Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being called mommy

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Being called mommy

Advertisements
    Don't Call Me Mommy - Scary Mommy

Ok, so obviously I don't have kids or anything, but this article and the comments straight up made me lol. A friend of mine posted this on her Facebook today and I don't understand the anger behind it. Why is it such a big deal to be called or not be called mommy?? I mean, so long as my future kid doesn't call me bitch or something or by my first name, I don't care what they call me.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this?? It's just crazy to me
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I guess to each is own, but I love being called mommy. I prefer mommy or mama to mom actually right now When DS called me "Mom" for the first time not long ago I got a little sad because it's more of the grown up term for your parent (at least to me ), and I have trouble accepting he's growing up so quickly on me.

But on a serious note, as long as I'm called some version of "mom" I could care less which one my kids use. I just don't want them calling me by my first name (or obviously the other things you mentioned as well, like bitch, etc).

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    I guess to each is own, but I love being called mommy. I prefer mommy or mama to mom actually right now When DS called me "Mom" for the first time not long ago I got a little sad because it's more of the grown up term for your parent (at least to me ), and I have trouble accepting he's growing up so quickly on me.

But on a serious note, as long as I'm called some version of "mom" I could care less which one my kids use. I just don't want them calling me by my first name (or obviously the other things you mentioned as well, like bitch, etc).
    I call my mom mama or, if I'm being silly, mother. I rarely call her mommy anymore
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Nutmeg View Post
    I call my mom mama or, if I'm being silly, mother. I rarely call her mommy anymore
    Exactly, me either It's always mom or mama. Which is why I cherish it so much when DS still calls me mommy, it to me, is just so sweet and innocent.

Nothing melts me more than walking in the door to have him run up to me yelling "Mommy!!!! You're home!"

5. Senior Member
    I get it. I kind of have an aversion to the word too. My mom was really weird about me and my brothers calling her anything but mommy even when I felt we were way too old for it (like middle school ), so I didn't have a problem when DS started calling me mom when he was 2. I didn't have a visceral reaction to DS calling me mommy though. DH refers to me as mom because I didn't like him saying mommy, so DS picked it up pretty early. DS also likes to call me by my first name (I go by my middle name) when he's in a goofy mood. He still calls DH daddy though, and he's 6. I'm curious how long that will last.
  6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I don't like "mommy" at all. A lot of words that end in "y" really irk me. They sound child-like, which you'd think is fine since it's mostly used by young kids. It's even weirder when older kids say it. In the same way I don't like "wifey" and "hubby" and various common names that end in "y."

My kids call me mama, and I call my mom "mom," "mama" and "mother" when I'm being silly.
    Pax, Aeon
  7. Moderator

I'm not bothered by it, though I don't love being called Mom. I'm more bothered by the judgment I've seen flying around (not here, elsewhere). Implications that if you don't like it you aren't grateful for your kids, and you should just be happy they can call you anything at all and stuff. I mean, I'm grateful my kid can poop but that doesn't mean I have to love the smell of rancid waste in the morning. If it bugs someone, it bugs them. No harm, no foul.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My kids are only allowed to call me a form of mom-mommy, momma, etc. Same goes for my husband. They are to call him a form of dad. Neither of us care which form. There isn't one we like above another or have an aversion to. The 14 year old pretty much sticks with mom and dad....mommy if she is whining and trying to get her way or joking around. The 9 and 7 year old pretty much stick with mom and dad but will mix it up more than our oldest. For our 2 year old, it is mainly mommy and daddy but she does throw in mom and dad here and there.

The older 3 have tested the boundaries and tried to call us by our first names but I promptly stop them. I tell them they do not know us like that. They know us as a mom and dad-or the other forms. And for us, it is a sign of respect. I'm 33, my husband is 38, and we call our parents mom and dad. Even his step-mom he calls mom because she raised him.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I remember my mom being really adamant that she didn't want to be called Ma. Not that we really used it much but I think once we learned it bothered her we would do it to tease her. She thinks it sounds like a farmer's wife or a hillbilly mom or something, or that's why she told us she didn't like it. So the author's cultural reasons for not liking mommy kind of reminded me of that.

I don't think it's bad if parents have a preference of what to be called.
  10. Senior Member
    My kids usually call me mom or mama. My oldest daughter calls me mommy when she isn't feeling good, and that doesn't bother me. But my son will call me mommy when he is not sincerely apologizing for his behavior and it drives me nuts. I guess combine the mommy with the look on his face that shows he pretending to be super sweet bugs the heck out of me.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast