Thread: "Free Range" Parenting?

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

"Free Range" Parenting?

Advertisements
    Parents of 'free range children' face CPS scrutiny - CNN Video

Have you guys seen this? Basically these parents let their 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter play at a park 2 blocks from their house by themselves and a concerned citizen called the police when they were spotted walking home alone.

This is the second time this has happened to this couple. The first time was in Dec and now this week. CPS is on it.

I think this is totally crazy! What do ya'll think?
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I don't have a problem with a 10 year old being at a park two blocks away, but I'm not so sure I'd want my 10 year old to be responsible for my 6 year old. It really depends on the kids and the neighborhood/park area.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I find it crazy that cle is involved. I was playing all over my neighborhood at 6-7 years old. It sucks that we live in a world now that we can't teach the kids to have freedom and independence.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I find it crazy that cle is involved. I was playing all over my neighborhood at 6-7 years old. It sucks that we live in a world now that we can't teach the kids to have freedom and independence.
    This is where I am at too. And my boys take off for hours playing down in the creek. They are older now, but when we moved here 7 years ago, it was the same.
  5. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    My brother and I were way independent on our own. Yes even at that age. We looked out for each other. Granted he was ten and I was 8 so not quite so little but my brother and I were more attentive to each other than any baby sitter ever was.
  6. Senior Member
    That's just insane to me. Like does CPS really not have more pressing cases to deal with?

I was extremely overprotected when I was a child. I wasn't even allowed to play in my fenced backyard by myself and I didn't even grow up in an unsafe neighborhood. My parents would have neeeever let me walk to a park alone no matter how close it was, but I don't think anything is wrong with it.

It's really weird the way kids are growing up now. I feel like my generation was the last to have any kind of independence. Like ok I was weird and sheltered, but my friends weren't. My cousins weren't. Even my siblings weren't. It's insane to me that you can't let your kid walk to the park anymore without having CPS called on you.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I definitely don't think CPS should be involved.

I Eelizah
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I think it's nuts. Doesn't make any sense to me why cps are involved. This is not child abuse or neglect in any way.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Count me in the "I think this is insane" boat. Kids in other counties are riding public transportation by themselves at those ages and these kids can't play at a park 2 blocks away??
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Since it is one of the neighbors why wouldn't they just toodle their butt down the street and talk to the parents? The concept of "it takes a village" should not include armchair kibitizing through the window.
    Last edited by Procella; 04-14-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: clarifying, cause its not like I'm not armchair kibitzing either
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast