, the word thug is definitely used to reference anyone who looks like they are up to no good no matter their race. IMO it has always been used more toward lower socioeconomic classes and people who live in poorer areas but there are def white and hispanic people there too.
    Yeah, I think this is how it's used for the most part but I think there are certain people who think "lower class and up to no good" and mentally fill a certain race, which I think is what the author was probably getting at. Haven't read it. I do think certain media types use thug as the "new nigger," though.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I usually only hear it as a joke like "#thug life", but the few times I've heard it used seriously, it was towards a variety of races.
  5. Senior Member
    When I used it this week while referencing the riots I was referring to anyone who was not peacefully protesting. That included white people for sure. I do not attach a race to the word thug.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Yeah, I agree, as well. I have very rarely, I'd like to say never, heard someone refer to a white person, almost always male, thug but many times I've read and heard personally 'thug' in reference to black men who appear to be up to no good.
    So what are white people who act like or are criminals called?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Yeah, I think this is how it's used for the most part but I think there are certain people who think "lower class and up to no good" and mentally fill a certain race, which I think is what the author was probably getting at. Haven't read it. I do think certain media types use thug as the "new nigger," though.
    which is why i said it might be a regional thing...when i think of lower socioeconomic levels/classes I generally think of hispanics or poor whites but we don't really have a lot of african americans where i grew up...now living in VA i associate it more with african americans....
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sldanlm View Post
    So what are white people who act like or are criminals called?
    Congressman?
    Police officer?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Congressman?
    Police officer?
    so all politicians or police officers are criminals to you?? sorry i find that slightly offensive...

a cop or politician who acts like a criminal is therefore a thug...and corrupt....but not all are
  10. Senior Member
    so all politicians or police officers are criminals to you?? sorry i find that slightly offensive...

a cop or politician who acts like a criminal is therefore a thug...and corrupt....but not all all
    I ***Think he is joking...

Guy, you're joking right?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast