Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Freshman dating a Senior

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    I don't think it's really a great situation (whether the boy is the younger one or the girl) but I will acknowledge that it would depend on the specific kids in question. A freshman is coming from middle school/junior high and is looking at 4 years of high school. A senior is looking at colleges and careers, can drive and work. They're just in really different places IMO. I don't think the age difference is a big deal later in life but at those ages the maturity and life experience gap can be pretty huge.

I don't think going to prom together is a big deal but a relationship or a friendship that became very close and kind of isolated them from other friends their own age would worry me. Again, for either gender.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Yep, what Dana said. It's really no one's business but their own, if the parents are fine with it then that's their prerogative.
    Pretty much this.
  3. Senior Member
    Not my kid not my business really.

As long as they're being safe and mature (or I guess what teens call mature at that age).

I wouldn't really be okay with it if it was my kid. Not sure really, not a parent yet so I would probably handle the situation differently when it becomes apparent.

I believe I remember a classmate in my senior year who was 20 yrs old (male) dating a 15 yr old freshman (female).
    There was probably like 1 whisper about it but nobody gave him flack for it.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose. View Post
    I know of several couples like this. and both ways with the guy older and the girl older. Age is just a number. As long as the parents are involved and know whats going on I think its fine
    No Age is NOT just a number. As a pet peeve, that is one of mine. It is usually said by young girls who want to make themselves feel better for dating a much older guy.
    Age is more than just a number. It is a range in a person's physical and emotional development. It can show where a person should be in their life.

It is one of those, in my opinions, one of those stupid throw-out-there lines, like "never go to bed angry" "Its the 'toxins'" and "I have an oil that will cure that," or "no offense meant, but...."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    No Age is NOT just a number. As a pet peeve, that is one of mine. It is usually said by young girls who want to make themselves feel better for dating a much older guy.
    Age is more than just a number. It is a range in a person's physical and emotional development. It can show where a person should be in their life.

It is one of those, in my opinions, one of those stupid throw-out-there lines, like "never go to bed angry" "Its the 'toxins'" and "I have an oil that will cure that," or "no offense meant, but...."
    I do agree with this as well.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't care about age in general. If you (general) have assessed the other person and deemed them to be on par with your maturity, goals and desires, I think it's fine. (This is how I feel regarding high school students (even if an 18 year old senior is involved) and adults. Not a general rule to include predators.)
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Idk if I'd be okay with my kid dating someone that much older because of how different everything is between those ages, BUT it would 100% depend on the maturity level of both my kid and the other one. I'd definitely make sure I trusted them both before allowing it.

^ not a mom, never dated anyone older
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Yeah, I may be the odd one out, but I wouldn't be okay with that. If I was his mom, I'd let them go but I wouldn't be happy or okay with it. I would have lots of open conversations and voice my concerns but I wouldn't forbid it cause I can't imagine that going over well with a teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    Idk if I'd be okay with my kid dating someone that much older because of how different everything is between those ages, BUT it would 100% depend on the maturity level of both my kid and the other one. I'd definitely make sure I trusted them both before allowing it.

^ not a mom, never dated anyone older
    I agree with all of these. I wouldn't be ok with it, but like BK says, it depends on the maturity level. When I look back at those years, regardless of if its senior or freshmen, we were still so super young. Highschool was such an awkward growing phase filled with hormones and self discovery and the thought that we were invincible. (Just as a disclaimer, these things are JMO). Strictly for the mental/emotional maturity aspect of it, what is the point of these types of relationships? There's the inevitable heartbreak when the older one leaves to college, the risk of teen pregnancy, etc. I just feel like dating at those ages, and within that age range is just an awkward time and I'd be wary of my child getting too invested in that. I'm just speaking from personal opinion. I know couples who dated in high school (maybe just a 2 year gap) and are married now. Great, awesome for them. But that's like 1 couple out of many. I know that dating is seen as just for fun, but its a bit terrifying to see how much older this generation is. Every new freshmen I work with at work fills me in on what high school is like nowadays, and I won't believe for a second that the majority isn't sexually active, etc. IDK, it just seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234